Author Topic: New Expo Medal: 2014 Singapore Coin Expo Bimetal with Dragon & Phoenix  (Read 4113 times)

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
Although this is not a precious metal bimetal medal but a Brass-Copper Bimetal, I find this one of the more beautiful designs I've seen in awhile. I also think that Singapore, with its reputation of an enthusiastic coin collecting audience-based on reports of many successful coin expos in the past-might exhibit strong demand for this item even though it isnt a precious metal medal. I think that the decision to make a bimetal puts this medal into a classy category that may earn more investor-collector interest than if it were just a brass or copper medal.

I like the clean design that is similar to the 1988 San Francisco Coin Expo medal which has the dragon depicted on one side, a medal I own and like very much. But I like the design of this medal more. I think the design of the medal is cleaner, the dragon design is nicer and the phoenix on the other side completes the yin-yang symbology. I also know there are very few dragon-phoenix coins. I am not sure there are any dragon-phoenix medals from major mints. I am pretty sure this is the first dragon phoenix expo medal, and I am also pretty sure this is the first bimetal dragon phoenix medal.

and fewer medals, particularly compared to pandas, but dragon-phoenix is a core design. I speculate that designs like this appeal more to the Asian market than designs like the 2013 Lucky Panda medal, which has the same mintage.

Shanghai Mint:2014 Singapore Coin expo dragon and phoenix China medal with COA, there are still a few available on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shanghai-Mint-2014-Singapore-Coin-expo-dragon-and-phoenix-China-medal-with-COA-/141260989834?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item20e3cfa58a

If you're quick, you might be able to still pick up one of these for around $60 on ebay. There are four left currently priced under $60. The other four $90 (obo). Full disclosure: I own some, but plan to keep them. I think they fit well with the other dragon-phoenix coins I own.

I think that depending on the distribution channels of this item, if distributed well, it may have appreciation potential a bit higher than regular medals. But then again it is priced higher than typical brass or copper medals.

What do others think about the potential for this unique design and use of material?

Offline Contrapunctus

• Trade Count: (0)
Although this is not a precious metal bimetal medal but a Brass-Copper Bimetal, I find this one of the more beautiful designs I've seen in awhile. I also think that Singapore, with its reputation of an enthusiastic coin collecting audience-based on reports of many successful coin expos in the past-might exhibit strong demand for this item even though it isnt a precious metal medal. I think that the decision to make a bimetal puts this medal into a classy category that may earn more investor-collector interest than if it were just a brass or copper medal.

I like the clean design that is similar to the 1988 San Francisco Coin Expo medal which has the dragon depicted on one side, a medal I own and like very much. But I like the design of this medal more. I think the design of the medal is cleaner, the dragon design is nicer and the phoenix on the other side completes the yin-yang symbology. I also know there are very few dragon-phoenix coins. I am not sure there are any dragon-phoenix medals from major mints. I am pretty sure this is the first dragon phoenix expo medal, and I am also pretty sure this is the first bimetal dragon phoenix medal.

and fewer medals, particularly compared to pandas, but dragon-phoenix is a core design. I speculate that designs like this appeal more to the Asian market than designs like the 2013 Lucky Panda medal, which has the same mintage.

Shanghai Mint:2014 Singapore Coin expo dragon and phoenix China medal with COA, there are still a few available on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shanghai-Mint-2014-Singapore-Coin-expo-dragon-and-phoenix-China-medal-with-COA-/141260989834?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item20e3cfa58a

If you're quick, you might be able to still pick up one of these for around $60 on ebay. There are four left currently priced under $60. The other four $90 (obo). Full disclosure: I own some, but plan to keep them. I think they fit well with the other dragon-phoenix coins I own.

I think that depending on the distribution channels of this item, if distributed well, it may have appreciation potential a bit higher than regular medals. But then again it is priced higher than typical brass or copper medals.

What do others think about the potential for this unique design and use of material?

Alot of people preferred the dragon, but I prefer the phoenix more.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Very nice medal.  Will early issue rise faster and higher then low mintage new issue?  Time will tell......

Offline Utah3

• Trade Count: (+3)
Beautiful medal.

It will be interesting to see if beauty translates in to financial appreciation.

Curious if this design would look good on  silver/gold medal.

This conversation on the CCF has increased my anticipation for receiving mine.

I should receive 2 medals this week.

I'll let you know when I receive them.

Utah3

Offline davidt3251

As a $50 medal it has a shot at good percentage appreciation.

It would need to be a precious metal medal for high dollar appreciation. I think it would look great in gold.

As a percentage gain it might go up 200 or 300% the next few years, but the medal is so inexpensive, noone will get rich from it.

To me, its a very nice design that I would like to see in gold.

Offline beethovenooie

where can I buy one today.what mint or ebay site!? thanks...you guys are great!?

Offline davidt3251

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Just picked up 3 from lucky thanks David for sharing it with us, very nice design ,when I get them off to NGC they go ,I will report back the grades.....

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
sold out on ebay?????????????

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
more up on e bay now.........

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Re: New Expo Medal: 2014 Singapore Coin Expo Bimetal with Dragon & Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
Beautiful design and cut...
A few questions come to mind.
Are all MCC molds or die laser cut now?
Will "machined" designs appreciate art the same as hand cut?

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
Re: New Expo Medal: 2014 Singapore Coin Expo Bimetal with Dragon & Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »
I went to buy a couple of more and it appears they are gone again of e bay?