Author Topic: Hello everyone, new collector from Pennsylvania, USA  (Read 781 times)

Offline eh365038

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello everyone, new collector from Pennsylvania, USA
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
Hi, my name is Eric and I am a newish collector. I got hooked after making a great buy on some China Proof Circulating sets (1981-1983). I have been researching ever since. Made a few good buys, and a few bad ones. I look forward to learning from your pool of knowledge.

Thanks -Eric

And of course like every new member....I have a coin I would like an opinion on............Please? N4

Offline eh365038

Re: Hello everyone, new collector from Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
Well, to keep it interesting, can I ask you to please take a look at this coin and give me an opinion? Thanks in advance.

-Eric

N48  N33  :001_tt2:

Offline eh365038

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 02:00:38 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum

Offline eh365038

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:34:40 PM »
Thanks. I have been researching Chinese coins like crazy. It's tough to find ones for sale where the seller isn't expecting full retail. And the auctions are terrible. People seem to be paying over the expected value. I guess that's how prices drive up.

-Eric

Offline eh365038

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I broke the coin I was interested in out of the holder and weighed/ measured it. It weighed out perfectly. Looks like I'll be sending it in.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
Thanks. I have been researching Chinese coins like crazy. It's tough to find ones for sale where the seller isn't expecting full retail. And the auctions are terrible. People seem to be paying over the expected value. I guess that's how prices drive up.

-Eric

I have tracked prices on several Chinese for a few years and today i see reasonable prices.      However, prices are rising and this market looks ready to move up.    With my limited knowledge, the cheap auctions that start at $99 cents or more are very rare now.    Most asking prices are high but a cheap auction will show real prices.     Now is the time to buy at these prices.    Again i do not recommend NILM new issue low mint medals or most Chinese new issue no matter how good the sales pitch is.    There is a market for them but the big gains will be w/ your early issue and fewer early issue are seen on ebay today or sold quick if priced right.     The only new issue i like are Peter's Valentine Heart Pandas and the Lunar Color silvers from Prestige Gold Panda sets.      Keep your search for early issue and some are still reasonably priced.     
It was posted here about 2 yrs ago that the small proof gold pandas are undervalued so i told my friends to buy them.    Asking prices are rising on them but rare cheap auctions (if any) will give real prices.     For example a 1990's G5Y PF 69 Proof Gold Panda 1/20 for under $200 are getting rare and sell very quick today.    There are still good buys for the time being.    Read past articles here to find out what is rare......

Offline eh365038

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
Thank you for the detailed help. I agree with what you are saying and I have been on the lookout. It seems like prices are on the rise right now as I have seen some items climb about 30% recently.

As one last favor, can you direct me to someone on the site that can translate this? It was on the front of the coin slab that I broke this coin out of and it would go a long way to help determine the origin. Thanks again for the help and happy hunting...