Author Topic: Varieties of silver Historical Figures, 1984 to 1993  (Read 100431 times)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Varieties of silver Historical Figures, 1984 to 1993
« Reply #540 on: July 16, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
Clark Smith is an excellent dealer!

Or a slight change in the angle of impact. There is a zone of frosting to the right of the 4 saber tooth design on the left coin that is missing from the coin on the right. Higher magnification of the sabre tooth area to compare both coins may reveal similarity or difference in design characteristics. Alternatively an alternating superimposed image sequence may help evaluate the whole coin. However, what do I know! Just a Jr. Member a.k.a. newbie!!!!

The picture of 3613749-003 before submission was taken with a point-and-shoot digital camera.  I dug it out and took another close up picture of the wall with my DSLR.  I think the "sabre tooth" (or battlement) is also present but frosted over.  I don't have a normal one to compare it to, but I think it is the same die, but reworked.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #541 on: July 18, 2015, 04:45:14 PM »
I thought $1000 is pretty expensive even for a hard-to-find (but unrecognized) variety of the 1985 G100Y Confucius.  In China PF69 is auctioned around $750.  Clark Smith has a PF69 (normal version) for $720.  Seller needs to raise his price by about 13% on eBay, but $1000 is still high.
The mintage of that coin may be a strong price factor if is actually near 25,000.
I could see the price lower if that is the case instead of the 8,558 of Mr. Ge's book.

The "weak hands versus strong hands owners" matters when your
stock market gets rough and you are not feeling quite as rich.

I wonder about Confucius' current cultural hero status in China. Will google about that.

Clark Smith sounds like a very decent dealer from what I have read on these pages.

I need to do more homework outside of EBay.

This blog has been an awesome help!

I have breezed into eBay on occasion and grabbed what I wanted irrespective of the "watchers" indicating that I wasn't the first person to see the deal! However, with 32 (33) watchers hanging around the joint I felt a Buggs Bunny "what's up Doc" moment come up and slowed a headlong dash into potential trouble. This is a large number of watchers; I don't know what the cutoff mark should be but 32 is a lot for me. It's screaming caution! This is not an instant decision time, unless you already know what the item is all about. Maybe you need it complete your set. Maybe it only comes to the market just a few times a year. Maybe you just love it that no price matters..

Numismatics has so much information and knowledge to offer. Real exciting times here for me! Now back to the puzzle of the birds, junk, fatman dollar, "500" coin and other esoteric items here! I don't know where Poconopenn gets all this information from. It's like watching a Professor of Numismatics at work!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #543 on: July 29, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »
I had only seen cards like that in German and English before.
Those are pretty nice accessories for the Terracotta Warrior Set.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »
I am not sure about how rare this type of packaging is. First time I have seen that.
I have posted images of German and English cards for MCC in the Gallery/Chinese Coin Reference Materials section.
Those are what I am used to seeing in EBay listings as well.
Chinese Historical cultural figures coins' COAs are in both Chinese and English.
The description cards are from the distributors, however.
I just purchased a 1995 Proof Silver Panda and was surprised to see its card in Norweigan--first time.
Seller may have been the original mint distributor from what the card says. I really should not be surprised.
Will post the card image when it comes in.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
Thanks to snowball's help I was able to acquire a large date variety of the 1986 G100Y Liu Bang.  There are actually two varieties of the large date, high and low.  I spent two years looking for it in the US and Europe but was unsuccessful.  The large date variety is easier to find in China (easier, but still took 6 months).  Attached are photos of the common small date (NGC 3613749-002), the large date (high) (NGC 4287357-053), and animated GIF overlay of the small date vs large date.

Note: small date/large date are my nomenclature only.  They are not yet recognized by NGC.

Offline dragonfan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »
Who is snowball SANDAC?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
snowball is the administrator of CCF:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6820.0
He is also the owner of the China-mint.info website:

http://china-mint.info/
contact info:
Colin Chen
CE Collection Inc.
ANA Member (R-3120111)  PCGS Member (590747)
Authorized Dealer of NGC (2716)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: November 11, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
The 1988 gold historical figure, Zhao Kuangyin, has three date shift varieties as demonstrated in the animated GIF below.  The associated NGC cert. number is at the bottom of each picture.

Offline Polkrich

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #550 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
Many thanks for all the members here and the brilliant infos about the varieties about these wonderful coins. I´m collecting these old coins for about 1 year in germany and now I have to check all of my coins for these showed varieties. Maybe some surprises will be come  :001_smile: