Author Topic: Sino Scandinavian Bank  (Read 14483 times)

Offline chinnotes

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sino Scandinavian Bank
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 02:52:42 AM »
I, too, have this book, as I try to get all that has ever been published on Chinese notes.
For me this book is rather worthless. 1.  The quality of the pictures is very bad. You often cannot even read the serial numbers. 2. Nearly all (possibly all) notes were taken from other books. Also the text (e.g. about Sino-Scandinavian Bank p.729) can often be literally found somewhere else. But the original books/authors  are not mentioned.
There exist quite a few such books in China.
There even exists a series of 12 catalogs of Chinese paper money, with high quality photos, but all photos were taken from other sources. The serial numbers were all changed a little bit, by photoshop. For research on Chinese notes such books are worthless.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »
4th series: Mei notes, denomination 10 Mei and multiples thereof

Dated MG 15 = 1926. All notes show place name 秦皇岛 = Qínhuángdǎo, a port city in Hebei Province. At the time when the notes were issued the name of the Province was Zhili ("Chihli"). The building on front is the "Zhichuang Hall" which I believe no longer exists. This building was misinterpreted in the SCWPM at "Woocha tea house"

10 Mei. No control marks known. Serials without prefix.

To be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
20 Mei

This (apparently somewhat faded) piece was recently offered by coinsky (a Chinese selling platform). Serials as usual in this series w/o prefix, no control marks...

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
30 and 50 Mei. The 30 Mei note is scarce, but can be easily found, the 50 Mei note is very scarce.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
5th series: Mei notes, denomination 16 Meo or multiples thereof
There was a series with strangte dnominations: 16, 32, 48, 80 Mei. Why such strange denominations? Well, the proportion of 1 Mei to 1 Yuan was 1:320, so 16 Meri were exactly 5 Fen, 32 mei equaled 1 Jiao, etc. At the same time 16 Mei were called 1 Diao (吊), so 32 Mei = 2 Diao, 48 Mei = 3 Diao.
Dates on the notes are the same as in previous series, but it is not known whether these notes circulated at the same time or not.
As in the previous series all notes bear the place name 秦皇岛 (Qinhuangdao) in Chinese.
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
Here a 32 Mei note, a rather scarce note from my collection
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Here I can show a 48 Mei note, design as the othe notes of this series, except for colors...
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
Now we come to the last note, 80 Mei. This note was apparently never issued, only unfinished notes without serials, seals, place-name are known.
My remarks to the Sino-Scandinavian Bank end here. Comments, questions are of course welcome.
Erwin

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
Erwin, you have notes i never knew existed.   Great research and facts.    Can you provide a value for them?......just curious.....

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 03:27:23 AM »
I have been collecting Chinese notes for more than 50 years. When I began most notes were 1 US $ each. At that time when I has in Hongkong people came to my hotel room and offered me bundles of notes. Many were interested in coins, nearly nobody was interested in notes.

Now the prices are unbelievably high. But you cannot trust catalog prices. For instance, in the SCWPM of Krause there are Chinese notes I would not even pay 1/10 of their prices, while there are some notes I would pay tenfold prices if only I could get the notes...

But to tell the truth whenever I have bought a note my interest in the price of this note is gone, I don't care any more, because I do not regard my collecting notes as an investment. I am interested in the history of the notes, not in their prices. And this is the reason why I am not much interested in the condition of a note. Sometimes I have a note in unc., and then I can get the same note in vf. In this case I buy the note in vf and sell the note in unc. because for that price I can get quite a few notes in vf or less... Many years ago the few Chinese collectors of notes never were interested in the condition of a note. A note in vf would cost nearly the same as a note in unc.  But then European catalogs came to China, and the collectors learnt that unc. notes can be sold at high prices.

As for the notes of the Sino-Scandinavian Bank I have it is not easy to tell a price. For two of them I was offered about 1000 US $ each, others are easy to get and maybe around 50 US $ each in China (but maybe 100-200 $ in USA or Europe). . If I would sell the notes I would sell the expensive notes through Chinese auctions, the cheaper notes through US auction firms.

So it is very difficult for me to tell you a price.

Erwin

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »
Thanks Chinnotes for the treasure trove of information you have left here for public use. I don't collect banknotes but you have in a sense simplified this for any aspiring collector. Definitely of help if I get around to doing so in future.

There are also additional pearls that I have picked up including the images on the notes. Your mention on another thread of the Suleiman's Minaret (Pagoda) http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=9376.msg75857#msg75857 sent me to Google where I found interesting historical information: http://www.chinahighlights.com/turpan/attraction/emin-minaret.htm

Great job here and please stay engaged.

Best wishes.

KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Thank you for your words.
I could write about other Chinese banks and their notes, but the problem is, in this forum there seem to be only a few, if any, serious collectors of notes. I have been looking around in several forums on Chinese numismatics, but unfortunately there are no forums with a considerable interest in Chinese banknotes. Only coins... so writing in such forums usually means you write monologues...

But o.k., I think very soon I will write about another bank here, and hope there will be some reactions.

Erwin