Author Topic: Post your newest modern Chinese coin  (Read 367770 times)

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Post your newest modern Chinese coin
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
Thank you very much guys for your kind words. And now i would like to share with you  the following :-

REV : TWO FLOATING DRAGONS  1oz. 1988, (GRADED BY NGC PF69)
Subject : Year Of The Dragon, Obv : Temple of Heaven, KM #196, 100 Yuan, 31.132gm, 1oz. 0.9990, Gold 0.9999oz. AGW, Series : 1988 Lunar Year
Proof Mintage : 10,000.

And follow by my Colorized golds collection in a show case.

Happy Viewing !

Andrew

Offline DiggingNorway

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Gold Source
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
Here are my newest!
I dont know much about them other than they are called outstanding historical figures and I thought they were so awsome that I could not resist to pick up everyone the coinshop had at 30 USD each...

Would love to find a comprehensive guide/collection overview of them though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RafPV2H7JKY

I love them!

DiggingNorway

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
Hey DiggingNorway, I watch your videos. Chinese coins are my new addiction (it was silver before). $30 for those coins are a STEAL :) You can sell them for double on ebay if you wanted to. I am sure you won't. Enjoy them and keep up the good work with your vids.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Hi  :001_smile:
Thank you for your kind words.
I actually added to the collection today.
I have two series ( I have found at)
The historical figueres series
The Traditional Culture Series

I have now completed 1995 Culture series (5 coins silver 5 yuan)
(thats the ones with the great wall)
I have three 1997, so I lack two.
The series was only made in 1995 and 1997, so 10 coins all together.

The historical figueres series is much bigger, 10 years with 4 coins each year. I did add s few today as well.

Alltogether the latest coins increased the average (had to buy from a dealer I hate.. too expensive and very little info on their web-page so basically you have to buy "blind"...) My average for this series is now is 36 USD...

The coins are very nice :) I am not sure if they sell for that much on ebay though... I see some of them are priced over 100USD but they dont move.. some do, but there are great spreads... I dont care really... the coins are very very nice, much more exciting details than the pandas...

best of luck to you in your collecting :)

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
I think you are "ahead" of the market right now. That is why you are getting them so cheap. Most Chinese coin buyers are probably so focused on the hot and popular chinese coins (pandas,dragons,horses,..etc). Those hot coins have a much wider appeal. As the market matures, people will start looking for other series to collect. I think the 1997 series has 35,000 mintage and the 1995 20,000 mintage. These are GREAT prices you are paying.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
shhhhh dont tell anyone :w00t:
the historical figuere series has 8000 and even claims of around 5500 mintage certain years ;)

BUT: ofcourse I am looking to sell in the chjinese market in 20 years or so, purely based on demographics, BUT: Noone knows the future preferences of the collectors market in China... I certainly do not. The stage is set for a huge collectors market in China in the long run... huge. After the population has covered their basic needs, they will start to collect painting, arts, stamps, coins, what ever.. but this is a "tertiary" demand, first we will have to see 200 million more being lifted up from industrial working class to middle class and uppermiddle class. Then its very simple mathematics. However, some of this effect is already priced in to coins..

I read some very very msart words here on the forum, I dont remeber who said it, but I belive it is crucial: The profit in numismatics is not done when you sell a coin, its done when you buy one.
Thus: as I say in my videos (even though I am drunk in half of them) my strategy is to SAVE (i.e. postpone consumption) have liquidity and wait for the offers. (OK, the last increase did not follow that strategy, but I got some key dates with low mintage and my average is still good). In Norway, I can play the assymetric information game, not much interest in chinese coins here and dealers dont know their value. As a result some dealers price too low, some too high.

Its friday! Hope you are having a beer too :) I have spent two days in an extremely booring work shop with economic historians about financial crises and been presented articled for a book... gosh these guys are idiots. It was so booring that after one presenter (from the US ) was finished I took the word and showed them a chineese silver coin and basically told them that the current bubble is in currencuies...(they hadent thought about it!!) they were still arguing about how to define a "financial crises" that could fit to their model and timeseries... they laughed at me... and that gave me great joy! you might say that a positive externality added to the utility I got from picking up the coins at the post office this morning...

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
Interesting; these are really good mintages. You should post more pics or make another video about them. In the US, you can still buy Chinese coins because the dealers don't understand them yet. The interest in Chinese coins made me more interested in the Chinese culture. That is a culture with a lot of depth and history. I don't drink;I am enjoying my healthy GREEn smoothie full of vegetables :O Enjoy your weekend.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
beer is a crucial part of European Culture and History (for at least 1000 years, not comparable to the US society)one last interesting point: at ny business school we have many chinese young aspiring students from affluent homes. One girl (which saw the coins) knew the history by heart (all the figueres on the coins; she could tell me the story and biography about the person on them) HOWEVER: she had never ever seen the coins before, she didnt even know they excisted! And this girl is an active equity-speculator!

My bet is that affluent future chinese (with strong bounds to a country woth a history dating back thouands of years) will appriciate these rare coins in the future.

I dont want to bore my subcribers with more coin-movies.... my channels is about metal detecting and Scandinavian history... have a nice week-end :)

Offline badon

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
I read some very very msart words here on the forum, I dont remeber who said it, but I belive it is crucial: The profit in numismatics is not done when you sell a coin, its done when you buy one.

That might have been me. I say "You make money when you buy, not when you sell", or something like that.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
I think its very good advice. the numismatic dealers have a huge spred between buy and sell, at the same time they have alot of capital locked into working capital... so I always bargain. Always.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
Well,post pics here then if you don't want to post them on youtube. I don't know if you realized this yet, but badon is THE authority on Chinese coins. I learned TONS from him in the past few days. 

Offline badon

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
Well,post pics here then if you don't want to post them on youtube. I don't know if you realized this yet, but badon is THE authority on Chinese coins. I learned TONS from him in the past few days. 

I'm definitely the most talkative one, but there are others! This forum is jam-packed with Chinese coin experts in all different areas and specialties. I focus on the investing side of things. Still, thanks for the compliment :)

Offline badon

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
Somebody just made a ton of money on Peter's shared expertise, for example:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2353.msg8290#msg8290

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
my channel is a metal detecting channel, so this clip is "hidden", but I post it here to show the latest additions to the 5 yuan silver series..

cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVtXfuUcBo

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »
I just finished watching it. Thanks for sharing all that info. I bookmarked those sites. If you come across any sites that sell chinese coins (other than ebay), let me know. Don't worry so much whether people are interested or not in what you have to talk about. You are sharing your passions and people will watch.