Author Topic: 1997 12 oz silver Auspicious Matters....does it exist?  (Read 510 times)

Offline canadian

• Trade Count: (+1)
1997 12 oz silver Auspicious Matters....does it exist?
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:33:11 PM »
For a few years now I have been building a collection of coins from the "Auspicious Matters" series (1997 - 1999). Although every indication suggests that the 1997 12oz silver coin exists I have never seen one, nor have I ever seen a recorded sale for one. Is it out there?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: 1997 12 oz silver Auspicious Matters....does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
Actual mintage of this 12 oz. coin is 4. It was only mentioned in Red book with a mintage of 2000. 

Offline canadian

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:44:29 AM »
Now I know why I've never seen one!!! Thanks poconopenn.

This series fascinates me. For decades I have been eating in Chinese restaurants, many of them have something like the images on these coins displayed near the till. Either a ceramic ornament or a paper wall hanging. Looking at the 1998 through western eyes this is what I see. An elegantly dressed baby wearing lipstick and a oldmans hairdo holding a vase of flowers while a kneeling elephant gazes adoringly at him. Why is this a symbol of revitalization? And what is an "Auspicious Matter" Something must be lost in translation.

Ebay, until recently has pretty much had this whole series available (except for the 1997 12oz). Recently I have noticed a few gaps in the availability

Here is a sample of what is currently available.
http://www.ebay.ca/cln/l_becker403/auspicious-matters/362318067018

Offline canadian

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »
I sincerely hope that I didn't offend anybody with my description of the 1998 Auspicious Matters issue, my intention was to show my lack of understanding.

With The help of a dictionary and a thesaurus, I believe I may have developed a better understanding.......

Auspicious.....successful/important
Matters..........business
Revitalization..Growth, going forward with vigour

This would explain why these images are often displayed at places of business however I still do not understand how the images symbolize these concepts.

The China mint went big with this series in 1997 releasing 8 related  coins, in 1998 they reduced the number to 4 coins, in 1999 3 coins and in 2000 they dropped the series altogether, presumably because of lack of interest.

For me this series of coins has always been a bit nostalgic (I grew up seeing these images) and mysterious (I never knew what they ment)

Could anybody explain these symbols?

Would a complete collection of this series be the rarest collection/master set of Modern Chinese Coins?