Author Topic: Post your newest modern Chinese coin  (Read 382985 times)

Offline Polkrich

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Post your newest modern Chinese coin
« Reply #1380 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
Proud to have this coin series. Worlds famous cultural figures, 4th. 1994, very rare

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #1381 on: October 18, 2017, 07:16:24 PM »
I just splurged a bit.  Using the Best Offer, and taking advantage of 8% eBay bucks, I got this 1983 G1/4 NGC MS70 for net $856.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/263266016440

It is true that the 1983 is not a rare coin, but I have a fondness for the MS70 of these 1980s coins that have been handled for 30+ years in hardening PVC pouches that degrade condition.  It is a pop 8 of 701.  About 1% or so grade MS70.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #1382 on: October 19, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »
I got offer from ebay 8% on buys and sells, so I can sell on ebay for the same prices as website for the next 10 days. Ebay is great.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #1383 on: October 19, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Absolutely Unbelievable:)     NGCcoin.com/Hercules

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #1384 on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
Looks like a lot of coins weren't conserved, unless the pics are of the coins before conservation.  Amazing collection.  12 10x10 safe deposit boxes, that is $1000-$1500/year in storage fees.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #1385 on: October 21, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »
I just splurged a bit.  Using the Best Offer, and taking advantage of 8% eBay bucks, I got this 1983 G1/4 NGC MS70 for net $856.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/263266016440

It is true that the 1983 is not a rare coin, but I have a fondness for the MS70 of these 1980s coins that have been handled for 30+ years in hardening PVC pouches that degrade condition.  It is a pop 8 of 701.  About 1% or so grade MS70.

Upon receiving the coin, I am disappointed to see that the coin has a red spot on the both the back and the front.  This was not mentioned in the description (and not visible when I checked the NGC archive photos for the cert #), but I can now see one of the red spots when I look at the fourth photo on ebay.  I guess I've done too many deals with folks who would never think of selling an MS70 that has multiple red spots without very clear disclosure, that I've did not carefully look at all of the photos.  My mistake, and perhaps a good reminder for other forum members to carefully check photos and assume nothing.

Moderate good news.  When I pointed out the condition issues, the seller said he would accept a return or would compensate for NCS (he said $50) to address the red spots.

I am torn.  I don't see a 1983 G1/4 MS70 for sale that frequently, so I'm tempted to keep it and to send it to be conserved (a hassle), but I don't know if NGC will conserve an MS70 with red spots and guarantee that it won't be downgraded to an MS69.  Anyone have some experience with this?  I'm trying to weight the pros and cons.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #1386 on: October 21, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
At one point, I sold an MS70 coin to a friend of mine who is the tenth ounce collector and it had a red spot. Because of the lighting in the room I was viewing the coin in, I could not see the red spot, but upon receipt of the coin in different lighting conditions he was able to see something that he didn't like. Here is what he wrote to me:

"They didn't take it off, still there.. they said it was fine and I didn't get a chance to send it back in. I sent it for grading check."

"NGC said it was still ms70... and didn't do anything with it and sent it back"

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #1387 on: October 21, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
Upon receiving the coin, I am disappointed to see that the coin has a red spot on the both the back and the front.  This was not mentioned in the description (and not visible when I checked the NGC archive photos for the cert #), but I can now see one of the red spots when I look at the fourth photo on ebay.  I guess I've done too many deals with folks who would never think of selling an MS70 that has multiple red spots without very clear disclosure, that I've did not carefully look at all of the photos.  My mistake, and perhaps a good reminder for other forum members to carefully check photos and assume nothing.

Moderate good news.  When I pointed out the condition issues, the seller said he would accept a return or would compensate for NCS (he said $50) to address the red spots.

I am torn.  I don't see a 1983 G1/4 MS70 for sale that frequently, so I'm tempted to keep it and to send it to be conserved (a hassle), but I don't know if NGC will conserve an MS70 with red spots and guarantee that it won't be downgraded to an MS69.  Anyone have some experience with this?  I'm trying to weight the pros and cons.

Once NCS conserves it all bets are off. You probably will not get less than MS69 but NGC can be finicky with their MS70 grade allocation. Its going to be a crapshoot. My opinion would be to send it back to the seller. It is possible the seller knew of the red spots. The seller can send it to NCS and resell to you if it comes back MS70!!!!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #1388 on: October 21, 2017, 03:44:21 PM »
IF it is rare then why not keep it?     Freckles are not that bad (or red spots)........   I refuse to buy a microscope as it will drive me crazy looking at the imperfections so my mag/glass/w light is all i got......

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #1389 on: October 21, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
IF it is rare then why not keep it?     Freckles are not that bad (or red spots)........   I refuse to buy a microscope as it will drive me crazy looking at the imperfections so my mag/glass/w light is all i got......

Problem is that few will buy a "freckled" MS70 at the price they would pay for a non-freckled MS70.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #1390 on: October 21, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
Oops, i forgot to mention.   Arif has warned us that supply is very small.    As the Petro Yuan makes the news, it is a matter of time for more buyers to enter into this market further reducing supply.     A few years ago when the market was hot, dealers like Rare Coin Collectors and another got inventory wiped out overnight.     RCC has not recovered as they have few Chinese listings since the big buy.       As supply dwindles then a freckle 70 will be OK.      I am thinking ahead of the market again.......

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #1391 on: October 21, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
I would take the sellers offer $50 and keep the coin. If the NGC graders are of sound mind at the time you submit it, they will grade it at 70 again after it goes through NCS. And isn't there some sort of guarantee against a grade dropping?

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #1392 on: October 22, 2017, 12:12:44 AM »
A MS70 coin with red spot is will be very hard to sell and it may even get worse. 

Good chance NGC wont downgrade it, but no guarantee they will remove the red spot either if they think there is chance of down grade if they conserve it. 

I would return it and let the seller get it conserved and then sell it to you.

Offline bullionblog.eu

« Reply #1393 on: October 22, 2017, 06:02:55 AM »
Some recent additions to my stack:

2017 - CHINA - 40mm - SINO-GERMAN FRIENDSHIP PANDA - HIGH RELIEF - BRASS - PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
2017 - CHINA 1oz - SINO-GERMAN FRIENDSHIP PANDA - HIGH RELIEF - SILVER - PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
2016 - CHINA 45mm - PANDA - TEMPLE OF HEAVEN PANDA - BR OBV-CU REV - BI-MET - PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
2016Y - CHINA - 1oz - VALENTINE BAMBOO PANDA - PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
2015 - CHINA - 2oz - MACAU SHOW OFFICIAL PANDA ISSUE #1500 - SILVER - PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
1989Y - CHINA - 1oz - HONG KONG EXPOSITION OFFICIAL PANDA ISSUE - PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO

Offline Polkrich

« Reply #1394 on: November 01, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
45th chinese aviation industry 1996, 20k mintage, original sealed
100th university of Tsinghua