Author Topic: Guessing the NEXT Trend  (Read 2618 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: Guessing the NEXT Trend
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 08:12:06 PM »
"but I must hasten to say I bought a lot of crap in the past! (Sorry for the lingo). I hope my days of buying every POS that turns up are gone. (Keeping fingers crossed)."

Do tell what purchases you made that you now feel were crap buys . . . :)

N2  N8  N9  N10   N11

:thumbup1:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
Thanks again for the feedback.  Good information to ponder.  I've been looking at the early year silver Pandas and they are expensive, but one has to wonder if they will be many more multiples higher in 20 years.  The debate I have with myself is, is it better to buy one of these rare pieces with a mintage of 10,000 versus buying a china gold piece that cost about the same, and some cases are a bit less.  The debate I have with myself causes me to get pretty dizzy.  Anyone else have this challenge?  Thank for sharing your thoughts about medals, coins, pandas, show medals.  I hope this information is helping more than just me. 

I just saw the comment about a silver dime being worth a $100.00.  We can only dream, but if that dream came true, my cup off morning coffee would cost a silver dime?

What's your experience with collecting coins? You don't have to answer but I hope I don't sound condescending to someone who may already know more than myself about these issues!  In my short experience the answers to the questions are many and varied and often come only with time and experience. It is usually advised that new collectors play with the inexpensive ones until they can make the right decisions. When that is I don't know but a lot of this can be speculative and one can get burnt real bad.

If you buy a silver 1oz 1983-1985 panda OMP and it turns out to be a seventy your capital outlay just went into multiples if it doesn't spot the next day. But what are the chances?!

Gold coins seem to be more stable surface wise but the newer releases are essentially bullion.

If you are talking about the pre-2010 gold panda coins the answer is still conditional and depends on experience or sheer Goodluck. That said the pre-2010s are the ones more likely to drift up in value over time but your entry point price is critical.

The particular coins that will pop are top secret until after they pop!

But like I said everything is possible.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the questions.  And yes, I'm fairly new collecting coins, but especially China Pandas.  Although, my time to hold is not months, but many years, maybe as long as I live, which could be a long time (or short), depending on if luck is on my side.  I'm not looking for a quick turn around to sell.  If I bought an expensive silver panda, I'd be holding for many years.  If it cost 1,200 today, in 30 years, as the China market matures even more, and more people start collecting silver pandas, I wonder what the return would be on that 1,200 coin with a mintage of 10,000?  And how many grade 69?  What would those be worth.  Lots of questions, but unfortunately no one knows the future.  I do know a little more about the U.S. coins, and there are some silver eagles that fetched a big price tag (30,000, 1999 MS 70 with a big mintage number).  What would be the equivalent for these rare precious bears if enough people are chasing them?

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 02:38:34 AM »
No matter how experienced you are, you will make mistakes, the last 4 months I have been selling all my mistakes from the last 10 years and I don't care if I lose 10% or 90%, I just want out of the stuff that isn't core to my future view of collectibles.  I sold bullion, paper money, gold nuggets, silver, palladium, platinum, stamps, sports cards, watches, oil stocks, etc. 

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the questions.  And yes, I'm fairly new collecting coins, but especially China Pandas.  Although, my time to hold is not months, but many years, maybe as long as I live, which could be a long time (or short), depending on if luck is on my side.  I'm not looking for a quick turn around to sell.  If I bought an expensive silver panda, I'd be holding for many years.  If it cost 1,200 today, in 30 years, as the China market matures even more, and more people start collecting silver pandas, I wonder what the return would be on that 1,200 coin with a mintage of 10,000?  And how many grade 69?  What would those be worth.  Lots of questions, but unfortunately no one knows the future.  I do know a little more about the U.S. coins, and there are some silver eagles that fetched a big price tag (30,000, 1999 MS 70 with a big mintage number).  What would be the equivalent for these rare precious bears if enough people are chasing them?

Collecting coins:   It is good to see you want to learn.    However, many on this forum have been asked the same questions from newbies.    May i suggest what other new collectors have done?     They went back and read most all topics on this forum that go back a few years.    Lots of great information posted in the past.     This will help to answer your questions and probably create new questions.      Very helpful to read past topics.      Personally i think the Chinese coin/medal collecting craze will become a monster and it could happen soon.    Most here say comments like the upcoming explosion in Chinese collecting.    After all China owns the US manufacturing and gold so they are now a very rich country while the US has stepped down many notches in wealth.      Chinese out bid the world for rarity and it is a matter of time for them to all discover their National pride, artwork coins/medals.       I suggest you figure out what you want to buy and buy it soon.......

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.