Author Topic: Varieties of silver Historical Figures, 1984 to 1993  (Read 97704 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Varieties of silver Historical Figures, 1984 to 1993
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
I kind of like them after also, but I don't know why :) Maybe it's because they're more minor varieties than the panda examples?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »
It think we should use after becuase there will probably be 3-4 varities of some of the coins!! and some coins will have none.... putting them before does not seem logic if you think in systematic way where you increase specificiy from the beggining of the name to the end

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
a 1991 Hong Xu Quaan RAW was sold for 87,50USD after 18 bids, ended 2. dec. , seller: mz67

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
It think we should use after becuase there will probably be 3-4 varities of some of the coins!! and some coins will have none.... putting them before does not seem logic if you think in systematic way where you increase specificiy from the beggining of the name to the end
Agree, I think the name should start with the most general description, becoming increasingly specific as it goes on.  This way when a new variety is added, we only need to append the additional description to the end.

Offline badon

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
OK, then that's what we will do, at least for the historical figures, since the experts have spoken :) As for the pandas, I think the convention is to put the variety before the word "panda", so we may need to do it differently. Of course, we can make it like the historical figures convention if we decide that's clearly the best way to do it, and it won't confuse people.

As long as it makes good sense, it's OK if we use slightly different standards for each series. Each series is different! It will get more interesting when the CC starts doing American coins, European coins, ancient coins, etc, etc, etc. There's a lot of coins out there to study using the CC's awesome tools.

Offline badon

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »
I just added some nifty features to the main page that shows everything new that's being added or updated on the site. Check it out! It's pretty cool how fast it's growing, and how interesting the data is, even with only a few people testing it.

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »
Since we are at the naming part, I have a question about naming of the Terracotta Army. Moderncoin site names them soldier(left), soldier(right), soldier (kneeling), soldier (with horse). I see NGC naming the Kneeling Archer as Warrior KM 98 or Kneeling Fire.

This is what I would call them (though I'm waiting for them to return from NGC): Terracotta Army General, Terracotta Army Officer, Terracotta Army Kneeling Archer, Terracotta Army Horseman.

Also, the correct Hanyu Pinyin for Hong XU Quan should be Hong XIU Quan. Are we changing that or sticking to what he is known as?

Offline badon

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
I like your idea of naming them correctly. The images and text in the description can inform people of how to tell by the direction they are facing, or whether there's a horse also, etc.

I dislike Pinyin because it is neither Chinese, nor English, and is mutually unintelligible. If possible, I'd like translate the pinyin to English so it can be phonetically pronounced. Since the site will eventually support the Chinese language, there's no need for an intermediate language like Pinyin. Of course, we can mention in the descriptions what the pinyin version is, so it will show up in searches.

Since I don't know pinyin, I would need help with translating to English. So far, it seems like "Xu" in "Xu Hong" should be translated to "Shu". Also, I noticed that NGC's label for "Fu, Lu, Shou" should be "Fu, Lu, Sho" since the last part is pronounced "Sho" from what I've heard from native Chinese speakers. Of course, there are variations in the pronunciation of Chinese, so I'm really going to rely on the people who know the quirks of the Chinese language better than I do in order to get this right, if that's what we finally decide to do.

Is it possible to get rid of pinyin and translate to pronounceable English? We make all the rules, so we can do whatever we think is best, regardless of what NGC, PCGS, or any other source does. And, we can note all the variations very easily, so no one will have trouble finding it using whatever search terms they prefer.

What do you think?

Offline badon

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
DiggingNorway, I fixed sighting CCS12 that you entered in. You had put types in both the type field and the specimen field. The type field should only get CCT numbers and the specimen field should get CC numbers.

A sighting can be added to either types or specimens by just clicking the "add a sighting" link. If you want to add a sighting for a specimen, you have to enter the specimen into the CC first by going to the right type page and clicking the "add a new specimen" link. Then, you will be able to add a sighting for the specimen.

Adding a sighting for a specimen should also automatically add it for the type too, but the sightings lists aren't working yet on all the new types we have, so it probably won't show up except on the front page. There is no problem with the sighting system, I just need to adjust some minor things to make it work for everything, if I can. If I can't, then I can add a sightings list to each type page by hand.

Sighting lists should be showing up for specimens though.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
right... so before a sighting, there must have been created a specimen, gotcha..

Offline badon

« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
Yes, except if the sighting is for an ungraded or unidentifiable coin (can't see the certification number). Then, the sighting should be added to the type from the link on the type page. I changed the links on the type page to be a little more simple, so I hope it helps you find the right one easily. I'll do the same thing to the specimen page links too.

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
Yes, badon, let's take the lead with naming conventions. The rest could follow.  ;)

I think I might have got the third variety of Zhang Heng here.
It's a combination of first and second variety.
It is frosted near the robe but mirrored at the globe.
http://chinesepandacoin.blogspot.com/2011/12/1986-chinese-historical-figures-silver.html

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
bidding for raw coins of the HF are fierce... many bidders and prices touching 100USD in auctions for raw coins

Offline badon

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
I have noticed that. BobW was asking about them somewhere on this forum, and he's a savvy buyer. When people like him are chasing them, you know something is happening.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
I think I might have got the third variety of Zhang Heng here.
It's a combination of first and second variety.
It is frosted near the robe but mirrored at the globe.
http://chinesepandacoin.blogspot.com/2011/12/1986-chinese-historical-figures-silver.html
That's definitely another frosting variation.  The historical figures have such wide range of frosting variation, I'm at lost as to how to catagorize them.  In my own HF variation guide, I just circle the areas where frosting variation are observed and make no attempt to name them.  Some coin, like the 1986 Cai Lun has 5 circles now.