Author Topic: Chongqing Copper Bureau 1980's Brass Panda Medal  (Read 2016 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Chongqing Copper Bureau 1980's Brass Panda Medal
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
Chongqing Copper Bureau “1980’s” Brass Medal

I recently picked up the panda medal shown below as evidence of mintages that preceded the first official Chinese panda coin (medal) of 1982 and/or ran concurrently with them.

Communication with the seller elicited more information. It was produced by the Chongqing Copper Bureau in the Chongqing City. He gave me permission to post this edited response.

“This isn't official mint,I know it struck by Chongqing copper Bureau just because my friend living in the city of Chongqing,and he bought it from Chongqing copper Bureau in about 1990,now Chongqing copper Bureau had changed its name for Chongqing Changjiang electrical appliances Group Co., Ltd.but usually we still call it Chongqing copper Bureau,because in the Qing Dynasty and Republic of China before the year of 1930,it was a official mint,it struck copper and silver dollar for the goverment,Chongqing copper Bureau was famous at that time,but after 1949,it wasn't an official mint,and this panda was struck in the 1980's,and so far there is no any record info about it,so I am afraid it is very difficult to slab it by NGC or PCGS.It is very rare,in the past five years,I only see total three sets appeared in China.”

I will appreciate further information on this medal and mint. Thanks.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Chongqing Copper Bureau 1980's Brass Panda Medal
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
I guess you got it from ggoodluck. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I don't believe you can get more info than that as he is pretty well informed.

The official China Mint pandas were not the first panda images on coins or medals. Feng Yunming designed panda medals in the late 1970's.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »
I guess you got it from ggoodluck. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I don't believe you can get more info than that as he is pretty well informed.

The official China Mint pandas were not the first panda images on coins or medals. Feng Yunming designed panda medals in the late 1970's.

Yes. I got it from ggoodluck.

Does anyone have images of pre-1982 Panda coins or medals? Please post. Thanks.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:47 PM »
I believe that the Chinese name of Chongqing Copper Bureau is 重庆铜元局 (Chongqing Copper Coin Mint). According to the news article below, this Mint was founded in 1905 and started to produce copper coins in 1913. This Mint had produced many circulated coins (Fen coins) between 1982 and 1991 and stopped its operation after 1991.

http://mcq.people.com.cn/m/cq/news.cqr300?Num=7576172

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 10:28:06 PM »
I believe that the Chinese name of Chongqing Copper Bureau is 重庆铜元局 (Chongqing Copper Coin Mint). According to the news article below, this Mint was founded in 1905 and started to produce copper coins in 1913. This Mint had produced many circulated coins (Fen coins) between 1982 and 1991 and stopped its operation after 1991.

http://mcq.people.com.cn/m/cq/news.cqr300?Num=7576172

Thanks for the URL. I used Google translate to read the article. Quite a lot of history! It's beginning to look like China had and probably still has many "quasi official mints" in addition to the more popular ones we hear of now (Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen Guobao and Nanjing).

Offline Chinasmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:29:55 AM »
All the panda "coins" were struck at the Shanghai, Shenyang and Shenzhen mints, from 1982 onward. The low quality of this piece indicates it was made somewhere else. The information provided about the Chongqing (old spelling Chungking) copper bureau is probably correct, but I am uncertain whether this piece was made before or after the panda gold coins. I suspect it was made some time after 1982 to take advantage of the gold coins success, but that is only an opinion. I have never seen this piece before, so it probably is rare.