Author Topic: New Hong Kong Coin Show Panda  (Read 4513 times)

Offline GoldenLord

• Trade Count: (+6)
New Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
And another Panda for 2016..
thats many Releases for this year.

The new one have 1 Oz Fine Silver and limited 888.
I really like the Little Panda Babys  :001_wub:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hong-Kong-2016-Panda-Inaugual-HKCS-PCGS-PR69DCAM-Secure-1-OZAlmost-Perfect-PROOF-/391607970809?hash=item5b2da76bf9:g:1NIAAOSwB09YEwBP

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »
Minted by?

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 09:06:16 PM »
I attended this Hong Kong Coin Show.  With four major organizers, an international group of coin and currency dealers and a beautiful setting in the upper reaches of the Mira Hotel, this coin show was very, very impressive.

After attending the event, I purchased three of the gold medals commemorating this event for my personal collection.  NGC authenticated, graded and encapsulated these medals for me. 

I am pleased to see that PCGS is also grading the silver medals.

Mark Bonke

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »
Wow there are so many panda medals in 2016. This Hong Kong show panda does not even mention if it is BU or proof, or at which mint it is minted on the COA.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »
The above eBay link.  Are those white spots I see in the PCGS holder already in a 69?

Offline 1003

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 09:31:06 PM »
Minted by?
I looked at the COA, it does not mention the mint at all, nor does the COA paper has any watermark that indicates the mint.
IMHO, I feel that there are way too many panda medals in 2016 and some of them seem not to be so official to me.

Offline 1003

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
I attended this Hong Kong Coin Show.  With four major organizers, an international group of coin and currency dealers and a beautiful setting in the upper reaches of the Mira Hotel, this coin show was very, very impressive.

After attending the event, I purchased three of the gold medals commemorating this event for my personal collection.  NGC authenticated, graded and encapsulated these medals for me. 

I am pleased to see that PCGS is also grading the silver medals.

Mark Bonke
Hi Mark,
Would you mind uploading a picture of the gold medal? What is the mintage?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:19:44 PM »
Here is another new low mintage silver panda medal (60 gm.) from Nanjing Mint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HK-2016-Panda-Great-China-C-Asso-HK-PCGS-PR69DCAM-Secure-2-OZ-Almost-Perfect-PF-/391609026514?hash=item5b2db787d2:g:PFQAAOSw5cNYFGwd

Just be aware "mintage trap" of those recently issued panda medals.

Offline bonke

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »
The Hong Kong Coin Show 1oz gold medal has a mintage of 28 and is graded as a proof medal by NGC.  It has the same design as shown for the silver medal.

Remember, some coin forum members have stressed for many years that it is important to purchase coins and not medals. Then, several years ago, NGC started labeling some medals as "official" and some investors resubmitted their medals to have the labels changed to show the "official" status.  Recently, an attempt has been made to reclassify certain past, present and future panda design medals commemorating coin shows as "official show pandas" to avoid any negative implications of the term "medal."  For these "official show pandas", it is no longer acceptable to use the "m" word. 

I purchased the Hong Kong Coin Show gold medals because I was impressed by the coin show and felt it was going to play an important role in the sale of Chinese coins to investors from the Peoples Republic of China.  The April and August coin shows in the lower level of the Holiday Inn in Kowloon have been very crowded affairs with many watch dealers.  From my point of view, the coin shows at the Holiday Inn represent the past, and the Hong Kong Coin Show organized by Stacks Bowers, Spink, Coin In Coin and Shouxi (April and August shows) and the Hong Kong International Numismatic Fair organized by Heritage (June and December shows) represent the future.   Based on my impressions, I purchased a few momentos of the event for my collection and, fortunately, NGC was willing to encapsulate them for me.

Mark Bonke 

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:59:20 AM »
Nice medals.    The popularity of new issue, low mintage medals has got to give life to early year, low mintage medals.   Asian's still love coins over medals but how long will that last?   Medals have got to become popular at some point and change the mind of purist collectors of coins.    Fwang posted some time ago on his translation blog of Why Medals?     Early year medals seem way undervalued to me.......Will the M word rise to the top as the market slowly matures?.......may take a while but it should go in that direction.....       am i way off base?....

Offline bonke

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »
I do not know what collectors or investors will do in the future.  Certainly, the marketplace is flooded with 21st Century Chinese medals (some with low mintage and some with not).  And, certainly, the modern Chinese medals from the late 1970s and 1980s are rare.  A few collectors could easily purchase all of the early post-Mao medals.  Possibly, they already have.  I have seen very few older medals in the marketplace.

Mark Bonke

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
The above eBay link.  Are those white spots I see in the PCGS holder already in a 69?

Good catch PandaorLunar, that's exactly what you're seeing.  Wow...I'm surprised at how many there are, and how fast they popped up.   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
It takes only 1 month for PCGS holders to accelerate white spots on silver and about 3 months to tone gold to dark yellow color.  Anytime you see a major portion of the mintage slabbed to PCGS, buy spot free omp or spot free NGC, they will be gems compared to their PCGS spotted counterparts after a few months to many years out.

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 06:49:03 PM »
Great advice Arif. I recently sent in some 2016 PCGS Panda medals for crossover. I had to have them put through NCS to remove the toning to get them to cross at the same grade. I was lucky that there were no WSOD but the example of the 1 oz. Hong Kong Coin Show on Ebay appears to be covered with them.

Russ

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 11:33:23 PM »
The recent high profile Show Panda (medal) releases have made it impossible for low mintage Panda medals to continue being ignored. The designs look good and increase the variety of offerings available to collectors!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!