Author Topic: Sino Scandinavian Bank  (Read 9743 times)

Offline chinnotes

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sino Scandinavian Bank
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 04:55:02 AM »
Now let as regard the notes with 昌黎 (Changli / YUNGCHI CURRENCY).
Originally these notes had place name 北京 (Beijing / PEKING). But this name was obliterated and replaced by 綏遠 (Suiyuan). But notes with Suiyuan overprint were never issued, as far as we can see. At least no such banknote has come to light in any collection.
Then綏遠 was deleted and the new issuing place昌黎 was added.
At the same time another overprint appeared on the notes: 永七通用 /YUNGCHI CURRENCY.
But what is 永七 (yongqi)? I could not find this place on any modern map. So it must be a now obsolete place name. Finally I found that永七(七 means „7“) was a term used for 7 counties, namely 灤縣, 昌黎, 臨榆, 樂亭,遷安,撫寧,盧龍 (Luan County, Changli, Linyu, Leting, Qian’an, Funing, Lulong).
All notes show the signature of Song Faxiang, so the notes must be issued 1924 or later. Prefixes are A (1 Yuan notes), B (5 Yuan), C (10 Yuan). No control marks were seen.
To be continued.  Please feel free to give any comments.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »
Now to the last variety of the „monochrome“ series: 天津 (Tianjin / TIENTSIN) over 北京 (Beijing / PEKING).
That means, the original place name PEKING was obliterated and replaced by TIENTSIN.
This type is rather scarce, and only 10 yuan notes are known.
Serial prefix C. Seen w/o control mark and with control character 振 (zhen).
The note pictured here is from the gallery of worldbanknotes.com, where I am a member.

to be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
The 2nd series shows the same motifs as the 1st one, but with added multicolored guilloches. There were many counterfeits of the 1st series, the colored guilloches are a kind of security devices. Of course all notes bear the signatures type b. That means they were issued 1924 or later.
The 1 Yuan note has serial prefixes D and E, higher serials with “E” show control number “10”.

To be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 04:00:56 AM »
1 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ).
Only very few notes seen. I noted serial prefixes E and I.  I saw control marks 中(zhong) at left only (E0217852) and a “M” -rotated by 90 degrees to the right (I0211207).
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
1 Yuan Tianjin (天津 / TIENTSIN)
The following serial prefixes are known to me: A, B, C, E. Series A seems always w/o control mark. The other series either without or with control mark: 天 (tian) in black, 平 (ping), 同(tong) rubber stamped, 保 (bao) rubber stamped, and 工 (gong)

to be continued

Erwin

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »
Erwin,

Thanks for sharing the valuable information.

Can you recommend reference book for Imperial and Republic banknotes? I have very limited knowledge of banknotes and my only reference book is Krause's Catalog of World Paper Money.

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
While there exist many excellent Chinese books on Chinese paper money , I know of no such book in English. The SCWPM (Krause) gives a good oversight, but there are very many errors.
Still the best English spoken book on Chinese notes in general is “Chinese  Banknotes”, by Ward D. Smith an B. Matravers. But this book was printed in 1970, and since then our knowledge about Chinese notes has become much better. The book is out of print, but occasionally you can buy it on ebay or other platforms.

Now back to the Sino-Scandinavian Bank:

5 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ).
Serial prefixes known to me: D, E, G, and K. Only some notes with prefix D and G showed a control mark, namely 中 (zhong)

to be continued

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
5 Yuan Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ) – fig.12
Serial prefixes seen: C, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, Q, R.
Many different control marks: 中(zhong) rubber stamped,  平 (ping)  天 (tian),  地 (di),  元 (yuan), 黄 (huang),  宙 (zhou), 盈 (ying),  昃 (ze) 辰 (chen), 列 (lie), 張 (zhang), 寒 (han), 署 (shu), and 往 (wang). Some notes w/o control characters (e.g. prefix Q, R).

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »
10 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ) – fig.13

The following serial prefixes were so far found: C, D, G. All notes seem to bear one of the following control characters: 工 (gong), 工工 (gong gong),and 中(zhong)

to be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
3rd series: Jiao notes
These notes are dated “Oct.1st 1925”.
1 Jiao – fig.15
Serials w/o prefix, with single letter prefix (A through Z), double letter prefix (AA through AM). Usually w/o control character, but all notes of series “L” with 天 (tian).

to be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »
The 2 Jiao = 20 Cent note shows the same motifs as the 1 Jiao note, but front is orange red, not green.

Serials with single letter prefix (seen L, O through W). ). Usually w/o control character, but series “L” always with black control character 天 (tian), as is the case with the 1 Jiao note.  天 certainly refers to 天津 = Tianjin, but as all notes bear the place name 天津 /TIENTSIN the reason for the control character overprint is unknown.

The bank was also allowed to print a 5 Jiao note, but this was never realized.

To be continued

Erwin

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
10 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ) – fig.13

The following serial prefixes were so far found: C, D, G. All notes seem to bear one of the following control characters: 工 (gong), 工工 (gong gong),and 中(zhong)

to be continued

Erwin

Sorry for the digression but the image on this note looks like the northern part of the Summer Palace, specifically Longevity Hill with the Tower of Buddhist Incense. Am I right? If not no problem!

But this brings up the question of scenes and landmarks portrayed on these notes. Can you identify some of them for us?

Thanks for the priceless information you are archiving on this forum.

+1 again!  :thumbup1:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »
Yes, you are right. And yes, I can identify all buildings on the notes of the Sino-Scandinavian Bank.  Aside from the motif identified by you we find:

1) Jade Belt Bridge (on the grounds of the Summer Palace) - on front of 1 Yuan notes
2) Baida or White Pagoda, Beihai Garden, Beijing - on front of 5 Yuan and all Jiao notes
3) Zhichuntang, also part of or near Summer Palace in Beijing. This building seems no longer to exist. Instead there is a Zhichun Pavilion. Whether at the same place or not I am not sure.  In the SCWPM and consequentlly in several western auction catalogs this building is wrongly interpreted as "Woocha tea house". - On front of all Mei notes.

On the back of many notes we find the Great Wall.

Erwin

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
While there exist many excellent Chinese books on Chinese paper money , I know of no such book in English. The SCWPM (Krause) gives a good oversight, but there are very many errors.
Still the best English spoken book on Chinese notes in general is “Chinese  Banknotes”, by Ward D. Smith an B. Matravers. But this book was printed in 1970, and since then our knowledge about Chinese notes has become much better. The book is out of print, but occasionally you can buy it on ebay or other platforms.

Thanks for the information.

I do have a Chinese book in Chinese banknotes issued in 1996 which does not have good pictures of the notes. Attached are pictures of this book and the Sino Scandinavian section of the book.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
Here is the picture of landmark portrayed in 10 Yuan note.