Author Topic: A 1988 New Orleans ANA Medal without a forehead rub?  (Read 298 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
A 1988 New Orleans ANA Medal without a forehead rub?
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:31 PM »
The market has been quiet, yet I've been watching.  I couldn't resist submitting a bid on recent auction for a 1988 New Orleans ANA Medal.  In the years I have been looking for one, they all had a severe forehead rub (even ones graded PF69!  See photo).  But this recent auction had one without the rub.  The forehead looked good on both the ebay listing photo and the NGC file photo.  If true, this will be a nice grade rarity.  My fingers are crossed.  I wonder what is different about where this New Orleans 1988 gold medal was purchased and how it was handled that led to its (apparently) unusually pristine condition?

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A 1988 New Orleans ANA Medal without a forehead rub?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 12:38:18 AM »
A GOOD guess is that the pristine example did not get rattled-around in the hard plastic case. This can occur in shipping, or even with too much careful handling. This is not the only MCC that suffers from this same issue. Prior to shipping off to NGC, original owner of the pristine example probably stored it in original hard case without much further handling.