Author Topic: New Panda Buyers Guide  (Read 5690 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
New Panda Buyers Guide
« on: October 03, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Panda Buyers Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »
I slept through 3 editions.  That was some party last night (I believe it was last night).

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »
There are actually six editions that have been published of the "Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide." The two public editions, a Chinese language edition published in China and – for the last three years – a private edition for the customers of GovMint.com. Before the end of the year there will be a new, revised public edition available. It will be a new smaller, more portable size like the Chinese version. It will also include stories and information that were not yet available when the the last GovMint.com edition went to press.

Does that help?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
Peter

I wish to reserve two copies of the new edition of your book in advance.  How much will it cost?  Where do I send my check?  I have found your book to be very, very information and extremely helpful as I build my small collection of modern Chinese coins and medals.

Mark Bonke

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »
Were there any factual differences btw the public editions and the 3 private additions?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »
Were there any factual differences btw the public editions and the 3 private additions?

Yes. In fact I looked at the GovMint edition yesternight. It has chapters covering up to 2016. Even the former chapters have some new photos. I didn't read through the text much to see if there was a substantial rewrite of the older chapters.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 11:53:13 AM »

Any updates are applied to each new edition. So none are exactly the same.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
Yes. In fact I looked at the GovMint edition yesternight. It has chapters covering up to 2016. Even the former chapters have some new photos. I didn't read through the text much to see if there was a substantial rewrite of the older chapters.

There are substantial rewrites and additions in the upcoming public edition.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »
Any updates are applied to each new edition. So none are exactly the same.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Ok I will say it.  I am kind of upset that myself nor probably other members of this all China coin forum were not made aware of the 3-5 editions.  Additionally as a subscriber to the pricepedia there was also no mention.  Frankly we have supported you and promoted your book to many others and I would have thought that if there was new factual information available you would have at least gave us the opportunity to purchase the new book or make us aware of its existence.  Unfortunately I don't buy anything from Govt.  Mint.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:15:56 PM »
Ok I will say it.  I am kind of upset that myself nor probably other members of this all China coin forum were not made aware of the 3-5 editions.  Additionally as a subscriber to the pricepedia there was also no mention.  Frankly we have supported you and promoted your book to many others and I would have thought that if there was new factual information available you would have at least gave us the opportunity to purchase the new book or make us aware of its existence.  Unfortunately I don't buy anything from Govt.  Mint.

I am very sorry that the GovMint.com editions were only available to their own customers. That was part of the arrangement. On the other hand, the people I rely on in the coin industry have told me that the extra demand created by these editions have helped support the entire panda markets for the last few years.

I hope you will find the third edition worth the wait. Once there is a firm shipping date it will be announced here on the Chinese Coin Forum.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »
Peter.....seriously, that is your response.   This forum and its members are a valuable resource regarding modern Chinese coins and to the coin community.  So much so that I believe information identified by forum members ended up in you second edition.  That same edition that we all thought was the most recent.  You could have had the decency and respect for CCF members to at least inform us of the other editions.  Especially since many members were asking about the next book.  Whereby your response was you were working on it....all along editions 3-5 were published.   

Thanks for all your support

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
Peter.....seriously, that is your response.   This forum and its members are a valuable resource regarding modern Chinese coins and to the coin community.  So much so that I believe information identified by forum members ended up in you second edition.  That same edition that we all thought was the most recent.  You could have had the decency and respect for CCF members to at least inform us of the other editions.  Especially since many members were asking about the next book.  Whereby your response was you were working on it....all along editions 3-5 were published.  

Thanks for all your support

The GovMint.com editions were not for sale to the public. It was not my prerogative to make an announcement about a book edition printed solely for GovMint.com customers.  

The next public edition of  "The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide" is about to go to the printer. It contains a significant amount of original information that has never been published before. Availability will be announced here on the Coin Forum as soon as there is a shipping date.

For the record, I greatly appreciate the support I have received from my many friends on this forum.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:15:31 PM »
I think it is great that a major US dealer wants to give a panda book to its customer even if it means I can't buy one.  The more new collectors created by any means is good for all of us.  

The main difference between govmint book and regular book is the ads, the govmint book doesn't have ads from other dealers and lists govmint as main seller of panda coins.  Also the information it contains about 2015-2016 really can't be that important as those are really just bullion coins for another decade or so.  For the record I have never seen the books, someone told me about them and those were the only differences that the customer noticed relative to the book we all have.  

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 12:28:36 AM »
I think it is great that a major US dealer wants to give a panda book to its customer even if it means I can't buy one.  The more new collectors created by any means is good for all of us. 

I agree. More collectors is better overall. Especially, if they can pay govmint premiums. I'm all for it! I'm also waiting for this book. I would like to purchase a couple of copies and give one away on my YT channel as a promotion.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 01:29:59 AM »
I believe we are all eagerly waiting for Mr. Peter Anthony's Book's new edition.

Many thanks for writing this book in the first place and keeping up with the updating and new editions.

It is clear that this book did a great deal to spread information on Chinese coins all over the globe.

It influenced my early collection pattern. I still refer to it!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!