Author Topic: Garage Sale Sets Chinese Coins...  (Read 1035 times)

Offline t00nces2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Garage Sale Sets Chinese Coins...
« on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Hello. I could use a little help from someone in the know. I feel a little bad just dropping by for help but I am a member of a couple other MB's with 1,000's of posts. A member of the Kitco board suggested your board so here I am.

I picked up 24 coins I thought was silver at a garage sale for $5. I didn't do any test, I figured for five bucks I would roll the dice and I really didn't want to show my hand. Well, they are silver plated steel... The RE mag snaps to them hard. I see some on the bay and they are listed as CuNi. Are the coins minted by China CuNi and these are steel fakes? Do the coins pop to a magnet and nothing to see here, folks? Do I have something worth putting on the bay or should I post about the shred steel I picked up on the scrap metal forum?

Thanks guys

Online Deepwater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+10)
Re: Garage Sale Sets Chinese Coins...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
Those are fake coins and were made for tourist.

Offline t00nces2

• New
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:37:01 AM »
Thank you, I guess I will put them up for a shot ot two and then throw them in the shred bucket.

Offline Chinasmith

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:39:37 AM »
These are recently made medals -- there never were such coins. It is a set of the 10 emperors of the Ch'ing (Qing) dynasty. They are made of some base metal, probably steel with copper-nickel plating. The price was reasonable.