Author Topic: What's on your shelf?  (Read 32746 times)

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
What's on your shelf?
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »
What is on your bookshelf?  Let me start with some of my favorite.

Offline PandaOrLunar

Re: What's on your shelf?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
Excellent topic.  Educating oneself by consulting diverse sources is important.  Doing your own research, thinking for yourself, and drawing your own conclusions is good practice.

As people post additional reference books, it would be great to also post where someone might be able to purchase such books online.  I will probably want to order a few of the ones that get listed.  Peter Anthony's Gold and Silver Panda Buyers Guide has been quite useful, and I will order the 2nd edition, but I'd like to expand my library and get different perspectives and reference images.  Thanks.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »
Excellent topic.  Educating oneself by consulting diverse sources is important.  Doing your own research, thinking for yourself, and drawing your own conclusions is good practice.

As people post additional reference books, it would be great to also post where someone might be able to purchase such books online.  I will probably want to order a few of the ones that get listed.  Peter Anthony's Gold and Silver Panda Buyers Guide has been quite useful, and I will order the 2nd edition, but I'd like to expand my library and get different perspectives and reference images.  Thanks.

As a follow-up... last week I ordered the following two books that I found on http://www.pandaamerica.com/

Book - China 1988-1990 Modern Chinese Commemorative Gold and Silver Coins and Medals 
Book of China Pandas and Other Chinese Modern Issue Gold and Silver Coins (2012 Edition)

I don't know much about them yet, but the delivery is waiting for me to pick up at the post office.  I look forward to perusing them, although I won't be able to read the Chinese.  Can someone else speak to the pros and cons of any of the books listed so far, so that other members might have more information in case they want to order one.  Again, also, please list other vendors that sell such books.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
I bought the same "Book - China 1988-1990 Modern Chinese Commemorative Gold and Silver Coins and Medals" from PandaAmerica last year.

Most of my books are from eBay.  Few were from bookstores around Guangzhou a while back during a visit.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:18 PM »
That's the one I'd like to have on my shelf...once it's translated ...maybe by fwang2450?

Re: Huang Ruiyong's "Three Little Dragons" and "Five Golden Flowers"
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:53:41 AM » by fwang2450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: dobedo on Today at 05:00:53 AM

Is this the same author "Huang Rui Yong" of Sheng Shi Feng Ya Song? I found this book on http://www.studychineseculture.com/book.asp?id=5144 by him (that's one of the very few sites I found which can ship directly from China to US with PayPal). Has anyone read it? Is it any good? Does it have lots of pictures like these 3 dragons and 5 flowers mentioned here?

Yes. That is the same author. Huang is as famous as Ge in China, but writes more about MCC and is known as the "high priest" of MCC because of his relentless effort to spread the MCC culture in China. Sheng Shi Feng Ya Song (Ode to Grace in a Prosperous Time) is a must read for MCC collectors, as it spells out approaches for beginners, intermediate collectors and top collectors. It has tons of information with pictures, such as discussion on patterns. The problem is that it is in Chinese only.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
Two more books for today.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
Eight books posted and no one have any books to share?

Here are Mr. Anthony and Mr. Ge's books.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »
Books 1:

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Books 2

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
2 more today.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
100th Anniversary of Shenyang Mint - This was the best book on the market back in 2008, because it was the only source that showed lower mintages for gold panda proof sets, BU silver pandas, unicorns, bimetals, cultural pieces, etc.  If it wasn't for this book my collection value today would have been only 15-25% of what it is.  This book focused my investment dollars only on coins that had much lower mintages than what was published in more common sources like COAs and the red book.  Today the same strategy can be used to achieve outperformance, find errors in published mintages in newer books and go long accordingly.  Arif

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
100th Anniversary of Shenyang Mint - This was the best book on the market back in 2008, because it was the only source that showed lower mintages for gold panda proof sets, BU silver pandas, unicorns, bimetals, cultural pieces, etc.  If it wasn't for this book my collection value today would have been only 15-25% of what it is.  This book focused my investment dollars only on coins that had much lower mintages than what was published in more common sources like COAs and the red book.  Today the same strategy can be used to achieve outperformance, find errors in published mintages in newer books and go long accordingly.  Arif

Words of wisdom.  Thanks, Arif.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
What constitutes an error in published mintages???  Do we believe the red book, COAs, 100th Anniversary of Shenyang Mint book, purple book, or whatever other color book??? Anybody can write a book claiming such and such mintages. There is no way to verify. Following these books is a crap-shoot at best. You may get lucky, or you may get burned. One thing for sure about China; NEVER believe anything that is published is 100% true. The purpose of the media here in China is to manipulate the masses. Bottom line=like what you collect, and collect what you like! It has been said many times before. Happy collecting!

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
"Bottom line=like what you collect, and collect what you like!"

100% agreed