Author Topic: dishonest seller from australia  (Read 1260 times)

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
dishonest seller from australia
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
well, i just had my first screw-over as a coin collector. there was a 1996 gold 1/2 ms69 on eBay a couple of weeks ago. the seller eBay user id is
yng52jac and he had a perfect feedback rating of 52. his name is either jacky young, jackie young, or bruce young. in any case, i corresponded with him by email, and i made a deal with him privately to buy the coin.
i paid him via paypal, and he shipped me the coin, although my street number was wrong. my mail carrier somehow found the box and delivered it to me today.
i opened it only to find an empty box! not even some paper for weight. i have started my first paypal claim, but am still concerned, as it cost me $4,250. anyone with any experience with this please let me know if there's anything else i can do.
i should have videotaped myself opening the box, but honestly did not expect he would screw me like this. beware of this person!!!

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
Re: dishonest seller from australia
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
one thing i'd like to know from anyone who has done this-- while my claim is going through paypal, should i pay the balance on this transaction which went on my credit card bill, or contest it there as well? thanks--

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »
Did you pay for it as "goods or services"? If so, I think you have coverage. It may just take time. If friends and family, y ou are screwed.

Offline baron88

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
You should definitely call your credit card comapny and file a dispute asap. Using PayPal and pay with a creit card gives you double protection in case bad thing like this happens.

Offline baron88

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
Also it is pretty odd a scamer would send an empty box with nothing in it. Normally it would be filled with something to make up the weight. May be something happend in transit since the street number is wrong?

Online ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »
what was the serial number of the coin?

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »
Did you pay for it as "goods or services"? If so, I think you have coverage. It may just take time. If friends and family, y ou are screwed.
yes i did, and there is an invoice with the info about the coin there, thank goodness. 

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »
what was the serial number of the coin?
the serial number was blacked out on the eBay listing-

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
Also it is pretty odd a scamer would send an empty box with nothing in it. Normally it would be filled with something to make up the weight. May be something happend in transit since the street number is wrong?
that's possible. although the street number is completely wrong. there's no way he could have gotten that from my address listed on paypal. he only insured the package for $100 and did not put his last name on the package. it feels funny on many levels. perhaps he was hoping the package would be lost? or that it would buy him time since it took much longer to get to me? i don't know. if he wanted it to get lost, why not write a worse address? it's very confusing. the weight of the package shipped was .5 kg, including a small half size shoebox type of box. so that sounds about what it should have been with a coin in it. but he could have overstated the weight when shipping.

Offline baron88

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »
The package had gone through many hands, besides the shippers, also custom inspectors of both countries. But what's important is you have Paypal and credit card company to reservse the payment back to you. Please keep us posted of the result. Good luck!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
All you can do is file a claim with paypal and credit card company.

When I search ebay I block all sellers not in the US for this very reason, any deal that seems too good to be true from outside the US is probably a scam.  International transactions are not worth the trouble. 

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:09:51 PM »
Sorry for your bad experience.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online ccl

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »

I remember this listing. At the time, I was able to determine that the pics for this coin were from a sale that happened several months prior.

Offline xiaohei99

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »

That's a red flag to me for a non-U.S. seller...

Offline 1003

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Did you give him the correct address and he wrote the wrong street # instead?

Online ccl

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
I remember this listing. At the time, I was able to determine that the pics for this coin were from a sale that happened several months prior.

I found everything, if you want details to support your case send me a direct message.

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles. As previously mentioned, file claim with BOTH Paypal and your credit card company. While you have a dispute claim pending with your credit card company, you are not required to pay the amount attributed to the dispute until it is settled one way or the other. I think that all will work out fine. Don't worry, just jump through the Paypal and credit company hoops as they prescribe. Have you heard back from the "seller"?? Best of luck for a quick settlement!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
It will also be a good idea if you report this to the Fraud Division of the Interpol or to the Australian authorities. This guy may already have a history.

Unfortunately, you will have to do the grunge work but if the criminal is apprehended then others won't have to suffer the same fate as you.

Goodluck!

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
It will also be a good idea if you report this to the Fraud Division of the Interpol or to the Australian authorities. This guy may already have a history.

Unfortunately, you will have to do the grunge work but if the criminal is apprehended then others won't have to suffer the same fate as you.

Goodluck!

that's a good idea. unfortunately interpol's website has no information that i can find about reporting someone to them for any type of crime that i can discern.

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »
I found everything, if you want details to support your case send me a direct message.
thank you! PM sent-

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »
that's a good idea. unfortunately interpol's website has no information that i can find about reporting someone to them for any type of crime that i can discern.

I sent you the URL to the Australian Cybercrime report page. Every thing helps.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
one thing i'd like to know from anyone who has done this-- while my claim is going through paypal, should i pay the balance on this transaction which went on my credit card bill, or contest it there as well? thanks--

give pay pal time to sort thru it 1 week once you file a credit card claim pay pal will bail out on you,Stay on top of pay pal ..hopefully with a 52 count feedback and a high value transaction  pay pal did not release the money to him...............

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
good news- paypal has decided the case in my favor and my money was refunded. the "seller" had 10 days to respond to paypal's email, and i don't believe he did, so it was quite simple. in any event, i learned my lesson about buying from overseas sellers. thanks to everyone for your help with this!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
cool !

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
give pay pal time to sort thru it 1 week once you file a credit card claim pay pal will bail out on you,Stay on top of pay pal ..hopefully with a 52 count feedback and a high value transaction  pay pal did not release the money to him...............
thanks for your help- and you were correct, one cannot begin a claim with paypal and a credit card company at the same time. the credit card claim will cause paypal to end their claim. paypal's process starts with contacting the seller and if he doesn't respond within 10 days, you are good. credit card companies can take months, so it seems like the way to go is to start with a paypal claim first.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
glad it worked out ..yes pay pal and e bay are your first route ... once the credit company is involved they immediately stop working on your behalf...  you can always file a claim if you dont like the pay pal outcome

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
Glad things turned out fine for you. Thanks for sharing.