Author Topic: Inspiration to Collect  (Read 1244 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Inspiration to Collect
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
Inspiration to Collect

How does one know what collect? What sources of information are out there?

I found Mr. Anthony's book on Panda coins to be very useful when I started collecting. I also drew quite a lot of inspiration from the NGC coin registry: http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?sets=world

I am not talking about how to make tons of money buying and selling coins. I am looking more at how new and the not so new self-taught collectors can identify coins and coin series that showcase important aspects of Chinese art, history, culture and technology. Important coins to have in one's collection or at least dream of having.

I am interested in members' views on the subject and suggestions.

Thanks.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Re: Inspiration to Collect
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
For me, the design in number 1 and then the market history, then the history itself, what does it represent (a change in history, a transition, a legacy of something). The market history is not to make money buying and selling but just to reinforce the idea I'm not buying the collectible premium and losing it as soon as I buy it. Now that I'm caught up, its hard to find something new. I like the idea of exclusivity coupled with a good design and low mintage.

Its such a personal question. This is a very difficult to articulate. I like the time themed rounds, but haven't purchased any. I think the coins design is the draw, so different designs are more appealing, which leads to research about the history as mentioned above. The value is how much that history appeals to us. There's an affinity bucket we all fall into and if enough of us fill a certain type of bucket, we end up competing with each other.

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »
Great topic and great response silverpv.  I would agree.  I love coins with history.  I love overlooked low population coins.  I don't like coins that everyone seeks to collect.  To me some people are simply paying for everyone's interest instead of their personal favorite.  Great topic

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
Pandas introduced me to Modern Chinese Coins. But philosophers,
strategists and music composers were an attraction once I got
exposure to the whole range of MCC.
Lao Zi and Chuang Zi of Taoism were good to see minted.
Socrates on a Chinese coin was unexpected but very welcome.
Sun Wu, or Sun Tzu, is important as "The Art of War" is
read by both businessmen and military.
Kublai Khan has a cool moustache.
But Genghis Khan, his grandfather, is top of the heap for lands
controlled, populations killed, and maintenance of power.
Tchaikovsky and Mozart are two of my favorite composers, not Chinese, but great.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:05:45 AM »
Pandas introduced me to Modern Chinese Coins. But philosophers,
strategists and music composers were an attraction once I got
exposure to the whole range of MCC.
Lao Zi and Chuang Zi of Taoism were good to see minted.
Socrates on a Chinese coin was unexpected but very welcome.
Sun Wu, or Sun Tzu, is important as "The Art of War" is
read by both businessmen and military.
Kublai Khan has a cool moustache.
But Genghis Khan, his grandfather, is top of the heap for lands
controlled, populations killed, and maintenance of power.
Tchaikovsky and Mozart are two of my favorite composers, not Chinese, but great.

I discovered these coins through postings in the various forums.

Forum discussions have been a great source of information on Chinese coins for me.

At times knowledge in this area is acquired piecemeal, slowly.

But there is always that nagging feeling; what else is out there waiting to be discovered?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline scanusa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:18 AM »
I got inspiration to collect Pandas specifically, because of the panda bear lol Being an animal lover, this is a must have coin series for me. I got started in early 2000s, with the pandas but I was not too familiar with them and I also got sidetracked.

So the original inspiration for these coins were the love of animals and these pandas are very nice and have gotten better over the years. I had no clue there were commemorative coins either with Pandas. Its kind of funny I get back to pandas just as it starts to grams instead of ounces lol.

Peter's book is GREAT. I recently bought a copy from Colin's shop and I like the book, am enjoying at looking at all the pandas over the years, quite a nice solid history. As I come back into the coin collecting hobby, the pandas are going to be a focus of my collecting and going back in time.

This forum is an inspiration in itself with all the info and knowledge!! I am so glad to be active again here, everyone is so helpful and great friendly people all around!