Author Topic: Help identify these China notes in "holder" please!  (Read 4961 times)

Offline dianjin92

• Trade Count: (0)
Help identify these China notes in "holder" please!
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »
[ WARNING: heavy image load below my post, I AM SO SORRY  :( ]

Hi guys! firstly, I apologize if i posted in the wrong forum section! I'm very new here :P

anyways,

I have in my possession booklets of old China banknotes in this special notes "holder" created just for it.

There was another thread in regards to the coin version on this forum, link can be seen here below:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=8795.0

I'm just wondering if anyone here have seen/know what this is and the year created ? These are the notes version.. :confused1:

I have 2 types with me, one of the holder's cover is made of leather and the other is made of a cloth like material with oriental design..

Both of the holder consist of same things ( denominations, manufacturer & explanation ).

Any replies / help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and have a great day ahead!! :D

here are the links to the album:

imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/BjU8F

or

Photobucket:
http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/ohdianjin/library/China%20notes%20holder2

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Help identify these China notes in "holder" please!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

This is third series banknote. These folders were sold at Friendship store inside China to earn foreign exchange in 1980-1990. The folders did not cover complete third series (total 24 notes).  Nevertheless, the notes cover all denominations and are in excellent UNC condition with the current value about $250-350, depending on the type of watermark on your notes. 1960 2 Yuan is the key note in your set with the current value about $150-$220.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

This is third series banknote. These folders were sold at Friendship store inside China to earn foreign exchange in 1980-1990. The folders did not cover complete third series (total 24 notes).  Nevertheless, the notes cover all denominations and are in excellent UNC condition with the current value about $250-350, depending on the type of watermark on your notes. 1960 2 Yuan is the key note in your set with the current value about $150-$220.

Just want to make correction of the current value of these two folders. Upon further examination, the current value of each folder will be estimated to be about $800-1000 range, assuming both folders have the identical banknotes. Three 1953 fen notes have 3 Roman and 7 serial #. They are rare. The common fen notes have only two or three Roman #/without serial #, with a valuation about $1. The 5 fen note will be about $250 and 2 and 1 fen will be about $40/each. In addition, 1 and 2 Jiao also appear to be the relative rare version. All serial # contain many 6, 8 and 9. Those serial # definitely can fetch extra premium.

Offline dianjin92

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »
Just want to make correction of the current value of these two folders. Upon further examination, the current value of each folder will be estimated to be about $800-1000 range, assuming both folders have the identical banknotes. Three 1953 fen notes have 3 Roman and 7 serial #. They are rare. The common fen notes have only two or three Roman #/without serial #, with a valuation about $1. The 5 fen note will be about $250 and 2 and 1 fen will be about $40/each. In addition, 1 and 2 Jiao also appear to be the relative rare version. All serial # contain many 6, 8 and 9. Those serial # definitely can fetch extra premium.

Hi sir! Thanks so so much for your reply! I'm so glad I'm seeing all these because I actually thought they were worthless :(

Anyway! Why do you say that the 1 and 2 Jiao are the relative rare version? Any specific meaning/info on this?

And also, why are numerals 6, 8 and 9 able to fetch higher premium ? Are there any reasons behind this? Are they highly favourable in China or highly favourable because they are ON CHINA BANKNOTES?

Once again, thank you so so much for your response , really appreciate it!!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
Hi sir! Thanks so so much for your reply! I'm so glad I'm seeing all these because I actually thought they were worthless :(

Anyway! Why do you say that the 1 and 2 Jiao are the relative rare version? Any specific meaning/info on this?

And also, why are numerals 6, 8 and 9 able to fetch higher premium ? Are there any reasons behind this? Are they highly favourable in China or highly favourable because they are ON CHINA BANKNOTES?

Once again, thank you so so much for your response , really appreciate it!!

There are eight versions of 1 Jiao and three versions of 2 Jiao. The serial # in your notes are in red color, which is relatively expensive version vs. blue serial #.

Number 6, 8 and 9 are considered as lucky numbers by Chinese. They are related to happiness, prosperity and longevity.

Offline dianjin92

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:32:42 AM »
There are eight versions of 1 Jiao and three versions of 2 Jiao. The serial # in your notes are in red color, which is relatively expensive version vs. blue serial #.

Number 6, 8 and 9 are considered as lucky numbers by Chinese. They are related to happiness, prosperity and longevity.

Thanks for the response once again poconopenn! So the other eight versions of the 1 jiao are in other colors? or there only exists red and blue? Do you have any useful links about these in english i can read them up? thanks!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »
There are different watermarks and non-watermark versions. Serial # has two colors (red and blue) only.

Here is the link inside China for the same folders sold last month for RMB 7,600 (US$1,165). The banknotes in those sets have the same first 3 serial # as yours, suggesting they were packed at the same time as yours.

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=84068&fpage=3

The best available English reference book is Krause’s Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, which can be found in most local public library.

Offline dianjin92

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
There are different watermarks and non-watermark versions. Serial # has two colors (red and blue) only.

Here is the link inside China for the same folders sold last month for RMB 7,600 (US$1,165). The banknotes in those sets have the same first 3 serial # as yours, suggesting they were packed at the same time as yours.

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=84068&fpage=3

The best available English reference book is Krause’s Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, which can be found in most local public library.

OMG thank you so much poconopenn!!! you are a true china banknotes / coins expert!! can i vote you to be a moderator on this forum ? haha!

THANKS ALOT MAN!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
Those notes in your folders are in excellent condition. If you certify those notes, IMO, they can be 67 material. This may double your money.

Offline dianjin92

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Those notes in your folders are in excellent condition. If you certify those notes, IMO, they can be 67 material. This may double your money.

But grading it means needing to tear the plastic holder open to retrieve the notes thus destroying the originality..that's pretty bad right?

The notes are sealed in the plastic holder compartment and there are no way I can retrieve it without cutting the plastic..

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:23 PM »
You do not have to grade those notes now. When you are ready to sell, you can submit the folder to the grading company and ask grading company to remove the notes from the plastic compartment and ship back the folder with the graded notes. You can sell the graded notes together with the original folder.

Here are the links for graded fen notes, similar to yours.

http://shop.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=240&Id=327706 (seller has 10 consecutive # 67 5 fen notes and asks for RMB 27,600 ($4,240))

http://shop.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=240&Id=327705 (Seller has 10 consecutive # 66/67 2 fen notes and asks for RMB 4,000 ($610)

http://shop.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=240&Id=327704  (Seller has 10 consecutive # 67 1 fen notes and ask for RMB 6,900 ($1,050))