Author Topic: Sino Scandinavian Bank  (Read 14890 times)

Offline AllSong

• Trade Count: (+1)
Sino Scandinavian Bank
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »
I felt like starting this thread, as the Yuan notes from this bank are my favourite. I feel like it´s unites my two worlds  N40

Planned to write a little about the banks' background and main caracters (a Norwegian man played quite a role, Johan Wilhelm Normann Munthe ) but it'll have to wait---
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline mowi

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sino Scandinavian Bank
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »
Awesome note, never seen that one before! I look forward to some background info. Is it this gentleman?

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Wilhelm_Normann_Munthe

Offline AllSong

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:01:23 AM »
Yes, that's the guy. What a MOUSTACHE  N16  They don´t mention the bank at all, but all the other things are also quite a story.

The notes are the obvious choice being a collector of Chinese coins & notes and being Scandinavian at the same time   :001_smile:
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Not to be lazy (might be actually), but here are some good links about SSB:

http://www.thecurrencycollector.com/pdfs/Foreign_Banks_in_China_Part-III.pdf  frompage 22

http://www.janeriks.no/Banknotes/sino-scand.htm

My third Yuan note is not in the same condition at all, but different from the other 1 Yuan above (guilloches & overprints).
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
Found a recent article by a curator of the British Museum, Helen Wang, who was kind of puzzled by this note/bank  :biggrin:
Some really usefull info about the note itself, but not impressed about the part on our moustached friend from Norway.

http://blog.britishmuseum.org/2014/06/09/a-viking-ship-on-a-chinese-note/
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »
Just received my newest item and it´s the highest graded I have  :thumbup: I am quite pleased with having added it to my collection  N66

"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline mowi

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »
Congrats, super nice Viking note!!  N30   N31  N30

Offline AllSong

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:16:17 AM »
Cheers Mowi  N47
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline AllSong

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 05:23:26 AM »
So far I' ve found three different red overprints onthe top right corner of the obverse side of the 5 Yuan note. Pretty sure there is a fourth red overprint on a 1 Yuan note previously posted in this thread
"Boards don´t hit back!"

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »
The Sino-Scandinavian Bank was a joint venture of Chinese, Norwegian and Danish merchants. It was founded in Nov., 1921. In Dec. of the same year the bank registered with the Beiyang Government. In Jan. ,1922, the bank opened its doors to the public.
The main office of the bank was in Beijing, it opened branches in Changli, Qinhuangdao, Tianjin, Zhangjiakou (=Kalgan) and Shanghai. There were two small agencies in Chongqing and Hankou.
The intended initial capital was 10.000.000 Yuan, but the actual capital which the bank could gather from Chinese, Norwegian and Danish sources was only 2.500.000 Yuan, half of this sum coming from the Chinese.
The director of the bank was a Chinese, its vice-director was a Norwegian. The first Chinese director was Jiang Tianfeng (江天鋒), later he was replaced by Liu Huan (瀏煥). The Norwegian vice-director was Johan Wilhelm Norman Munthe.His signature can be found on all notes issued by the bank. In 1864 he was born in Bergen, Norway. In 1887 he went to China. He participated in the Chinese-Japanese war in 1894/95 as a volunteer. In 1910/11 he was director of Customs in Tianjin. In 1913 he became a lieutenant-general. He remained in China until his death in 1935. His Chinese name was曼德  = Man De (derived from the English pronunciation of his name).
Another signature found on many notes looks like “Farntsan T.Sung”. His Chinese name was 宋發祥 = Song Faxiang. He was one of the founders of the bank, and in 1924 he became managing director in the Beijing office.
A 3rd signature found on certain notes (only on some notes of the first “monochromne” issue) is so far unidentified.
The bank lasted only for 7 years. In 1928, the “Chinese-Japanese Joint Venture Bank” closed its doors, which caused financial turmoil in Beijing and Tianjin, and a run to the Sino-Scandinavian Bank. This latter bank had not enough cash to redeem all notes presented to them, it had to give up business shortly thereafter.
This is an excerpt of an article  (22 pages) „The Sino-Scandinavian Bank – History and Banknotes (華威銀行及其發行的紙幣 ) written by me in 2004. I can write more about this bank if members of this forum are interested…
Erwin

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
Please keep the information coming.

Knowledge is priceless.

+1.  N31
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 03:53:00 AM »
O.k.   As I am rather busy I can write every day only a little bit... Unfortunately English is not my mother tongue, so please forgive me if sometimes my English is not correct.
Here I give an oversight on all banknotes issued by this bank:
From the beginning this bank had the right to issue paper money. Bank notes were issued with the names of all branches, except Shanghai.

There were five note series issues. All notes were printed by the Bureau of Printing and Engraving ( 財政部  = Caizhengbu or Finance Ministry) in Beijing.

1) A silver Yuan issue with monochrome front: 1, 5. 5 Yuan. Dated MG 11 / Feb. 1st, 1922.
2) A series of Yuan notes, with the same date and similar design, but with additional polychrome guilloches on front: 1, 5, 10 Yuan.
3) A series of Jiao or cent notes, dated MG 14 = Oct. 1st, 1925. This was small change money (輔幣). 1 and 2 Jiao only.
4) A series of Mei (=copper) notes, denominations could be divided by 1=: 10 Mei, 30 Mei, 50 Mei. Dated MG 15 = 1926.
5) A series of Mei notes, same dates, but denominations could be divided by 16: 16 Mei, 32 Mei, 48 Mei, 80 Mei.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »
The bank issued a huge amount of banknotes:
Jan.1, 1022, the Beiyang government granted permission to issue banknotes for 1.000.000 silver yuan.
In 1922 the bank asked for permission to issue small denomination notes of 1, 2, and 5 Jiao notes (=10, 20, and 50 Cents), for another 2.000.000 Yuan.
The bank also asked for and was grated permission to issue silver yuan notes for another 250.000 yuan.
July 1, 1924, the bank asked again for and obtained permission to issue notes: 250.000 yuan in silver yuan notes and 200.000 yuan small notes (uibi money).
It is reported that the Beijing branch alone at the end of 1924 had issued 380.000 yuan silver yuan notes and 200.000 yuan small change notes.
For Nov.1926 it is reported, that 279.000 yuan with place name "Beijing" and 211.500 yuan with place name Tianjin were in circulation, plus an additional amount of more than 340.000 yuan (Beijing) and 161.604 yuan (Tianjin) of small change notes.
To be continued.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 04:26:21 AM »
Now let us regard notes of the 1st series: 1, 5, and 10 yuan notes, front monochrome.
The following place names can be found on notes of this series: (in brackets: as on the note)
Beijing (北京 / PEKING)
Tianjin (天津 / TIENTSIN)
Zhangjiakou over Beijing (張家口 / KALGAN)
Changli over Beijing over Suiyuan (昌黎 / “YUNGQI CURRENCY“)

Notes with Beijing were issued first, they show two different signatures at right, the earlier one cannot be read (something like “Sansenfin”), the other one is the signature of Song Faxiang (宋發祥) and looks like „Fartsand T.Sung“

Three denominations were issued: 1 Yuan, 5 Yuan, 10 Yuan.
1 Yuan: serial prefix A, highest serial known with early signature: A0048219, lowest serial known with sign. Song Faxiang: A0056008.
No overprint marks are known.
5 Yuan: serial prefix B, highest serial with unknown signature B0045024, lowest serial seen with signature Song Faxiang: B0059026.
The following control marks were seen: 7, 10, IΔ+ 增 (zeng) l at left and ., 津(jin) at right.
10 Yuan: serial prefix C. Highest serial no. known with early signature: C0019374. Lowest serial with Sung’s signature: C0016494. This means there is some overlapping…
Control marks known so far:
5 (or S?), 7, 8, 10, 20, P at right only,  1Δ
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »
Here I picture a 1 Yuan note of this 1st (monochrome) series, place name originally Beijing (北京 / PEKING), but changed to Zhangjiakou  ( 张家口 / KALGAN).
This is indeed a mystery note, as otherwise nowhere  in Chinese literature is reported that the SINO-SCANDINAVIAN BANK had a branch in Zhangjiakou. But as the note proofs, this branch must have existed.
Zhangjiakou is the Chinese name, Kalgan was used by Europeans and Russians. Kalgan is a Mongolian word and means “door”, as a mountain pass near Zhangjiakou was regarded as “door” on the way from Beijing to Ulan Bator. After the Trans-Siberian Railway was constructed, Zhangjiakou/Kalgan lost its importance.
So far only 1 denomination, namely 1 Yuan became known. In more than 50 years collecting time I saw only 4 pieces of them. Serials have prefix A, no control marks were seen.  The right signature is that of Song Faxiang, so the note must have been issued 1924 or later.

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 04:55:02 AM »
Now let as regard the notes with 昌黎 (Changli / YUNGCHI CURRENCY).
Originally these notes had place name 北京 (Beijing / PEKING). But this name was obliterated and replaced by 綏遠 (Suiyuan). But notes with Suiyuan overprint were never issued, as far as we can see. At least no such banknote has come to light in any collection.
Then綏遠 was deleted and the new issuing place昌黎 was added.
At the same time another overprint appeared on the notes: 永七通用 /YUNGCHI CURRENCY.
But what is 永七 (yongqi)? I could not find this place on any modern map. So it must be a now obsolete place name. Finally I found that永七(七 means „7“) was a term used for 7 counties, namely 灤縣, 昌黎, 臨榆, 樂亭,遷安,撫寧,盧龍 (Luan County, Changli, Linyu, Leting, Qian’an, Funing, Lulong).
All notes show the signature of Song Faxiang, so the notes must be issued 1924 or later. Prefixes are A (1 Yuan notes), B (5 Yuan), C (10 Yuan). No control marks were seen.
To be continued.  Please feel free to give any comments.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »
Now to the last variety of the „monochrome“ series: 天津 (Tianjin / TIENTSIN) over 北京 (Beijing / PEKING).
That means, the original place name PEKING was obliterated and replaced by TIENTSIN.
This type is rather scarce, and only 10 yuan notes are known.
Serial prefix C. Seen w/o control mark and with control character 振 (zhen).
The note pictured here is from the gallery of worldbanknotes.com, where I am a member.

to be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
The 2nd series shows the same motifs as the 1st one, but with added multicolored guilloches. There were many counterfeits of the 1st series, the colored guilloches are a kind of security devices. Of course all notes bear the signatures type b. That means they were issued 1924 or later.
The 1 Yuan note has serial prefixes D and E, higher serials with “E” show control number “10”.

To be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 04:00:56 AM »
1 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ).
Only very few notes seen. I noted serial prefixes E and I.  I saw control marks 中(zhong) at left only (E0217852) and a “M” -rotated by 90 degrees to the right (I0211207).
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
1 Yuan Tianjin (天津 / TIENTSIN)
The following serial prefixes are known to me: A, B, C, E. Series A seems always w/o control mark. The other series either without or with control mark: 天 (tian) in black, 平 (ping), 同(tong) rubber stamped, 保 (bao) rubber stamped, and 工 (gong)

to be continued

Erwin

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »
Erwin,

Thanks for sharing the valuable information.

Can you recommend reference book for Imperial and Republic banknotes? I have very limited knowledge of banknotes and my only reference book is Krause's Catalog of World Paper Money.

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
While there exist many excellent Chinese books on Chinese paper money , I know of no such book in English. The SCWPM (Krause) gives a good oversight, but there are very many errors.
Still the best English spoken book on Chinese notes in general is “Chinese  Banknotes”, by Ward D. Smith an B. Matravers. But this book was printed in 1970, and since then our knowledge about Chinese notes has become much better. The book is out of print, but occasionally you can buy it on ebay or other platforms.

Now back to the Sino-Scandinavian Bank:

5 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ).
Serial prefixes known to me: D, E, G, and K. Only some notes with prefix D and G showed a control mark, namely 中 (zhong)

to be continued

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
5 Yuan Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ) – fig.12
Serial prefixes seen: C, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, Q, R.
Many different control marks: 中(zhong) rubber stamped,  平 (ping)  天 (tian),  地 (di),  元 (yuan), 黄 (huang),  宙 (zhou), 盈 (ying),  昃 (ze) 辰 (chen), 列 (lie), 張 (zhang), 寒 (han), 署 (shu), and 往 (wang). Some notes w/o control characters (e.g. prefix Q, R).

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »
10 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ) – fig.13

The following serial prefixes were so far found: C, D, G. All notes seem to bear one of the following control characters: 工 (gong), 工工 (gong gong),and 中(zhong)

to be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
3rd series: Jiao notes
These notes are dated “Oct.1st 1925”.
1 Jiao – fig.15
Serials w/o prefix, with single letter prefix (A through Z), double letter prefix (AA through AM). Usually w/o control character, but all notes of series “L” with 天 (tian).

to be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »
The 2 Jiao = 20 Cent note shows the same motifs as the 1 Jiao note, but front is orange red, not green.

Serials with single letter prefix (seen L, O through W). ). Usually w/o control character, but series “L” always with black control character 天 (tian), as is the case with the 1 Jiao note.  天 certainly refers to 天津 = Tianjin, but as all notes bear the place name 天津 /TIENTSIN the reason for the control character overprint is unknown.

The bank was also allowed to print a 5 Jiao note, but this was never realized.

To be continued

Erwin

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
10 Yuan Beijing (北京 / PEKING) over Tianjin ( 天津 / TIENTSIN ) – fig.13

The following serial prefixes were so far found: C, D, G. All notes seem to bear one of the following control characters: 工 (gong), 工工 (gong gong),and 中(zhong)

to be continued

Erwin

Sorry for the digression but the image on this note looks like the northern part of the Summer Palace, specifically Longevity Hill with the Tower of Buddhist Incense. Am I right? If not no problem!

But this brings up the question of scenes and landmarks portrayed on these notes. Can you identify some of them for us?

Thanks for the priceless information you are archiving on this forum.

+1 again!  :thumbup1:

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »
Yes, you are right. And yes, I can identify all buildings on the notes of the Sino-Scandinavian Bank.  Aside from the motif identified by you we find:

1) Jade Belt Bridge (on the grounds of the Summer Palace) - on front of 1 Yuan notes
2) Baida or White Pagoda, Beihai Garden, Beijing - on front of 5 Yuan and all Jiao notes
3) Zhichuntang, also part of or near Summer Palace in Beijing. This building seems no longer to exist. Instead there is a Zhichun Pavilion. Whether at the same place or not I am not sure.  In the SCWPM and consequentlly in several western auction catalogs this building is wrongly interpreted as "Woocha tea house". - On front of all Mei notes.

On the back of many notes we find the Great Wall.

Erwin

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
While there exist many excellent Chinese books on Chinese paper money , I know of no such book in English. The SCWPM (Krause) gives a good oversight, but there are very many errors.
Still the best English spoken book on Chinese notes in general is “Chinese  Banknotes”, by Ward D. Smith an B. Matravers. But this book was printed in 1970, and since then our knowledge about Chinese notes has become much better. The book is out of print, but occasionally you can buy it on ebay or other platforms.

Thanks for the information.

I do have a Chinese book in Chinese banknotes issued in 1996 which does not have good pictures of the notes. Attached are pictures of this book and the Sino Scandinavian section of the book.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
Here is the picture of landmark portrayed in 10 Yuan note.

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 02:52:42 AM »
I, too, have this book, as I try to get all that has ever been published on Chinese notes.
For me this book is rather worthless. 1.  The quality of the pictures is very bad. You often cannot even read the serial numbers. 2. Nearly all (possibly all) notes were taken from other books. Also the text (e.g. about Sino-Scandinavian Bank p.729) can often be literally found somewhere else. But the original books/authors  are not mentioned.
There exist quite a few such books in China.
There even exists a series of 12 catalogs of Chinese paper money, with high quality photos, but all photos were taken from other sources. The serial numbers were all changed a little bit, by photoshop. For research on Chinese notes such books are worthless.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »
4th series: Mei notes, denomination 10 Mei and multiples thereof

Dated MG 15 = 1926. All notes show place name 秦皇岛 = Qínhuángdǎo, a port city in Hebei Province. At the time when the notes were issued the name of the Province was Zhili ("Chihli"). The building on front is the "Zhichuang Hall" which I believe no longer exists. This building was misinterpreted in the SCWPM at "Woocha tea house"

10 Mei. No control marks known. Serials without prefix.

To be continued

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
20 Mei

This (apparently somewhat faded) piece was recently offered by coinsky (a Chinese selling platform). Serials as usual in this series w/o prefix, no control marks...

Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
30 and 50 Mei. The 30 Mei note is scarce, but can be easily found, the 50 Mei note is very scarce.
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
5th series: Mei notes, denomination 16 Meo or multiples thereof
There was a series with strangte dnominations: 16, 32, 48, 80 Mei. Why such strange denominations? Well, the proportion of 1 Mei to 1 Yuan was 1:320, so 16 Meri were exactly 5 Fen, 32 mei equaled 1 Jiao, etc. At the same time 16 Mei were called 1 Diao (吊), so 32 Mei = 2 Diao, 48 Mei = 3 Diao.
Dates on the notes are the same as in previous series, but it is not known whether these notes circulated at the same time or not.
As in the previous series all notes bear the place name 秦皇岛 (Qinhuangdao) in Chinese.
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
Here a 32 Mei note, a rather scarce note from my collection
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Here I can show a 48 Mei note, design as the othe notes of this series, except for colors...
To be continued
Erwin

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
Now we come to the last note, 80 Mei. This note was apparently never issued, only unfinished notes without serials, seals, place-name are known.
My remarks to the Sino-Scandinavian Bank end here. Comments, questions are of course welcome.
Erwin

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
Erwin, you have notes i never knew existed.   Great research and facts.    Can you provide a value for them?......just curious.....

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 03:27:23 AM »
I have been collecting Chinese notes for more than 50 years. When I began most notes were 1 US $ each. At that time when I has in Hongkong people came to my hotel room and offered me bundles of notes. Many were interested in coins, nearly nobody was interested in notes.

Now the prices are unbelievably high. But you cannot trust catalog prices. For instance, in the SCWPM of Krause there are Chinese notes I would not even pay 1/10 of their prices, while there are some notes I would pay tenfold prices if only I could get the notes...

But to tell the truth whenever I have bought a note my interest in the price of this note is gone, I don't care any more, because I do not regard my collecting notes as an investment. I am interested in the history of the notes, not in their prices. And this is the reason why I am not much interested in the condition of a note. Sometimes I have a note in unc., and then I can get the same note in vf. In this case I buy the note in vf and sell the note in unc. because for that price I can get quite a few notes in vf or less... Many years ago the few Chinese collectors of notes never were interested in the condition of a note. A note in vf would cost nearly the same as a note in unc.  But then European catalogs came to China, and the collectors learnt that unc. notes can be sold at high prices.

As for the notes of the Sino-Scandinavian Bank I have it is not easy to tell a price. For two of them I was offered about 1000 US $ each, others are easy to get and maybe around 50 US $ each in China (but maybe 100-200 $ in USA or Europe). . If I would sell the notes I would sell the expensive notes through Chinese auctions, the cheaper notes through US auction firms.

So it is very difficult for me to tell you a price.

Erwin

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »
Thanks Chinnotes for the treasure trove of information you have left here for public use. I don't collect banknotes but you have in a sense simplified this for any aspiring collector. Definitely of help if I get around to doing so in future.

There are also additional pearls that I have picked up including the images on the notes. Your mention on another thread of the Suleiman's Minaret (Pagoda) http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=9376.msg75857#msg75857 sent me to Google where I found interesting historical information: http://www.chinahighlights.com/turpan/attraction/emin-minaret.htm

Great job here and please stay engaged.

Best wishes.

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Thank you for your words.
I could write about other Chinese banks and their notes, but the problem is, in this forum there seem to be only a few, if any, serious collectors of notes. I have been looking around in several forums on Chinese numismatics, but unfortunately there are no forums with a considerable interest in Chinese banknotes. Only coins... so writing in such forums usually means you write monologues...

But o.k., I think very soon I will write about another bank here, and hope there will be some reactions.

Erwin