Author Topic: NGC cross overs of PCGS MS/PF 70s  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Contrapunctus

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NGC cross overs of PCGS MS/PF 70s
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 04:16:13 AM »
I have two like that. I actually love the even toning. It reminds me of an old copper coin with a beautiful warm red glow.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

I've seen silver coins with rainbow toning. How did they do it? It was so beautiful.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »
Now I couldn't bear to wait while sending coins for grading that I just buy readily graded coins.

I don't know how you see a 68ish coin from a 70ish, so grading is more like a gamble to me. But I do know how to differentiate VF from XF from AU grade.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 12:33:51 AM »
Now I couldn't bear to wait while sending coins for grading that I just buy readily graded coins.

I don't know how you see a 68ish coin from a 70ish, so grading is more like a gamble to me.

One of things NGC has done very well over the years is kept grading turn around time reasonable.  It takes roughly 2-3 weeks to get coins graded and back from NGC, vs. 4-10 weeks with PCGS.  This is one of the primary reasons PCGS pops were so low prior 2011, dealers simply couldn't wait that long for their world coin submissions.  They have improved turn around at PCGS in the last two years, but it is still not competitive with NGC.  Just checked grading times right now and NGC is running 12 business days vs 25 business days for world modern tier. So 100% faster turnaround for NGC, 10% higher prices for NGC, same price for grading fee, this is why NGC is primary grading company for modern Chinese coins right now.  

Grading coins is an art and science, with the help of 6x loupe (don't need higher x) you should be able to see most defects on a coin, if you count more than a couple of defects then it will most likely not grade 69.  It takes years to develop the skill, but once you figure it out it is easy.  Where I struggle is MS62-66, I can't tell them apart.  Even more problematic for me is VF, XF and AU, they all look badly damaged and I can't tell them apart.  That partially explains why I don't own any coins graded below MS69 and rarely sell coins below MS69 to retail customers, instead I wholesale them to dealers because I don't want to sell a coin to a customer that I have no interest in buying back in the future.  Only for rare coins that are impossible to get in 69 will I sometimes break my rule and own or sell a 68 quality coin.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 05:59:02 AM »
One of things NGC has done very well over the years is kept grading turn around time reasonable.  It takes roughly 2-3 weeks to get coins graded and back from NGC, vs. 4-10 weeks with PCGS.  This is one of the primary reasons PCGS pops were so low prior 2011, dealers simply couldn't wait that long for their world coin submissions.  They have improved turn around at PCGS in the last two years, but it is still not competitive with NGC.  Just checked grading times right now and NGC is running 12 business days vs 25 business days for world modern tier. So 100% faster turnaround for NGC, 10% higher prices for NGC, same price for grading fee, this is why NGC is primary grading company for modern Chinese coins right now. 

Grading coins is an art and science, with the help of 6x loupe (don't need higher x) you should be able to see most defects on a coin, if you count more than a couple of defects then it will most likely not grade 69.  It takes years to develop the skill, but once you figure it out it is easy.  Where I struggle is MS62-66, I can't tell them apart.  Even more problematic for me is VF, XF and AU, they all look badly damaged and I can't tell them apart.  That partially explains why I don't own any coins graded below MS69 and rarely sell coins below MS69 to retail customers, instead I wholesale them to dealers because I don't want to sell a coin to a customer that I have no interest in buying back in the future.  Only for rare coins that are impossible to get in 69 will I sometimes break my rule and own or sell a 68 quality coin.

Wow, maybe I should take a course on professional coin grading before I send anymore coins for grading.