Author Topic: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money  (Read 9329 times)

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »
Mark,

I agree quite some people, my self included, are overwhelmed by the many medals for various conventions, especially 2016-2017. The thing I disliked most is that very often they are not clear about how many different sizes and materials exist for a single convention. Often they reveal some new pieces long after the show ended. The 2017 Berlin has some 8 gram gold and 16 gram gold/silver piedforts announced several months after the show. I think the bottom line is to announce early how many different issues will there be for a single show and let people buy their preferred design and metal. 

Offline 1003

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
Will,

The light colored boxes look much better than previous Shanghai mint maroon boxes.

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
I just did some research on the Anaheim medals, and I see that they had 4 different types.  Seems like a lot?  I really like that big panda on the Denver piece. I just noticed that only 2 are made available for purchase now, and then another one or two different styles are available at the show?  How many different versions will modern coin mart have?  Mark, I happen to agree with you, it seems like a lot of shows, and different types of medals being introduced in a short period of time. Makes my head dizzy with confusion.  I wonder if it is because more and more people are on a panda craze? Is there a point when there is market over saturation, and people lose interest?  Will, I like the look of the boxes. I'm assuming we will have to wait until the show to see what the real show medal looks like?  Thank you.

Offline 1003

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
Anaheim has at least 6. Silver 1oz, 50 g, 12 oz; gold 1oz, 50 g; a trimetal with a bird. Maybe even more. 2017 berlin has more than 10 I believe.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
10?! No way. That's crazy.  When did all this change? It used to be where there were 2 or 3 pandas based on what I've gathered. 10 is a bit extreme? 6 is extreme enough! Perplexed. Looks like Denver will have a minimum of 6. As mentioned, at what point to people get exhausted trying to keep up? Some already have.  I think these show organizers have to a better job approving and limiting what is acceptable? But if people are buying them, it may be a little difficult to stop?

Offline Jens

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »
Collectingcoins, i think we already are at the point were the market is over-saturated and people lose interest.
Not only do we have lots of show pandas and other commemorative pandas but also various panda medal series from the chinese mints.
I don't see any of these go up in value at the moment so i think it is already too much. There's only so many pandas people can buy...
I also said it on another forum and i'll repeat it here, i don't think it is a good idea to mint ultra low mintage varieties in different metals and give them to vips, members, dealers or best buddies so that they can make a guaranteed profit.
I think collectors like to have complete sets and taking away the hope of ever owning a complete set for reasonable prices right from the start is counter-productive (just my humble opinion, though, others might find these rarities exciting)

Offline 1003

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
I can list the sizes and materials if you are interested. Obviously, I need to refer to the catalog I got from the company who commissioned many recent year medals. 10 is more than I can list right now but that is the case for 2017 Berlin.

Offline 1003

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
For collectors in search of complete sets, it is devastating because you don't know what are out there even if you have the budget. I don't see they even have a complete plan of what to issue. You can expect follow-up issues after the show ends.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »
This is really discouraging for a new collector.  Maybe I should just stick with bullion pandas. At they are cheap, and have a face value. Or perhaps I should look into earlier pieces that don't have 10 to a set.

Offline 1003

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »
What is most discouraging is actually you don't know what they will add later. Show pandas coming long after the show ends should not be welcome, IMHO.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
It is obvious the numbers of new issue, low mint medals are diluted or over saturated w/ many, many more on the way.      Not to sound redundant but for me early issue medals will eventually reign supreme even though the designs/quality may be so so in comparison to new issue.    (I do like ALL the new issue designs.)   82 gold panda medals, 84 to 89 HK Expo silver panda medals, plus many more.     The best will be those by the Grandfather of medals......Feng Yunming (my biased opinion).....featured on Fwang's translation blog.....

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
What is most discouraging is actually you don't know what they will add later. Show pandas coming long after the show ends should not be welcome, IMHO.

I am trying to decide if a Panda that is issued after a show ends should be classified as a Show Panda, or as a Panda medal that has a show design. Everyone's views on this are welcomed. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
I know I'm new here and to coins in general, but that doesn't seem to make sense?  When does the line ever stop? Can they do it 10 years later. Seems a little scary to me as a new collector of this stuff. Has this kind of thing happened before? If so, when? Thank you.

Offline 1003

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
2016 Anaheim has 9, silver 1 oz, 50 g, 12 oz; gold 1 oz, 50 g; a trimetal, trimetal piedfort, copper piedfort, brass piedfort.

2017 Berlin has 12, silver 1 oz, 8 g, 16 g, 50 g; gold 1 oz, 8 g, 16 g; trimetal, trimetal piedfort; copper piedfort, brass piedfort; copper gold glided trial.

Those may not be complete lists. Just too many. I am surprised that Anaheim has 9, originally I could only recall 6.

Offline 1003

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
I think it is better not try to complete the sets, some are not easily accessible. I only buy those not with hefty premiums.