Author Topic: I'm Jesse From Iowa- Have possibly Shanghai Coins  (Read 1803 times)

Offline j.dusheck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
I'm Jesse From Iowa- Have possibly Shanghai Coins
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Jesse and I'm from Iowa. I have been poking around on this forum, trying to learn as much as I could about these coins I have.  I think I have upwards of 50 Shanghai/Chinese Coins, but no absolutely nothing about them.  I'm not a collector or dealer. Just a Grandson of a Grandfather I never got to meet.  For years in my Grandmothers "junk drawer" there was this green military bag that was stamped C.J. Hutchens(my grandfather) and in it was all these 'weird" looking coins.  My Grandparents got divorced in the late 60's I think.  So the bag was just thrown in the "junk drawer" and never touched.  So I have acquired the bag of coins and have decided to find out what I have and if someone out there needs these coins for their collection or could make better use of them than me.  Someone posted on here a link about Shanghai Coins and how they came about.  Was very interesting to me to know that, this is where my Grandfather must have been stationed.  Anyways I'll get pictures uploaded if anyone is interested.  Here is some of what I got:

1- 4th Marine Club 10 cent Trade E.T.R.
2- 10 Loaned for Amusement Only
1- 20 Good For Amusement
1- 10 cent Coupon Venus Cafe
1- 10(on one side) and Looks like a "leaf with grapes" on the other side
1- Charm- this piece has 7 round coins going from small to big.  At the bottom is a little charm like thing.  All pieces are attached together with a piece of string.
1- possibly gold Chinese coin, 1 1/16 of an inch, that has a square hole in the center
1- possibly gold Chinese coin, 11/16 of an inch, with a round hole in the center
1- possibly copper Chinese coin, 13/16 of an inch
1- Chinese coin that is 1 1/16 of an inch that has a large square hole in the center that is not completely "punched" out in the corners of the square.

Thank you for your time   

Offline j.dusheck

• New
Re: I'm Jesse From Iowa- Have possibly Shanghai Coins
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
I have just seen that the last Coin I posted about is from the Shu Han era and is a wu zhu coin.

Offline Bearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
The 4th US Marines were stationed in Shanghai from the 1920's until a few days before Pearl Harbor (Dec 7, 1941). Was your grandfather in the Marines? a merchant seaman? The first 5 items fit the description of tokens used in slot machines in Shanghai. If you can post pictures , I can provide more info. I am leaving today for a trip out of the country for a few weeks, so please be patient if I can't respond immediately.

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »
Dear j.dusheck,

This is KONDi from Shanghai. I am a collector and a founder of the Shanghai Token Society (STS). I wrote several posts about Shanghai tokens which you can search here. I would be interested to add those 5:
1- 4th Marine Club 10 cent Trade E.T.R. (which variety you have with ornaments or without?)
2- 10 Loaned for Amusement Only
1- 20 Good For Amusement
1- 10 cent Coupon Venus Cafe
1- 10(on one side) and Looks like a "leaf with grapes" on the other side (you must talking about t26)
to my collection.

Would you be so kind and share photos of your Shanghai tokens with me. I would be happy to see all 50 of them. Would you be interested to trade for some other items or do you want to resell them?

Please send me photos on my email: cfrost1984@gmail.com

From Shanghai - KONDi -
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)