Author Topic: 1984 Great Wall Medal-Fake or Not  (Read 444 times)

Offline tonybaloney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
1984 Great Wall Medal-Fake or Not
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »
If I am not allowed for this to be posted I understand because I mistakenly post it in Introductions. But I have had this coin for several years and have tried to do research as time permitted. Only today did I stumble upon this forum and joined.  This medal I have is a boxed piece with marked inscriptions I can't read on lid. Coin inside is proof shiny and matte or frosted  of Great Wall.  Reverse shows square mark at top over words that say" IF WE FAIL TO REACH THE GREAT WALL WE ARE NO HEROS". So far everything I've read says the mispelling makes this an error coin. Here's the problem I see which makes me think this is a fake. My digital scales shows a weight of 127.5 grams or 4.50 ounces. It does measure 60mm across. Any chance this is authentic or is it just a steel coin with silverplate and only a tourist coin?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: 1984 Great Wall Medal-Fake or Not
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:04:19 AM »
Welcome aboard Tony.     I do not know if it is genuine but it looks good.     Someone else will post.        As rare as this medal is, there are several of them that have come up for sale.        The 1984 silver pagoda w/ 260 mint is not believed by some members here no matter what China Mint says.    This Great Wall beauty has 68 mint by Mr Ge.    Could that mint number be questioned like the 84 silver pagoda?.......
Nice medal...

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:11:38 AM »
Welcome Tony,

Maybe some of the members in this thread can shed light on its authenticity.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4488.0

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »
To my knowledge, there are no known fakes of this mirror field version.

Offline tonybaloney

• New
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
Thanks so far. I guess it's nice to hear no fakes have come up. I don't think it is but the weight is greater than 30.3 ounces. I thought maybe my scale was off so I calibrated with American copper pennys pre-1982 which in mint condition should weigh 3.1 grams. I weighed several and they all came out correct, so I'm pretty sure the weight for my medal here is correct.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Please post higher resolution pictures, current pictures can not see the details of design of this medal.

I do not own this 1984 silver proof medal. Therefore, I can not tell you the weight of this medal. However, as in the

following link, the document shows this medal weighs 103.1 gm, 3.3 Tael, (1 "market" tael = 31.25gm).

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4488.33 (Reply#33)

Mmissngjink  in the following link, also states that his 1984  silver proof medal weighs 103 gm.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4488.60  (Reply # 60)

IMO, the box is not original.

My recommendation is to submit to NGC to determine its authenticity.