Author Topic: Please help with indentification of modern coin (?)  (Read 764 times)

Offline foxybee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Please help with indentification of modern coin (?)
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »
Hello People!
Please can someone help to identify this coin for me?
To be honest, I'm not even certain its Chinese, or its denomination.

Its small (15mm across), Gold coloured, weighs approx. 4g and depicts the number '18' on one side and a star emblem on the other. Several (possibly Chinese) letters appear on both sides.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but could this be some kind of tiny bullion coin? Although a quick scan of tinterweb has indicated that Chinese bullion coins have pandas on, which obviously this doesn't.

Help me Chinese Coin Forum people! You're my only hope...

Many thanks!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Please help with indentification of modern coin (?)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
The writing says"18 year service award" in Traditional Chinese.  So it is a medal most likely made in Taiwan.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:50:15 AM »
The writing says"18 year service award" in Traditional Chinese.  So it is a medal most likely made in Taiwan.

It is possible from PRC since the star in this medal usually is associated with pre-1950 communist party and tradition Chinese was used in writing pre-1950.

Offline foxybee

• New
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
Many thanks guys.

Great bit of info so far. Good to hear it is Chinese, even if not technically a coin. So I was half right! Huzzah!

Any idea what the lettering on the 'star side' says?
Its intriguing that it could be as old as pre 1950. It looks in pretty new condition, I honestly thought it might be only a couple of years old!

Does anybody know what organisation would have awarded it? Government? Military? Private Sector?
And does anybody else out there in tinterweb-land have examples of the same or similar objects?

Cheers again.

Offline foxybee

• New
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
Ah Ha! I have conducted further research and found out some additional info.

Writing on the star side says 'The China Club', which is apparently a top class for the filthy rich, business corporate types and high society social elite. After a while of Google hunting, I found the same logo as on the coin in a picture (it was on the corner of a napkin on a China Club dining table!)...Although apparently the China Club only founded in 1991 so the token is not of any significant age. So far so good. starting to come together.

It has tiny letters on the side which I didn't see at first reading 'ctf 999.9 lj'. Apparently this is the work of Chow Tai Fook and is gold - 999.9 sounds pretty good so I'm guessing 24ct?  LJ is presumably the factory of origin (maybe in Hong Kong?).

So, the story so far is some guy/gal worked for The China Club for 18 years, and were awarded this token of appreciation for their service. The question now is who were they? I guess we'll never know...

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »
Nice research!  The name and logo appear to be the same as that of the China Club.  Since the club is located in Hong Kong which uses Traditional Chinese writings, the writing on the medal is consistent.  I think you've ID it.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:49:03 PM »
Very interesting gold medal. Thanks for sharing. This is the fun part of collecting.

Apparently, China Club is one of the best restaurant in H.K. The acrobatic tea pouring as shown in the picture posted in the following link is a very rare performing arts. I had seen once during my many trips to China.

https://bagnidilucca.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-china-club-hong-kong/and