Author Topic: Which coin would you keep (if all else must be sold)? Why?  (Read 10284 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Which coin would you keep (if all else must be sold)? Why?
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
Which Chinese coin or medal (modern or older) would you keep if you are required to liquidate your coin collection, investment or inventory?  Why?

I would keep my 1996 China 25y gold coin commemorating the Centennial of China Post, NGC PF70UC.  Why?  Design with Dragon stamp.  Low planned mintage (3000) and lower actual/surviving mintage.  Quality dies created very concise coins.  Available for purchase (at the time of my acquisition) for a nominal/low amount.

Mark Bonke

Offline trozau

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which coin would you keep (if all else must be sold)? Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
Tie between:
a) 1987 - 1 troz platinum New York Panda medal
b) Undated 1990 struck - 1 troz gold Bao Yuan Vault Protector medal
Both have limited mintage of 1,000 and both are a complete collection of one (to date) - only 1 troz platinum panda medal struck and only 1 troz gold vault protector medal struck.
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline bonke

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »
I do not own a 1990 one oz vault protector, but I would like to own one.  I have looked at a few at various coin shows.  Unfortunately, they are very expensive in today's marketplace.  I do not know what the actual mintage is, but I do know they are difficult to locate and purchase.

Mark Bonke 

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
As long as I can re-buy from ebay, I would not keep anything. All coins and medals are assets that I can liquid.

Unless the coin is so rare like Saint Gaudens 1933, Bust dollar any date or 20oz silver/gold Peacock 1993.

Offline trozau

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:09:54 PM »
I do not own a 1990 one oz vault protector, but I would like to own one.  I have looked at a few at various coin shows.  Unfortunately, they are very expensive in today's marketplace.  I do not know what the actual mintage is, but I do know they are difficult to locate and purchase.

Mark Bonke 

There is a 1 troz silver version struck also in 1990 which is a lot cheaper and more available. Also the 1985 struck 1/10 troz gold Bao Yuan Vault Protector. I have both of these, as well. 

All three have the same design. Another possible collection of 3.
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline bonke

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
I do have the 1985 gold and 1990 silver vault protectors.  They are special parts of my small collection.

As a collector, I realize that most forum members are investors or dealers.  Still, as a collector, I realize we all have limited resources and, at times, we are required to sell our collections, investments or inventory.  I was just wondering whether there was something which each of you would "hold back" and keep to the end.

Sometime, during the past year, I purchased the 2013 Shanghai Memories gold and silver set.  The design is fantastic with the Shanghai scenes and the Jewish symbolism.  This is still new to my collection.  Over time, I may bond with the gold medal in this set and be very hesitant to sell it.

Mark Bonke 

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
1986 peace due to the theme.  Then for the heck of it, 1996 silver 12 oz panda.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:59 AM »

Mark Bonke 

1990 1oz gold Vault Protector = 1,000 mintage (same as 2013 expo panda 1oz silver medal)
1990 1oz silver VP = 5,000 mintage

I don't see what beauty is in these Vault Protector medals. Both sides are just Chinese words. No panda, no peacock, no people, no scenery.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:01 AM »
Which Chinese coin or medal (modern or older) would you keep if you are required to liquidate your coin collection, investment or inventory?  Why?

This one

:001_wub:

<============
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:05:47 AM by Hippanda »
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:43:11 AM »
There is a tradition on CCF of encouraging positive exchanges of information and I hope that will always continue. I see no need to question or disparage other members' choices of their favorite coins or medals or the historical and cultural context that inspired them. It is my opinion that is not an appropriate approach on this forum. I apologize in advance if I misinterpreted anyone's remarks.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:04:38 AM by PandaCollector »

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:12:19 AM »
Peter, I think we have previously decided to give Contrapunctus a "pass" as most appreciate his candor and sometimes lighthearted and funny comments. He brings a different perspective which should be valued by all.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »
I think it is perfectly legit to ask questions about why someone likes a particular coin. That is informative and educational for all. However, I do not agree that it's a positive development to be candid to the point of suggesting that another forum member's choice of favorite coin lacks merit. I don't think that sort of candor deserves a pass and believe it will discourage participation in this forum. To each his own.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »
I think it is perfectly legit to ask questions about why someone likes a particular coin. That is informative and educational for all. However, I do not agree that it's a positive development to be candid to the point of suggesting that another forum member's choice of favorite coin lacks merit. I don't think that sort of candor deserves a pass and believe it will discourage participation in this forum. To each his own.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

I appreciate open discussions on topics, and I appreciate hearing diverse perspectives,  But, I also appreciate when people take an extra moment to read through what they are about to post, to make sure that it has a constructive tone, and is not likely to alienate other members.  I'll second the preference for this forum to remain a "friendly community."  We can disagree, but let's be civil  N48

Offline bonke

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »
Hippanda

Wow!  A 5oz gold God of Longevity medal.  If I owned this medal, it would be on the top of my "keep list."  I have only seen this medal twice.  Many years ago, at the ANA show in Boston, Nick Brown had one on display.  Then, last year, at the ANA show in Chicago, Robert Mish had one with the original box and COA.  When I had the opportunity to see these medals, I realized this was my favorite design.  You are a fortunate collector / investor to own this particular medal (in my opinion).

Mark Bonke

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
1989 China 5oz Zhao Gongming God of War & Wealth gold medal, I bought it in 1999 the first gold MCC I ever bought,i actually bought it just to hold gold:) beautiful coin,gold was somewhere around 490 per oz spot ,I believe i paid around 90 over spot per oz for the coin ,regardless of the value ,it is still my favorite and for that reason if it had to be the only one ,i would keep it................