Author Topic: New Panda Buyers Guide  (Read 5708 times)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: New Panda Buyers Guide
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
I was reading the description of the 2013 set on govmint and comparing it to apmex, one is hyping the set as the key set to own of a lifetime, while the other is just stating the facts and charging 44% less.  Mintage of 1000 is the same marketing tactic used to sell various configurations of unicorn coins back in the mid-90s, you bundle a few 5000 mintage coins into a unique set and produce 750 special set COA and sell it as 750 mintage set.  The first thought that crossed my mind is if you are marketing the set as 1000 mintage (I know it is first strike) and then you get Peter's book and it states mintages of 600,000 to 800,000 - won't you feel that you were misled.  I wonder which customers are targeted for this book.  

The typical customer is grandma buying a present for their grandchild, the child grows up to sell it 10-20 years later and has no idea what grandma paid and sells at melt, so most of these people never know they were overcharged.  The second scenario is grandpa buys the set for his own retirement and few years later decides to sell and realizes he overpaid.  The final scenario is young collector or trader buys the set as investment and after few months or years tries to sell it and finds out he overpaid.  There is saying that great assets move from weak hands to strong hands and poor asset move from strong hands to weak hands.

Govmint - $5995: Among the stunning coins issued by the China Mint, there is perhaps no set more deserving of its title than the 2013 Prestige First Strike Gold Panda Set. After all, less than 1,000 people in the world can ever own this extremely limited five-piece gold Panda set. For many China Panda buyers, it represents the 'Best of the Best': Five 2013 Gold Pandas struck in 99.9% fine gold in sizes ranging from one Troy ounce to one-twentieth ounce, a special oval Year of the Snake medallion in one Troy ounce of 99.9% silver (only available in this set), and with an official mint certificate.  But, prestige gets even better when you add pedigree! The China Mint sent these coins directly to Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) accompanied by an official letter from the mint, certifying them as First Strike® coins. This 2013 Prestige First Strike Gold Panda Set includes only those coins which earned the near-perfect grade of Mint State-69 (MS69) First Strike (FS). Prestige and pedigree can be yours today simply by picking up that other modern 'P' marvel: the phone!

Apmex - $3357:  This 5-Coin Gold Panda Prestige Set is graded a near perfect MS-69 by PCGS and includes the First Strike label ensuring that it is one of the first few released from the mint! A silver 1 oz colorized snake medal is also included. The set includes the 2013 1 oz 500 Yuan, 2013 1/2 oz 200 Yuan, 2013 1/4 oz 100 Yuan, 2013 1/10th oz 50 Yuan and 2013 1/20th oz 20 Yuan. A Great way to acquire all 5 Chinese 2013 Gold Pandas! The actual gold weight of this set is 1.90 oz. Comes with a presentation box and certificate of authenticity.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »

Govmint - $5995: Among the stunning coins issued by the China Mint, there is perhaps no set more deserving of its title than the 2013 Prestige First Strike Gold Panda Set. After all, less than 1,000 people in the world can ever own this extremely limited five-piece gold Panda set. For many China Panda buyers, it represents the 'Best of the Best': Five 2013 Gold Pandas struck in 99.9% fine gold in sizes ranging from one Troy ounce to one-twentieth ounce, a special oval Year of the Snake medallion in one Troy ounce of 99.9% silver (only available in this set), and with an official mint certificate.  But, prestige gets even better when you add pedigree! The China Mint sent these coins directly to Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) accompanied by an official letter from the mint, certifying them as First Strike® coins. This 2013 Prestige First Strike Gold Panda Set includes only those coins which earned the near-perfect grade of Mint State-69 (MS69) First Strike (FS). Prestige and pedigree can be yours today simply by picking up that other modern 'P' marvel: the phone!

N32 N36

Online ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
guess the price of 2016 China Gold "Prestige" Panda 5pc Set NGC MS70 First Releases then press the link:

http://www.govmint.com/world-coins/by-country-a-f/china-coins/2016-china-gold-panda-prestige-set-ngc-ms70-first-releases.html

I added the " " to Prestige by the way

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
there's this one too: http://www.govmint.com/world-coins/by-country-a-f/china-coins/2016-china-gold-panda-prestige-set-ngc-ms70-first-releases.html

Yes, that appears to be the most egregious example.  I pointed that out this morning, in support of your original post, that at that price the buyer should be getting TWO sets and still have plenty of money left over.   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Online ccl

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »
yes absolutely! It gets me how many of these things are sold out, they do manage to sell them.

Must have a line up of smooth talkers on the phones.

This company brought a lot of great material to the U.S and many of their customers made big profits if they bought the right stuff in the 1990's and held long enough. Actually, I'll also compliment them in that period of time on the work that went into the boxes, paperwork, written materials that told stories of Chinese culture and history. That was a very different era however and one would suspect few people involved back then to still be around.

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »
This organization is by far a big rip, however,  there are to many people with too much bloody money.  If people would stop throwing money at everything out there, thinking they are going to make millions and they a little research we would not have these problems.  There is nothing more that I can't stand than people not educating themselves when resources are available.  Time and effort are the key to wealth.  Peters book is there to educate us.  Peter is the solution not the problem.  We all are capable of making decisions.  If a killer deal came up for sale on eBay I'm going to buy it I am not going to ask permission from this forum.  Are you kidding me.  We are all here to support each other but we are all capable of making our own decisions.  Peter you will always have my respect.  I appreciate all that your have done to educate us all.  Thank you

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »

This company brought a lot of great material to the U.S and many of their customers made big profits if they bought the right stuff in the 1990's and held long enough. Actually, I'll also compliment them in that period of time on the work that went into the boxes, paperwork, written materials that told stories of Chinese culture and history. That was a very different era however and one would suspect few people involved back then to still be around.

Yes, this company was my source of MCC in 1990’s. However, I had not bought any MCC form this company since 2000 for the obvious reason.

The next public edition of  "The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide" is about to go to the printer. It contains a significant amount of original information that has never been published before. Availability will be announced here on the Coin Forum as soon as there is a shipping date.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Peter,
When are you going to publish second edition of Chinese version of your panda guide?

There are many panda collectors inside China. However, they simply do not have the resource to find the information of earlier issued pandas wrote in Chinese. The collector will not buy collectible unless they have the knowledge to assess the valuation of the item. Many post-2000 pandas have a valuation higher than pre-2000, since China Mint has published sufficient information of post-2000 MCC, while information of pre-2000 is very limited. Apparently, the limited distribution of first Chinese edition with 1000 copies has not generated enough impact during last two years.  Hopefully, your second edition of Chines version panda guide, with an incresed number of copies and a better distribution network, will bridge the information gap and attract more panda collectors inside China to buy earlier pandas.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 08:04:17 PM »
I have heard that gov mint calls the mark,s they suckered in and try,s to rip them off again on new offerings ..... shameless, I met an older women who had bought all 3 2008 Olympic gold and silver sets from these crooks she got suckered for close to 15k .... the gold in the sets was graded ngc 70 the silver was ungraded .. she bought it over the phone she was sold it as an investment of a life time .....  when I told her on a good day it was worth 1/3 what she paid for it she burst in tears..

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »
Yes, this company was my source of MCC in 1990’s. However, I had not bought any MCC form this company since 2000 for the obvious reason.
Peter,
When are you going to publish second edition of Chinese version of your panda guide?

There are many panda collectors inside China. However, they simply do not have the resource to find the information of earlier issued pandas wrote in Chinese. The collector will not buy collectible unless they have the knowledge to assess the valuation of the item. Many post-2000 pandas have a valuation higher than pre-2000, since China Mint has published sufficient information of post-2000 MCC, while information of pre-2000 is very limited. Apparently, the limited distribution of first Chinese edition with 1000 copies has not generated enough impact during last two years.  Hopefully, your second edition of Chines version panda guide, with an incresed number of copies and a better distribution network, will bridge the information gap and attract more panda collectors inside China to buy earlier pandas.

When the English version is printed I will submit it to my publisher in China. I won't know when until after that occurs.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:28 PM »
guess the price of 2016 China Gold "Prestige" Panda 5pc Set NGC MS70 First Releases then press the link:

http://www.govmint.com/world-coins/by-country-a-f/china-coins/2016-china-gold-panda-prestige-set-ngc-ms70-first-releases.html

I added the " " to Prestige by the way

WOW. No words. Usury at its highest level.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 10:12:35 PM »
Did anyone see the excellent offer from MCM today regarding 1oz ANA silver medals PF70.  They were paying $200 at the ANA show to buy these coins and today they are selling PF70 for $198, this is truly a great deal, 50% discount to the lowest price sold on ebay.  This why I don't deal in new issues, MCM can wipe me out in a second even if it costs them to do so, the older 1990-2010 coins they don't have access to quantity so I still have a fighting chance.

I wonder if govmint does the same strategy, put a high price out there on the web site and then send an email offer or phone offer to customer to save 60% off the advertised price.  

Online ccl

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »
How long did the deal run for do you know? Appears to have stopped.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 11:25:37 PM »
It is invite only deal for previous MCM customers on ebay.  It is good for another 40 hours or so. 

Few days ago they had 50g silver at $495, $1000 discount to their normal ebay price, but the sold transaction price listed on ebay is $1495, this type of transaction where certain customers get a discount upon checkout, yet the full price is listed on ebay sale history will create artificial floor on the price for those looking at price guides or just recently completed transactions. 

Offline BubbaJones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 08:23:24 AM »
Howdy Y'all.  It sure has been a long time.

For those interested in a low priced ANA 69/70/OMP. See below. Sale ends soon. Don't forget the 10off100 code!!

Only way to get the sale price is thru the link.  N66.  N29.  :w00t:   :w00t:

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/tags/secret-sale/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=low-ana-panda&utm_campaign=MME0626&ad=MME0626

Online ccl

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
It is invite only deal for previous MCM customers on ebay.  It is good for another 40 hours or so. 

Few days ago they had 50g silver at $495, $1000 discount to their normal ebay price, but the sold transaction price listed on ebay is $1495, this type of transaction where certain customers get a discount upon checkout, yet the full price is listed on ebay sale history will create artificial floor on the price for those looking at price guides or just recently completed transactions. 

We will remove this from CCL.

@BubbaJones, thanks for the link