Author Topic: 1990 Hong Kong Scenery Flag & Emblem silver medals  (Read 2310 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
1990 Hong Kong Scenery Flag & Emblem silver medals
« on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
No photos but maybe someone can post NGC's photos.    I commented on this rare silver medal set earlier w/ no response....
Ebay 222154936907   OMP box/coa    COA 8,000 mint  Mr Ge 5,000 mint p. 245 & 246    First time i have seen it OMP w/ box/coa....hopefully ebay has not removed photos......
Looking at my notes;  NGC has two labels:
Hong Kong Scenery    Emblem 3822552-011   Flag 3822552-012    this maybe correct label.....
Special Admin Region  HK Ariel View 2779056-013    HK Bay View  3896496-006
NGC total pop is very low for both.......
The largest dealer in China says he has seen maybe 10 sets in the last 20 yrs.    I chatted w/ a few dealers in China, Singapore, HK, etc and they say very rare set.    A CCF member has targeted this set and he has seen just a few sets but no one would sell him one on his trips overseas.....
1990 was after 1989 Tiananmen Square incident so very poor sales year.   Most comments from Asia said they were probably melted.    Does anyone have any information on this silver medal set?    Has anyone seen this set?   Please post any info or photos......this set may have potential.....

( Also, you know i am a Feng Yunming fan as he is the Grandfather of medals.   There are no books/publications on his medal sets that i know of.    See Fwangs post/blog  "Feng Yunming & Semi Official medals...."     There are some dealers/collectors in China that are researching his medal sets.    A well researched article on Feng's contribution could change the market on his medal sets. )

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: 1990 Hong Kong Scenery Flag & Emblem silver medals
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »
Here are the ebay photos and thanks for them.......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »
Huang Ruiyong's medal star list gives this set 3 stars Politics.      There is a link w/ more information on LBC.   Yes, the dreaded badon site.     Basically the COA mentions China Mint Company (CMC) & China Gold Coin Incorporated (CGCI founded in 1987).    CMC was predecessor of CGCI.    Special Admin Region (SAR) was created in 1982.    These medals have flag of Hong Kong SAR, not of Hong Kong UK.     Flag was created in early 1990.   This set Flag & Emblem is oldest commemoratives related to return of Hong Kong.....The 1990 date looks to be accurate.....
Lets set our emotions aside and look at the facts.     Is this set of value?...........I understand there are many unknown medal sets but hopefully this one has some significance.    What do you think?.......................................on to the next medal.....

Offline dennisma77

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 04:56:59 PM »
I have a few sets of these.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
There are a few collectors looking for these medals and they have contacted dealers but cannot find them.    Have you considered listing them on ebay?    Maybe Xu Hong in China would buy a set.    One member has a set sent in for grading and may list on ebay, maybe next month?     Now that they have some relevance, they may someday become popular.    Most say they were considered junk medals and melted....... Since you own them that makes 4 members that own a set or individual medal.     Maybe 4 sets that i know of not counting yours....... Wonder what price they will bid for on ebay.......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »
A 1990 set is for sale on ebay 122095503484......

Offline dennisma77

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
$500/set, wow!

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
It was tough to tell from the pictures but they looked there might be some WSOD present. The statement by the seller ( what you see is what you get, please check pictures before bidding ) always makes me cautious when buying on line from pictures only.

Russ

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
I chatted w/ a few collectors and dealers.   The price of $511 was cheap.    (wish i could have bought it)     This medal set is being targeted by a few dealers in China and collectors in the US that i know of.      Expect more demand and higher prices........

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
It was tough to tell from the pictures but they looked there might be some WSOD present. The statement by the seller ( what you see is what you get, please check pictures before bidding ) always makes me cautious when buying on line from pictures only.

Russ

Yep. Same here. I usually back away from the deal because I can never be sure that I have seen all there is to see on the coin(s) in question.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline dennisma77

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
this is one of the medal I found :)
I guess the one ebay was not in OMP that's why.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
Now that this set has significance and is very rare, the condition/possible grade means less as usual.     At some point, any condition will sell to the market but we are not there yet.   Dealers in China think highly of this medal set as they have emailed me........Your medal is in great condition....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
DealPanda offered this PF 68 set on ebay for $525.   Ebay 222231187876       Notice the mislabel as it says Special Admin Region.    I think it should say Hong Kong Scenery.   NGC has been contacted and they will correct the issue.    It sold in less than 24 hrs, maybe 12 hrs.    I emailed the interested dealers in China and received emails from collectors in the US.    Not sure who bought it, but from the messages they plan to buy and hold.    Due to rarity it could be the next MCC to reach the $5,000 price level in the near future.    None of the interested parties argued w/ me on that price.     Again 1989 was Tinanmen Square so 1990 was also a very poor sales year.    This is a newly discovered and soon to be popular set especially in China..........there are many more undiscovered medals that have relevance so there is still many opportunities.......