Author Topic: Which coin would you keep (if all else must be sold)? Why?  (Read 10563 times)

Offline trozau

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which coin would you keep (if all else must be sold)? Why?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
I don't see what beauty is in these Vault Protector medals. Both sides are just Chinese words. No panda, no peacock, no people, no scenery.

That's the beauty of it. It goes unnoticed by those who do not know the significance and symbolism it represents to the Asian folks.

On the larger size gold coins, there are quite a few that I drool over. Wish I had ventured into the 5 troz size gold coins and medals (If only I had enough disposable income to afford them).
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
My choice is a gamble, the 1993 Matte God of Longevity.   NGC does not have enough information to grade.   It is on Huong Ruiyong's medal list w/ 999 mintage.    NGC said they have seen about 4 of them and they are very rare.   Traded for this one.   The jury is still out........

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=8954.msg52288;topicseen

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
1989 China 5oz Zhao Gongming God of War & Wealth gold medal
I had to look for that, I have only seen the silver version.
Luckily there was one for sale... very nice!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271457279509

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:06:06 PM by NBM »

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:51:58 PM »
Peter, I think we have previously decided to give Contrapunctus a "pass" as most appreciate his candor and sometimes lighthearted and funny comments. He brings a different perspective which should be valued by all.
I think it is perfectly legit to ask questions about why someone likes a particular coin. That is informative and educational for all. However, I do not agree that it's a positive development to be candid to the point of suggesting that another forum member's choice of favorite coin lacks merit. I don't think that sort of candor deserves a pass and believe it will discourage participation in this forum. To each his own.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
I appreciate open discussions on topics, and I appreciate hearing diverse perspectives,  But, I also appreciate when people take an extra moment to read through what they are about to post, to make sure that it has a constructive tone, and is not likely to alienate other members.  I'll second the preference for this forum to remain a "friendly community."  We can disagree, but let's be civil  N48

No offense to anyone, but I'm just a direct person. Sorry. I don't understand what the Chinese words on the "Vault Protector" mean (I would rather get security guards if I have a vault, just joking :lol:), thus I don't see the beauty of it as it doesn't have pandas, peacocks, animals or scenery. Maybe any member from China would like to introduce this "Vault Protector" and let me know the beauty behind it? Is it in the way the Chinese words are minted that makes this medal beautiful?

That's the beauty of it. It goes unnoticed by those who do not know the significance and symbolism it represents to the Asian folks.

On the larger size gold coins, there are quite a few that I drool over. Wish I had ventured into the 5 troz size gold coins and medals (If only I had enough disposable income to afford them).

May I know what is the significance and symbolism?

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
NBM   you can see why I love it ,huayinshoucang 's price is a little strong IMHO but that sure is a beauty and a lofty grade! ,every time I go to the vault I look at the one I own it gives me a warm glow:) I sure wish I had more fund,s in the late 90's when I bought that there where so many beautiful coins around then,but if I remember correctly it took me about 6 month,s to scrape the 2400 usd together to buy it   next time I will take some pictures the box and coa are quite impressive

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
Which Chinese coin or medal (modern or older) would you keep if you are required to liquidate your coin collection, investment or inventory?  Why?

I like gold pandas for a variety of reasons, but if I could only keep one coin, I might vote for an older Chinese coin: the 1928 Kweichow Auto Dollar.  I looked at my inventory, and this is the Chinese coin that I've had for the longest time, despite buying, selling, and trading quite a bit over the past several years.  If I've kept it this long, I'll probably keep it even longer.  It is a coin I always linger on and admire when I am looking through my collection. 

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »
The 1928 Kweichow Auto Dollar is a great choice.

A few years ago, I was attending a Heritage coin auction in Chicago.  One of the owners of a major auction company was the successful bidder for a Kweichow Auto Dollar.  He was so excited. 

You are fortunate to own a coin which brings you continuing enjoyment.

Mark Bonke

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »
Another coin I had to look up.
It has an interesting history as well as a hidden feature.

A Warlord Produces the China 1928 Auto Dollar
http://www.pcgs.com/News/warlord-produces-china-1928-auto-dollar

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
Another coin I had to look up.
It has an interesting history as well as a hidden feature.

A Warlord Produces the China 1928 Auto Dollar
http://www.pcgs.com/News/warlord-produces-china-1928-auto-dollar

I hadn't heard that story.  Is that really true?  I wonder, when someone who can read Chinese looks at the coin when rotated 90 degrees, do they really see the name?  Or is it a bit of a stretch to suggest that the pattern of the grass blades really form his name?  If it is indeed true, then that only increases the intrigue of the coin for me.  Thanks for sharing that link.  :thumbup:

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
I can't made out his name from the grass.  I believe warloard Zhou Xicheng's chinese name is 周西成.  I just can't see it.

An AU-55 auto dollar was sold for $44,812 in April 2014 Stack's Bowers.  Woof!
http://www.stacksbowers.com/BrowseAuctions/LotArchive/tabid/805/ProductID/758195/AuctionID/6009/Lot/31484/Default.aspx

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
 周西成 has another name 周世杰.

Offline Koala

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 04:18:31 AM »
1983 ungraded 1 oz silver panda coin and 2000 1oz mirrored panda(in OMP).  They are very rare, beautifully designed and cost me a bomb! I will keep them.

Offline AndrewCampbell

• New
    • AC Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 04:07:34 AM »
I am more of a collector to feed my passion and there are lots more vintages which I collect that include antique jewellery as well. Some of them I perform minor restoration to look great on display cases, whilst others just remain in their individual stunning worn condition. Either ways, antiques never fail to amaze me in their own ways.
Andrew Campbell founder and owner of AC Silver has been dealing in antique sterling silver and diamond jewellery since 1977. In addition to his high quality, newly refurbished Newcastle-based shop, Andrew has developed what is now an established and internationally recognised online store.

Offline aragog

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
I would definitely keep 1 sen coin or 10 sen Netherlands` Indies japanese occupation, but I am still hunting for one.
From the coins that I own, I would keep my PRC fen alu collection, it took me much of time and efforts to get  decent one.

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:54 PM »
Interesting thread, hope to see more posts. Heres mine.

At this time, the only coin i'll keep if all others have to be sold would be the 1994 1/4+1/8 Bimetallic Unicorn PF69.

Always thought Bimetallic coins stands out in attractiveness. The unicorn's legs in this coin, compared to all the others in the same year is actually slightly longer and slimmer, which i think is unique. The overall design is very well balanced, both obverse and reverse designs are concise, detailed yet maintaining a clean crisp look and with a good touch of flair and class, very classic 90s style. Size is just nice (1/4s are my favourites), great east meets west theme, and to top it off, the actual mintage is low. 

Caught my attention since i saw it somewhere but never thought could own one due to the price. After a couple of years, came back into collecting and missed a couple chances to buy it at auctions. Waited and waited but none appeared available until recently, one came up at a coin show which i happened to be at and bought it immediately, though the price was higher than recent auction prices and i have to use my other savings reserve, but with no regrets. Would not hesitate to acquire a couple more if chances and dry powder allows :)

Disclosure: i do own a few bimetallic coins.
Ps: Still looking for the 95 bimetallic Unicorn