Author Topic: Need Help with 1920 5 dollars yuan Shih Kai coin  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Lecoins

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help with 1920 5 dollars yuan Shih Kai coin
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am a probie in coin, please help to id this 1920 5 dollars yuan Shih Kai coi is real or not.

Thanks in advance.

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Need Help with 1920 5 dollars yuan Shih Kai coin
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:57 AM »
Dear Lecoins,

5 yuan 1920 Yuan Shih Kai doesn't even exist. This is modern fantasy coin.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline Lecoins

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
Thanks for the info Kondi.

Could you tell us what the different between Junk Coins and Fantasy Coins?

Thanks

Offline KONDi

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
You are welcome Lecoins.

In my humble opinion junk coins are those which have similar or the same design as genuine pieces.

However fantasy coins are those which don't have genuine equivalent. This 5 yuan 1929 Sun Yat-sen and 5 yuan 1920 are such of example of fantasy coins.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Lecoins

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Thanks Kondi, I just wondering why the people with that skill set and made 5 yuan dollars that didn't even exist, would that be wastefull? or sell them for 2 or 3 dollars, the material and labor must have cost them more to produce those coins.

Please give us a general market in China from the cost of making those coins to selling them.

Thanks Kondi.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
You are welcome Lecoins. Well, I think cost of production of those fantasy dollars isn't so high. So even they will sell for 2-3 bucks they can still earn something. Sometimes a lack of knowledge about old chinese coins can be result of buying such of coins for even more than $3. When I started collecting old Chinese coins I bought one or two "old chinese dollars". When I realized that I was cheated it was too late. However that didn't kill my will of collecting those beautiful coins. So my advice for you is to learn first. The more knowledgeable person you will be then the more confident you will be when you will decide to buy the coin or not.

I wouldn't want to advertise places where they are producing those fake coins, but in Shanghai I would avoid Dongtai Road Antique Market.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Lecoins

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
Thanks Kondi for helping us out, the new collectors.
I wish there are some class to take and learn from the experts.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »

I wouldn't want to advertise places where they are producing those fake coins, but in Shanghai I would avoid Dongtai Road Antique Market.

To add to that, in China, when it is called "Antique Market", you can be assured it is a "Fake Goods Market". If you want to buy something, make sure to pay as if it is a fake. With few exceptions, most REAL Chinese antiques are either in museums in China, in hands of private collectors outside of China, or in Taiwan museums. During Mao's Cultural Revolution (I call it The Cultural destruction), if you owned an antique, you had better surrender it for destruction or you would be denounced and/or killed! What a big shame that so many very old irreplaceable relics were destroyed due to Mao's stupidity and insanity. Now, China wants those relics back! My oh my, they sure change their tune to suite their motives! Kind of like them permitting (and promoting) public protests to promote their own agenda; i.e., last years protests and vandalism against Japanese businesses in China, and the recent protest at the Malaysian Embassy. Hmmm -- free-speech ain't so bad Mr. Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China, is it? Oh, I forgot -- only when it promotes your own "controlling" agenda!