Author Topic: Post your newest modern Chinese coin  (Read 367772 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Post your newest modern Chinese coin
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:02:44 AM »
Everybody likes eye candy. Show us the most recent addition to your coin collection!

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Post your newest modern Chinese coin
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline badon

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
I bought it at PandaAmerica on Thursday. They received 100 out of the 300 they had ordered. The price was a reasonable $99.99.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:08:40 PM »
Doesn't anyone else get new coins? Anywhere, here is a Panda that was a challenge to find, for me at least. The fun in collecting isn't necessarily to own the most expensive coin (although that's nice too!) but to locate the scarce ones. Stats: 10 Yuan 1 oz. silver Panda, Mintage 20,000, 20th Anniversary and Listing Of China CITIC Bank.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline badon

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »
Locating the scarce coins takes some time. Having the cash ready to go at the moment when a coin you want appears takes even longer! Here's today's prize:

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:27 AM »
This coin is cool because the GOLD is dirty! No lie, check it out - Anything not yellow is not gold. Sometimes you get copper spots, and sometimes you get chunks of silver, steel, lead, ham and eggs, etc in your precious gold coins. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, I need to get a better camera. You can see the gray color just fine though.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 03:55:46 AM »
For me, the impurities create an effect that resembles snow falling around the tiger. What a beautiful coin and design.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »
Yeah, it is gorgeous. I have never seen a gold coin - or any coin - with solid impurities in it. The closest thing to it I've seen are fairly common "lamination" errors, where a layer of dirt gets rolled into the metal, and later the layer prevents bonding of the metal on both sides, so they separate and peel away like lamination on a piece of paper.

We all know about copper spots and things like that, but those are very diffuse, blended, impurities that you can't see until they start to develop a patina. In this case, these are solid chunks of something. They look to me like iron filings, but I suppose they could be almost anything. They're not struck into the coin, like a "lint mark" would be, because they have a raised burr around them.

The burr looks strange though, and I really think that a very thin layer of gold that was on top of the non-gold inclusion was lifted away from the coin in the same style as a lamination error while the die retracted. That exposed the impurity, and left a slight burr to confuse people who haven't seen it before. This coin grades PF70, so the NGC graders must have seen this before, and correctly granted a high grade. I have a metalworking background, so with some thought, I was able to figure out what these tiny grey spots were.

Lint marks never have a burr, because the pressure of the die keeps them down. All very fascinating.

Offline larrydreher

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
That coin seems very difficult to find.  I have one on the way from China.  Funny thing is that NGC didn't even have it in the appropriate registry set.  Last time I looked only two had been graded.  They told me they would be adding it to the registry soon.

I can't make sense out of what makes one commemorative Panda more difficult to find than another.  The mintage is certainly no indication.

Doesn't anyone else get new coins? Anywhere, here is a Panda that was a challenge to find, for me at least. The fun in collecting isn't necessarily to own the most expensive coin (although that's nice too!) but to locate the scarce ones. Stats: 10 Yuan 1 oz. silver Panda, Mintage 20,000, 20th Anniversary and Listing Of China CITIC Bank.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
I can't make sense out of what makes one commemorative Panda more difficult to find than another.  The mintage is certainly no indication.

I get the impression that the most action is going on in the "new" coin market. With over 3000 years of history, the Chinese people may not be as fascinated with old stuff like we Westerners are. I suppose it's an extreme version of the same phenomenon we see with ancient coins in Europe versus America. American are unfamiliar with them, and expect them to be museum pieces, whereas Europeans dig them up on a daily basis.

Chinese people seem to see greatness in their present and future, rather than their past, which I suppose makes sense considering where China stands now in comparison to their recent past. It seems the average Chinese coin buyer does not want a memento from 1985 so much as one from 2011!

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »
That coin seems very difficult to find.  I have one on the way from China.  Funny thing is that NGC didn't even have it in the appropriate registry set.  Last time I looked only two had been graded.  They told me they would be adding it to the registry soon.

It seems like these are either extraordinarily tightly held, there are bags of them still resting in a vault somewhere, or only a fraction of the authorized mintage was actually struck.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline larrydreher

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »
The story I heard is that most of the coins were distrbuted to bank employees which would make them "tightly held" I guess.  The average employee might just throw them in a drawer and forget about them.  I assume there is some loyalty to the company too and dumping a company gift on the secondary market might be frowned upon.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
The story I heard is that most of the coins were distrbuted to bank employees which would make them "tightly held" I guess.  The average employee might just throw them in a drawer and forget about them.  I assume there is some loyalty to the company too and dumping a company gift on the secondary market might be frowned upon.

I heard that, too. However it's been three years since issuance and the coins are worth quite a bit of money — a month of wages for many probably. It seems improbable that only a couple of dozen employees, or ex-employees, out of 20,000 would have converted these into cash by now. It also is a bit peculiar that CITIC employees are so much more retentive of their gifts than employees at other banks that have had Pandas minted for them.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline larrydreher

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
I agree with all those thoughts.  That's what makes collecting these "event commemoratives" that much more interesting.  I have a feeling some with high values today now will settle down eventually.  I hate paying what I did for that coin but since I'm in it for collecting, I don't mind if a pay a little too much for a couple coins that complete my collection.

The other thing about the CITC coin is that only two have been graded and they both recieved grades lower than 68 which is unusual for recent pandas.  Does that mean that the bank employees who sell them play with them a bit first? :confused1:

Are you planning to get yours graded peter?

Offline shadowninja

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
Here is my newest coin:

Details:

1 Kilo
Silver Proof
Mintage: 3800

Obverse:

Reverse:

Offline badon

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
Nice, a 2010! Congratulations, that's a rarity. I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! What a nice way to start!

Offline shadowninja

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
Nice, a 2010! Congratulations, that's a rarity. I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! What a nice way to start!

Yeah haha, there are only a handful in the US too! Thanks!

Offline badon

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
Yeah, we have been talking for some time on this forum about how hard the new coins are to get. Many of them are more valuable than the much rarer older coins. Here's another kilo coin topic:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1158.0

Offline shadowninja

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
Yeah, that's true. Since I bought this coin, the approx. value has gone to $7600.

Offline badon

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
Sounds like you made a good investment. What did it cost you?

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
I agree with all those thoughts.  That's what makes collecting these "event commemoratives" that much more interesting.  I have a feeling some with high values today now will settle down eventually.  I hate paying what I did for that coin but since I'm in it for collecting, I don't mind if a pay a little too much for a couple coins that complete my collection.

The other thing about the CITC coin is that only two have been graded and they both recieved grades lower than 68 which is unusual for recent pandas.  Does that mean that the bank employees who sell them play with them a bit first? :confused1:

Are you planning to get yours graded peter?

Probably but there's no time frame for doing it (grading). The coin I have is in excellent condition but the design has very shallow relief so the coin looks a little flat. The fields are highly polished, though, so it's a glittery thing in spite of the strange quality of the design or strike. Does yours have the box and COA? I almost bought another one that came with those but the seller reneged and returned my payment. He claimed he was robbed, but I suspect he discovered that his price was too low.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline shadowninja

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Sounds like you made a good investment. What did it cost you?

It cost me around $4800 3 weeks ago.

Offline badon

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 02:01:44 AM »
For me, the impurities create an effect that resembles snow falling around the tiger. What a beautiful coin and design.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

I made some more photos of this coin that look a lot better. I put my camera on a tripod and it makes much better photos now! You can see the gray impurities much more clearly. They look like a shred of steel flung off from a grinder. I know because I once had a piece like that lodged in my eye in an industrial accident (I fully recovered in about a week). The bits are usually elongated and look "torn" at one end, and pointed at the other...or it could be a piece of moon rock for all I know.

I also took some pictures of the one post-minting blemish I could find. It's on the burr at the rim, but it's not deep enough to extend beyond the burr into the coin-proper. I suspect that might be why the coin was granted a PF 70 designation by NGC, despite what looks like a nick on the rim. The mark is so small that you can only see it with your own eyes if you can get light to reflect off of it. Otherwise, it just blends in with all the usual irregularities of the rim burr.

I am SO SURPRISED at how good of macro photos my cheap Canon SD940 can make. I can see this rim ding in the photos even better than I can see it with any of my 5X, 10X, or even 20X loupes. It's pretty clear in the photos. The camera resolution is almost exactly the same as the view through my 20X loupe, but vastly better in quality. Next time I want a good view of a detail on a coin, I'm just going to take a photo of it instead of fussing with the finicky high power loupe.

See also my postings about loupes for coins, and cameras for coin photos.

Offline larrydreher

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
"Does yours have the box and COA?"

It should.  I guess I'll find out when I open my box from China.

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »
Per Qwasty's request, continuation from the thread below:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1185.0

Shipping these five coins off to NCS and NGC on Monday.

1 of 5:

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:01 PM »
2 of 5:

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
3 of 5:

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »
4 of 5:

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
5 of 5:

Offline badon

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 02:49:05 AM »
Wow, what great looking coins!

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
I bought it at PandaAmerica on Thursday. They received 100 out of the 300 they had ordered. The price was a reasonable $99.99.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

FYI, they've still got a few of these, currently for $109. I just ordered one.

Offline ?

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
I'd like to add 2 coins to this collection. One is indeed my most recent but it's a medal. The other one stays longer with me but for sure one of the most beautiful coins of my collection and my lacking capabilites as a photographer do not give justice to the beauty of this coin.

greetz anwir

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
I am a big fan of asian modern coins :001_tt1:, who have been able to acquire chinese modern coins from time to time.

For this week, my top acquisition is the attached 8 gram gold 1983 lunar year of pig again after awaiting 2 years since I had sold the complete lunar 8 gram gold set. I really love it to be with me in Bangkok, Thailand. :001_wub:

Happycoins
The coins which make us happy       

Offline badon

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »
If I remember correctly, the pig is the key to the series, and one of the hardest of all modern coins to find. Congratulations on obtaining 2 of them in your lifetime!

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »
Wow! if the pig is that hard, I will try to get the 3rd one here in Bangkok. :lol:

By the way, the attached silver lunar year of pig also just came along yesterday.

Offline badon

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
I tried to find a pig, but I gave up. That's pretty cool you have them.

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 11:07:37 PM »
Last week acquisition:  :001_tt1:the lunar year of rabbit, the international year of child and another hard-to-find modern coin, the 1 Oz lunar year of rooster.

Happycoins :  ;)
www.happycoins.multiply.com

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »
Ooh, let me know if you're interested in selling the rooster. I need one ;)

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 02:10:50 AM »
Dear Zerosum,

Please give me your email address, and then let's discuss privately.

By the way, attached is another set of Chinese modern coins which just acquired by me in Bangkok, Thailand.

Happycoins :001_tt1:

Offline badon

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 03:30:37 AM »
Wow, beautiful coins! Are you going to submit them to NCS and NGC?

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 03:48:30 AM »
Since there are no NGC/NCS'agents in Bangkok, Thailand, where I live, I prefer to keep them as it is (no time to deal with paper work for exporting and importing).

Thanks for your concern

Happycoins :001_rolleyes:   

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 09:17:55 AM »
Some hard-to-find new comers for this week. :001_tt1:

Happycoins
www.happycoins.multiply.com

Offline badon

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
Those coins look really nice. Are you going to get them graded?

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
No,same reason as mentioned before. :001_tt2:

By the way, my 12 oz silver dragon  :001_tt1:I acquired a year ago is also attached for your eyes'candy.   

Happycoin II

Offline badon

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »
Wow, what an impressive collection - and these are just your "new" coins. WOW!

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
u got deep pockets.... me jealous....

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »
5oz silver medals,1988 Hong Kong 7th International Exhibition and 1989 Guan Yin Goddess.
5oz silver coin, Y#108 1986 the 120th Aniversary-Birth of Sun Yat-Sen.

Happycoins II
 :001_wub: :001_tt1:

Offline ?

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »
Rabbits :001_cool:

greetz anwir

Offline badon

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
I've never liked colored coins, but those ones are impressive. How are they colored? Is it something that won't fade or rub off over time?

Offline rjbeck

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 06:41:09 AM »
I just recently finished the 2008 Beijing Olympic sets 1-2-3 These are some of my favorites
Collector of Chinese modern bullion

Offline badon

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
Nice photos. I normally don't like colored coins, but these look great. Are they enamel, or something durable like that? The early colored coins looked like a printer of some sort, and they were horribly ugly. Kind of like looking into the eyes of someone with fake colored contacts - they just creep you out.

Offline rjbeck

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 02:13:32 AM »
I've never liked colored coins, but those ones are impressive. How are they colored? Is it something that won't fade or rub off over time?
Colored coins were my least favorite until the Chinese opera coins and the Outlaws of the Marsh series came out. The color is screen printed or pad printed looking at them thru a magnifier it has the look of being enameled. They did a very good job.
I did have a problem with a hologram coin from the Australian mint. When I removed the coin from the capsule I touched the hologram by accident and it removed some of the printing and ruined the coin.I always like to see the coin out of it's holder to me it's night and day in appearance. RB
Collector of Chinese modern bullion

Offline badon

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
It sound
When I removed the coin from the capsule I touched the hologram by accident and it removed some of the printing and ruined the coin.I always like to see the coin out of it's holder to me it's night and day in appearance. RB

It sounds like you pay dearly for the privilege! I'm satisfied with them in a safe and secure NGC holder. Then I can let anybody look at them without much worry of damage.

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 01:27:34 AM »
Hello, I'm new here but i have been a silent reader for a while now and i think this forum is great with full of information from the experts. I'm a chinese gold coins collector and would like to share some of my personal collection with all of you.

This is a 1/2oz. 999.9 gold from the famous 1995 Yellow River Culture series with mintage of 2500 only.

Happy viewing.

Andrew

KonaJim

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 02:20:35 AM »
Very nice coin Andrew.  Andrew is a very nice man and a pleasure to do business with.  I hope you all have the opportunity to get to know him.
Aloha,
Jim

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:09 AM »
Gorgeous coin, Andrew. Thanks for sharing it.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline badon

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
Welcome to our forum! That's one of the nicest coin photos I've seen in a while. Great job on the coin, and the photo. I haven't collected the Yellow River Culture coins, but seeing such a gorgeous photo does spark my interest.

Offline canadian

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
WOW!, nice pictures.

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
Thank you very much guys for your kind words. And now i would like to share with you  the following :-

REV : TWO FLOATING DRAGONS  1oz. 1988, (GRADED BY NGC PF69)
Subject : Year Of The Dragon, Obv : Temple of Heaven, KM #196, 100 Yuan, 31.132gm, 1oz. 0.9990, Gold 0.9999oz. AGW, Series : 1988 Lunar Year
Proof Mintage : 10,000.

And follow by my Colorized golds collection in a show case.

Happy Viewing !

Andrew

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
Here are my newest!
I dont know much about them other than they are called outstanding historical figures and I thought they were so awsome that I could not resist to pick up everyone the coinshop had at 30 USD each...

Would love to find a comprehensive guide/collection overview of them though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RafPV2H7JKY

I love them!

DiggingNorway

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
Hey DiggingNorway, I watch your videos. Chinese coins are my new addiction (it was silver before). $30 for those coins are a STEAL :) You can sell them for double on ebay if you wanted to. I am sure you won't. Enjoy them and keep up the good work with your vids.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Hi  :001_smile:
Thank you for your kind words.
I actually added to the collection today.
I have two series ( I have found at)
The historical figueres series
The Traditional Culture Series

I have now completed 1995 Culture series (5 coins silver 5 yuan)
(thats the ones with the great wall)
I have three 1997, so I lack two.
The series was only made in 1995 and 1997, so 10 coins all together.

The historical figueres series is much bigger, 10 years with 4 coins each year. I did add s few today as well.

Alltogether the latest coins increased the average (had to buy from a dealer I hate.. too expensive and very little info on their web-page so basically you have to buy "blind"...) My average for this series is now is 36 USD...

The coins are very nice :) I am not sure if they sell for that much on ebay though... I see some of them are priced over 100USD but they dont move.. some do, but there are great spreads... I dont care really... the coins are very very nice, much more exciting details than the pandas...

best of luck to you in your collecting :)

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
I think you are "ahead" of the market right now. That is why you are getting them so cheap. Most Chinese coin buyers are probably so focused on the hot and popular chinese coins (pandas,dragons,horses,..etc). Those hot coins have a much wider appeal. As the market matures, people will start looking for other series to collect. I think the 1997 series has 35,000 mintage and the 1995 20,000 mintage. These are GREAT prices you are paying.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
shhhhh dont tell anyone :w00t:
the historical figuere series has 8000 and even claims of around 5500 mintage certain years ;)

BUT: ofcourse I am looking to sell in the chjinese market in 20 years or so, purely based on demographics, BUT: Noone knows the future preferences of the collectors market in China... I certainly do not. The stage is set for a huge collectors market in China in the long run... huge. After the population has covered their basic needs, they will start to collect painting, arts, stamps, coins, what ever.. but this is a "tertiary" demand, first we will have to see 200 million more being lifted up from industrial working class to middle class and uppermiddle class. Then its very simple mathematics. However, some of this effect is already priced in to coins..

I read some very very msart words here on the forum, I dont remeber who said it, but I belive it is crucial: The profit in numismatics is not done when you sell a coin, its done when you buy one.
Thus: as I say in my videos (even though I am drunk in half of them) my strategy is to SAVE (i.e. postpone consumption) have liquidity and wait for the offers. (OK, the last increase did not follow that strategy, but I got some key dates with low mintage and my average is still good). In Norway, I can play the assymetric information game, not much interest in chinese coins here and dealers dont know their value. As a result some dealers price too low, some too high.

Its friday! Hope you are having a beer too :) I have spent two days in an extremely booring work shop with economic historians about financial crises and been presented articled for a book... gosh these guys are idiots. It was so booring that after one presenter (from the US ) was finished I took the word and showed them a chineese silver coin and basically told them that the current bubble is in currencuies...(they hadent thought about it!!) they were still arguing about how to define a "financial crises" that could fit to their model and timeseries... they laughed at me... and that gave me great joy! you might say that a positive externality added to the utility I got from picking up the coins at the post office this morning...

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
Interesting; these are really good mintages. You should post more pics or make another video about them. In the US, you can still buy Chinese coins because the dealers don't understand them yet. The interest in Chinese coins made me more interested in the Chinese culture. That is a culture with a lot of depth and history. I don't drink;I am enjoying my healthy GREEn smoothie full of vegetables :O Enjoy your weekend.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
beer is a crucial part of European Culture and History (for at least 1000 years, not comparable to the US society)one last interesting point: at ny business school we have many chinese young aspiring students from affluent homes. One girl (which saw the coins) knew the history by heart (all the figueres on the coins; she could tell me the story and biography about the person on them) HOWEVER: she had never ever seen the coins before, she didnt even know they excisted! And this girl is an active equity-speculator!

My bet is that affluent future chinese (with strong bounds to a country woth a history dating back thouands of years) will appriciate these rare coins in the future.

I dont want to bore my subcribers with more coin-movies.... my channels is about metal detecting and Scandinavian history... have a nice week-end :)

Offline badon

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
I read some very very msart words here on the forum, I dont remeber who said it, but I belive it is crucial: The profit in numismatics is not done when you sell a coin, its done when you buy one.

That might have been me. I say "You make money when you buy, not when you sell", or something like that.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
I think its very good advice. the numismatic dealers have a huge spred between buy and sell, at the same time they have alot of capital locked into working capital... so I always bargain. Always.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
Well,post pics here then if you don't want to post them on youtube. I don't know if you realized this yet, but badon is THE authority on Chinese coins. I learned TONS from him in the past few days. 

Offline badon

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
Well,post pics here then if you don't want to post them on youtube. I don't know if you realized this yet, but badon is THE authority on Chinese coins. I learned TONS from him in the past few days. 

I'm definitely the most talkative one, but there are others! This forum is jam-packed with Chinese coin experts in all different areas and specialties. I focus on the investing side of things. Still, thanks for the compliment :)

Offline badon

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
Somebody just made a ton of money on Peter's shared expertise, for example:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2353.msg8290#msg8290

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
my channel is a metal detecting channel, so this clip is "hidden", but I post it here to show the latest additions to the 5 yuan silver series..

cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVtXfuUcBo

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »
I just finished watching it. Thanks for sharing all that info. I bookmarked those sites. If you come across any sites that sell chinese coins (other than ebay), let me know. Don't worry so much whether people are interested or not in what you have to talk about. You are sharing your passions and people will watch.

Offline badon

« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
my channel is a metal detecting channel, so this clip is "hidden", but I post it here to show the latest additions to the 5 yuan silver series..

cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVtXfuUcBo

When you were showing your favorite Chinese coin websites, you started with this one, and I got so excited when you went looking for another one to show - I guess I was hoping my articles at LBC would make it into your video!

Very enjoyable to watch your videos by the way. Sometimes I want a break from reading and replying, you know?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2011, 07:50:57 AM »
A picture tells a thousand word or something... I'm nit sure what LBC is... I just showed the sites that had helped me a lot identifying the coins,,
br

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »
I am very excited
I just bought a 5 yuan 1/20 oz gold panda 1998 for 90 USD from a coindealer in a city west of the capitol.
I dont know if its a large or small date yet, I didnt want to ask, I just wanted them to send it ASAP while still holding my breath and hide my exicitment on the phone... They must have priced this one seriuosly wrong?? :confused1:

I also picked up a 1997 1/20 oz for 80 USD... It will arrive in a couple of days and I'll post some photos...

I do have a good feeling about this one though  :drool:

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
It looks like you are doing some "urban"/"telephone" treasure hunting :) Are they mint sealed?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
No, they are in capsules. I have never seen a mint sealed or PCGS/NCG sealed panda here in Norway.-
They are sold from a numistmatic shop with many many years experience, so I guess they would spot a fake one, but you never know..... I have never seen a fake panda here in Norway, if it turns out to be fake I can always return them and get my money back, its a small country  :biggrin:

It doesent seem like many of the coin shops are participating in the panda marked or giving it alot of attention, many times they buy them for gold/silver spot + whatever margin the seller can argue for and the dealer belive he can push forward, and sell them with their normal margin to move coins fast.

One do add extra margins for pandas (they are too high many of them in my opinion; I dont want to pay 100 USD for silver 2008 panda! however this is only one shop, and I try not to do business with them as their policy seems to be - "lets just pump up the price and with time it will be sold" (that way they dont have to adjust their prices so often and they have thousands of thousands of coins and apperantly not too concerned with their working capital since they sell modern rubbish collectorcoins of coppernickel with huge profits to clueless collectors that belives that one day, one day, that 40.000 mintage World Cup in Biathlon Copper Coin will be very valuable (and they pay 100-200 USD for it in a nice box and a "certificate" (that if you hold it too a special light reads: you've been fooled sucker)!), but few of them have any detailed knowlegde...  I'll post photos of them when they arrive

also demand is not very high either.... I pray it will sta this way for a while  :001_smile:

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
thanks for the tip, I will check it out.

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »
Hello again,
I'm now posting another one of my favourite panda coin. It is a 1989 MUNICH INTERNATIONAL COIN FAIR   1/2oz. (GRADED BY PCGS PR69)Face Value : Medal Weight   : 1/2oz. Content   : .999gold Diameter : 27mm Quality   : Proof Mintage   : 1500

Happy Viewing.

Andrew

Offline badon

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
Nice coin, and so rare. You take excellent photos, thanks for showing me this beautiful coin. Munich expo coins are popular, and getting more expensive very quickly.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
1994-P 50Y
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:33:52 PM by Panda Halves »

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »
PandaHalve,
It's nice if you could provide some information about the coin.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
1994 1/2 Ounce Panda
Face Value: 50Y
Coin Weight: 1/2oz.
Content: .999gold
Diameter: 27mm Quality   
Proof Mintage: Unknown (Maximum 2500)

I'll know more about the grade when it gets through the NCS/NGC process.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
It looks like a nice coin. Good luck.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
I have contact with a bullion dealer and he has some gold 1 oz in its original PVC cover...
but I wonder... did they really come in the soft(?) PVC cover, with no hardcapsule inside??
I mean, this offer very little protection for the coins no?
I have seen pictures of gold pandas that are in a hard round cover, and the soft PVC covering them?

Did they come originally like this? (photo)
He has 1985, 1987 and 1989 on offer for aprox 10% over spot .... but I am afraid they are damaged... on the other hand.. if they were sent in for grading and get agood grade... woulden 10% over spot be a very good price to buy them for??

(this photo has a damaged PVC cover.. so he was willing to sell it at a discount...

he receives them fra a bullion distributor from the US....  what do you think?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
like tha photo Panda Halves just posted ABOVE, it seems like it has both the hard plastic round, and the PVC.... whats the story here?

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »
I think the proofs come in a capsule and the non proofs in soft vinyl pouch. I bought many pandas in the vinyl pouches. This is a 1987-S 1 Oz Gold Panda. Those often have copper spots. Does he have an image of the other side?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
no he dosent have that... i might ask him for one... i dont think it has any copper staince, then he would have said so.. he is not used to that on gold coins... i think he only took this photo to show the wrap in the PVC cover... (up to the left)

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
If the rip is not big enough to get the coin out, then it probably stayed in there for a long time. Now, here is my beginner opinion. This is the more common 1 oz with 84000 vs the y mint with 47000. If you were a bullion buyer, comparing this to another bullion purchase,I would definitely buy this. If you are buying this to speculate on increasing value, I would put my money somewhere else with lower mintage. I am sure badon and peter will elaborate much more intelligently :)

Offline badon

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
The PVC pouch is common for the early pandas, though I'm not very familiar with them. I think r3globe is correct that they come without capsules for non-proof pandas. The PVC can damage even gold coins, so be sure to get them conserved. Make sure to note on the NCS paperwork that the coin has PVC residues on it that must be removed.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
thanks.. he has 1985 and 1989 too....

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
I think 1985 has the lowest mintage amongst all three with 55,539

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
it seems to me, after having browsed the pedia, that 1 oz BU gold only reach a significant premium over spot in the 1995, 1996 , 1998, 1999 and 2005 years...... hmmm.. :sneaky2:

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:14 PM »
Except for 2 years the coins with the double seals (capsule + pouch) are proofs, like the 1994 above. Business strike coins get only one pouch.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
Thanks Peter - Have the March issue been released yet?
my book is still not arrived.... god knows whats going on.. all my UIK and some US amazon books have arrived...
 :crying: ..

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
The China Mint melted Panda coins, coin dealers melted Pandas, jewelers put them in bezels and bracelets and melted them, too. Mintage is irrelevant and even misleading, it's surviving population size that matters.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

P.S. Second book was shipped a while ago. I can look for the customs receipt to get the date it was sent but unfortunately we can't track the book with it. Maybe it's on a "No Buy" list with customs. Just kidding. The March issue is still in progress. My ANA convention appearance was great fun but took time away from the Pricepedia. I have to catch up now.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2011, 06:31:52 PM »
Thanks peter for the clarification. So, I guess the price of the coin will give you an idea about its scarcity.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
Thanks peter for the clarification. So, I guess the price of the coin will give you an idea about its scarcity.

Sometimes it does but not always. There can be other factors. One example is lack of demand due to buyers’ confusion about the true populations of many coins. Some very scarce coins and varieties are relegated for long periods to "common" status. As long as there is no interest in them there is no movement in price, although it would only take a very small increase in demand to force their prices higher. There are still quite a few instances of price distortions like this in the Chinese market which is part of what makes it so interesting to research and write about (at least for me).

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
so basically, my dealer friend has 3 pcs 1987, 8 pcs 1989 and 1 pcs 1985... all in PVC covers.. would you recommend him to conserve and grade all of them?`

Sales is a bit slow in Norway... so maybe try to sell them at ebay?

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
so basically, my dealer friend has 3 pcs 1987, 8 pcs 1989 and 1 pcs 1985... all in PVC covers.. would you recommend him to conserve and grade all of them?`

Sales is a bit slow in Norway... so maybe try to sell them at ebay?

Unless they are real gems I doubt any will bring much above melt value on eBay or elsewhere at this time. A very high grade coin of these dates (particularly the 1989) will bring a decent premium. This is why many gold Panda coins get melted. Eventually, sometimes, the remaining survivors are no longer common and rise in value. Then lots of people say, "Oh, I used to have one of those."

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
Glourios Day!!!  :001_cool:

Finally My Panda Book arrived!! Very happy... AND my favorit dealer came trough! sent my an email this morning and hioted that he had some chinese silvers just arrived... thats my guy :)

I picked a lot of goodies for a reasonalbe price:

This is the pick of the day: UNEARTHED ARTIFACTS 1990

I dare not say how much(little) I paid for them... but as long as the dealer is happy and I am happy, all is good. They will cost a little to conserve and slab and the rest of series seems impossible to get at reasonable prices so I take this into consideration when assesing the price, but it was a brgain.. no doubt about it :)

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
Hi again,
I'm now posting another favourite of mine however this one is not rare but it is the beauty of the coin "Seated Kuanyin" which achieved PERFECT GRADE PF70 from NGC.

SUBJECT : SEATED KUANYIN  1/10oz.  2003
(GRADED BY NGC PF70)
KM # 1512, 50 Yuan, 3.1104gm, 0.9990
Gold 0.0999oz. AGW, 18mm
Obv : Putuo Mountain Pilgrimage Gate
Rev : Seated Kuanyin with holographic background
Edge : Reeded
Date : 2003
Proof Mintage : 33,000

Happy Viewing

Andrew

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2011, 01:38:23 PM »
Nice one Andrew  :001_smile:

here is one of the others I got today... I have no idea what it is... 1997, 1/2 ozt??

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
Hot Kuanyin sitting in fire. Cool happy kid with a big fish. Wow!

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2011, 04:43:57 AM »
Digging Norway,
You do not know what coins you're buying ? What is the area of your strength ?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:12 AM »
Digging Norway,
You do not know what coins you're buying ? What is the area of your strength ?

I'msorry I dont understand your question. I pay spotprice for the coins (metal-price) si when I see a chinese coin with a kid and fish from 1997 which looks nice I but it. Is that a strength?

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »
I was asking about the strength of your collection or what do you collect the most ? For example, some people may specialised in collecting Pandas only and some may collect lunar coins.

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
Hello, Now i would like to share one of the most beautiful dragon coin in my collection.

REV : TWO FLOATING DRAGONS  1oz. 1988
(GRADED BY NGC PF69)
Subject : Year Of The Dragon
Obv : Temple of Heaven
KM #196, 100 Yuan, 31.132gm, 1oz. 0.9990
Gold 0.9999oz. AGW
Series : 1988 Lunar Year
Proof Mintage : 10,000

Happy Viewing.

Andrew

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2011, 06:40:43 AM »
Nice one Andrew  :001_smile:

here is one of the others I got today... I have no idea what it is... 1997, 1/2 ozt??

"Auspicious Matters" series

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »

[/quote]
I was asking about the strength of your collection or what do you collect the most ? For example, some people may specialised in collecting Pandas only and some may collect lunar coins.

OK... I started collecting different bullion coins at first, all kinds of things: silver eagles, philharmonics, different canadian mint etc... then I stumbled across a giant 1kg panda that I liked very much... so I started collecting pandas as I liked their design. Ten I stumbled across some other low mintage silver modern coins, since I got them cheap I bought them. Then I started researching the coins, this fourm and other sites and got hooked...

Now I collect pandas, gold and silver, and modern silver coins... I have almost completed the 1995 and 1997 traditional culture series. I only miss one coin. I have about half of the historical figueres series, I have some of the unearthed artifacts, some olympic series..

basically I buy up all the modern chinese coins with low mintage I can get my hands on (when I get good offers) and my next step is to send them in to NCS/NGC as these are "European Coins" and they are "bashed by badon" ;) It will be exciting to see what grade they will get.. I am kind of hoping that these silver coins from the 80s and 90s will become popular again and due to their low mintage they will becom interesting collectables.. in addition they are very beautiful coins.. Not many people collect chinese coins in Norway so one can get some bargains out there.. but some of the coins are probably not handled properly... so the grading will be exciting..

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
"Auspicious Matters" series

Thanks, I found that too one the internet when I got some time, but I really didnt find any good site describing the whole series, the lenght, varieties and mintages.. personally I dont like the colorized coins, but since badon said that children was popular in China and I only paid 20USD for it I got it :)

Offline buynicething

« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
31.3 grams
Just picked up this one with a couple others.
Paid 150 for it.  There are the milk spots that can be seen.
The marks are on the capsule.
I was thinking about returning it.  Thoughts

Offline buynicething

« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
Here is the reverse

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
I see no point in spending money on impaired examples of coins that can be found and bought in original condition. I make exceptions for coins that are truly rare or have study value.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline buynicething

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to respond Peter!
That does sound like great advice.
I will be sending it back.

Offline buynicething

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »
Here are the ones to keep.
Not the most expensive coins, but I really like the theme.
I mean who doesn't want abundance and happiness for there children

Offline buynicething

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
And the silver

« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »
Such a beautiful gold coin you have.

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
This one is another of my favourite.

SUBJECT : CHAIRMAN MAO  1/2oz. 1993
(GRADED BY NGC PF69)
KM # 542, 50 Yuan, 15.5517gm, ½ oz. 0.9990
Gold 0.4995oz. AGW, 27mm
Rev : Bust, ¾ left, denomination at left
Date : 1993
Proof Mintage : 5000

Happy Viewing.

Andrew

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
wow, beautiful pictures, Andrew. Do you care how you take such good photos? What kind of camera? Any tips. Thanks.

Offline buynicething

« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2011, 04:38:28 PM »
Wow!  That must be a tough coin to find in investment grade!  Nice!

« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
wow, beautiful pictures, Andrew. Do you care how you take such good photos? What kind of camera? Any tips. Thanks.

I use a Nikon D700 digital SLR to take the picture without its flash. The light come from my table lamp and not to shine directly to the coin as it could cause reflection, snap the picture from certain angle to ensure the reflection of the coin does not reflect back yourself. And you must have a steady hand when taking pictures in low lights.

Cheers!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »
thank you for the tip :)

Offline canadian

« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »
Hello DiggingNorway

Your coin from the "Auspicious Matters" series is one of 11, silver and gold coins from the 1997 issue. In 1998 there were 5 coins in the series and in 1999 there were 3 coins in the series. I also like this series but think that it was not very popular, western collectors don't appreciate the symbolism.

best regards

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
Hello, Here i'm again with another rare coin.

1988 A.N.A CONVENTION CINCINNATI   1oz.
(GRADED BY NGC PF69)
Face Value : Medal
Weight   : 1oz.
Content   : .999gold
Diameter : 32mm
Quality   : Proof
Mintage   : 1000

Happy Viewing !

Andrew

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
This coin 1995 Silk Road is not rare but it is hard to find in investment grade.

SUBJECT : SILK ROAD 1/3oz.  1995
(GRADED BY NGC PF69)
KM # 870, 50 Yuan, 11.318gm, 0.9160
Gold 0.3333oz. AGW, 23mm
Obv : National Emblem, date below
Rev : Man Riding Camel, denomination at right
Date : 1995
Proof Mintage : 10,000

As usual happy viewing.

Regards,
Andrew

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
look at the beautiful details on that camel. Thank you for such nice pictures, Andrew.

Offline badon

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
Yes, Andrew's photos are some of the best that get posted on this forum. I really enjoy seeing them.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »
Newest bear in the family... raw, 347USD.. happy to get it  :biggrin:

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
nice looking bear at a great price; congratulations :)

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
The 1994 proof is back from grading.
Gold 1/2 Proof Set is now 100% Complete:
http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=117117
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:21:52 PM by Panda Halves »

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
congratulations Pandahalves and you could not have picked a more "perfect" coin to finish the set :)

« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
WOW ! Congratulation Pandahalves to get a Perfect grade.

Offline badon

« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
What a stunner! Congratulations on your magnificent collection, I am quite impressed.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
It is fantastic coin and getting the world's only MS-70 is a delightful result, the more so given that there were some worrisome plastic chips inside the original capsules. I was privileged to see the coin at the ANA Show. It's an extraordinary coin that belongs to a great, knowledgeable collector who is also a very nice guy.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline badon

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
And now, a wealthier guy too :) Those 70 coins just make me drool dollar bills. I can't believe the sums of money I have spent on 70 coins, but in hindsight, they were dirt cheap.

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »
Got from a collector who attended the Eurseree Auction#24 yesterday as discussed at the below link

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2429.0

My favoriest is the Kanfu panda set.

By the way, does anyone have any clue on the current market price the attached 1982 football coins?

Happycoins

Offline badon

« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2011, 01:49:01 AM »
My favoriest is the Kanfu panda set.

I think you mean "Kung Fu" panda? That's my favorite too. It has such a great nickname :)

« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2011, 02:34:47 AM »
Such a beauty of gold kunfu panda you have here.

Offline badon

« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2011, 02:39:11 AM »
Yes, the gold one is nice, but I think the silver one is rarer, isn't it?

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Hello I'm back again. Hope all of you are not bored with me and my coins. Well this time i would like to share :-

SUBJECT : INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE CHILD  17.170gm   1979
(GRADED BY NGC PF69)
KM # 9, 450 Yuan, 17.1700gm, 0.9000
Gold 0.4968oz. AGW,
Series : International Year Of The Child
Obv : State seal above floral sprays
Rev : Two children planting flower   
Date : 1979
Proof Mintage : 12,000

As usual happy viewing.

Andrew

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
wow why would anyone be tired of viewing your coins andrew? Keep them coming.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
beautiful coin ! Thanks for sharing.

Offline badon

« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »
Yeah, these are some very nice coins, and very nice photos. Thanks for posting them, and keep them coming. I love looking at them.

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:58 AM »
Dear Andrew,

Just keep posting your coins. They are all perfect in the slapped holders. :001_tt1:

Happycoins

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
Thank you all for your compliments and now i would like to share :-

SUBJECT : YEAR OF ROOSTER  8.00gm  1981
(GRADED BY NGC PF69)
KM # 41, 250 Yuan, 8.00gm, 0.9170
Gold 0.2358oz. AGW, 23mm
Obv : Monument, date lower left
Rev : Rooster left, denomination at left
Date : 1981
Proof Mintage : 5015

Happy Viewing.

Andrew

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
Just wanted to share with you some of my Unicorns collection of various years.

1994 Unicorn 1/4oz.     Gold Proof Mintage   5100
1994 Unicorn 1/10oz.    Gold Proof Mintage   5100
1994 Unicorn 1/10oz.    Gold Proof Mintage   5100
1994 Unicorn 1/20oz.   Gold Proof Mintage   31100
1995 Unicorn 1/2oz.    Gold Proof Mintage   2000
1996 Unicorn 1/4oz.   Gold Proof Mintage   3000

As usual happy viewing.

Andrew

Offline badon

« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
Why do you have 2 1994 1/10 oz gold unicorns? Is one for sale?

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
Why do you have 2 1994 1/10 oz gold unicorns? Is one for sale?

Not at this moment perhaps later this year

Underbidder

« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
? "Why do you have TWO 1994 1/10 gold Unicorns?".  If it were me, the answer  would be " 'Cuz I haven't found my THIRD yet!"  :thumbup:

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »
Just got these back from NGC (all conserved before grading). The 1996 Unicorn is the one I bought from Pocono

Offline pandaguy212

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »
Hi Grip - I believe your 1996 gold panda is mis-labeled - it is a Small Date  :(

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »
Why am I not surprised. guess I'll just list it for 30,000 as a grading error....

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
Yes, it is a 1996 Small Date.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Underbidder

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »
Nice coins Grip! Some of my favorites as well. I especially like the 96 Panda, it can't really be called a sleeper, but I think they are undervalued for sure, and they  will only get more popular as the 98s and 95s get scarcer.  Any ideas on relative scarcity of 96 large dates vs small dates?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:46:52 PM by Underbidder »

Offline pandaguy212

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
I believe the Small Date 1996 is more rare. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »
NGC population is rarer between the large and small date specific grades, but a lot of 96's were graded with a generic 1996 MS. I'm sending the coin back with my next batch of raw coins for regrade as the slab has a small ding as well as the wrong date type designation.

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Just got these back from NGC. All conserved before grading.

Underbidder

« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2011, 09:57:22 PM »
Congrats Grip on finding and conserving these gems-  :thumbup1:

Offline badon

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Nice grades, almost all of them are 69's.

« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2011, 11:54:35 PM »
Congrats to you Grip for having such beautiful and high grade coins. You must be very proud owner.

Offline ?

« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »
Panda 2011 5 oz Au :001_wub:; Mintage 2,000

greetz anwir

« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »
Such a beauty. Do you intend to send for grading ?

Underbidder

« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »
 :001_tt1:

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
Just got this. NGC graded population is a total of 17 with 14 MS69. No idea what the PCGS numbers are, but the gold Peacocks don't show up often.

Underbidder

« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
Hey Grip-- nice Peacock- BTW did you see how fast the 1996 100 Yuan MS69 you recently showed has risen in just days?  From $2100 as few days ago to today $2,850 and it sold within seconds of being put up.  WOW  :blink:

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
Hey Cous. I saw that too. Could just be a one off anomaly. Hope you are well....

Underbidder

« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »
Hmm... I think maybe that's the anomaloy.. from here on !  ;)
None up for auction on ebay, and any popping up being snatched instantly, I think what we may have here is the next year moving into  '95 and '98 status !

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
Having seen the coins in the slapped holders with high grade and conservation, it reminds me about a brandname costumes and cosmetics which make the person who weares them look better. On the other hand, the coins with their original box, double sealed and COA remind me about natural beauty where the person who has it must be very proud, and that it is more interesting to preserve it.

I believe that their true beauty would depend on which angle that you prefer. :001_tt2:

Thank for reading this, and belows are Chinese modern coins that I recently acquired.

Happycoins 

Underbidder

« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
HC,  for many coins I agree wholeheartedly !  I'd rather have any set still in the box, whether they be panda proof sets, bimetal sets, and I like the cultural figures in boxes too.  Actually, almost anything that came in a box, I like to keep in the box.  It keeps an aura of mystery about it.  What would it grade?  Hmmm...no one knows yet.. for sure... COULD be a 69... These are for myself.
On the other hand, if it came in just a plastic wrap like a panda, well, might as well have it in a slab, so long as its a 69. Easier to know price and sell when its time.

« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »
Happycoins,
WOW !! thanks for sharing such a scare coins you have here. Perhaps you could write some introduction of the coins you display so other know what is it all about.

Offline badon

« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
I do keep the accessories too, if I've got them, but I'd never get excited about just the accessories. The coin is the star of the show, and some stars shine brighter than others, sometimes literally. In that case, I think of a graded coin like an athlete that's finally earned a spot on the Olympic team, while the ungraded coins are still in training...with European sweat and spit on them, haha :)

Underbidder

« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2011, 01:31:24 AM »
As long as they're still in their plastic wrap, that Euro-spit can wiped off easily !  :thumbup1:

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:45 AM »
Happycoins,
WOW !! thanks for sharing such a scare coins you have here. Perhaps you could write some introduction of the coins you display so other know what is it all about.
As I can't read Chinese, I would refer to the information that I got from an auction house which claims that this set is the 1981 70th Anniversary of Revolution set, consisting of (i) a 400 Yuan 1/2 Oz .916 Gold Proof, Mintage 1500 pieces,and (ii) a 35 Yuan 1 Oz .916 Silver Proof, Mintage 4000 pieces.

This is a seldom seen set. I hope you like the picture.

Happycoins

« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »
As I can't read Chinese, I would refer to the information that I got from an auction house which claims that this set is the 1981 70th Anniversary of Revolution set, consisting of (i) a 400 Yuan 1/2 Oz .916 Gold Proof, Mintage 1500 pieces,and (ii) a 35 Yuan 1 Oz .916 Silver Proof, Mintage 4000 pieces.

This is a seldom seen set. I hope you like the picture.

Happycoins

Thanks for sharing it is a real beauty and scarce set. Do you intend to send for grading ?

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2011, 05:41:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing it is a real beauty and scarce set. Do you intend to send for grading ?
No, I like the natural beauty as it is.

Happycoins

Offline billtucker

• New
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2011, 01:17:58 AM »
Wow guys :001_rolleyes:, I never knew that Chinese coins looks damm beautiful. I wish I could have one. Can any one guide me where to get one panda coin. Is it available online??? guys please help...

Offline taciturn

« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
nice unicorns. got them today for double spot price. yeah!

Offline badon

« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
Wow, good job! You have a whole set! AMAZING!

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
congratulations!! that sounds like a great price!

Offline badon

« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2011, 02:58:09 PM »
In a 69 grade, each of those would sell for between 20 and 40 times the spot silver value.

Offline taciturn

« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
I am very happy about this. A friend of me sold me a lot of Chinese coins today. Some expensive (still cheaper than today's value) and some very cheap.
Here I got the Sun Yatsen for 10x spot (is it normal, that this coin was originally only in a plastic pouch without capsule?)

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
Wow guys :001_rolleyes:, I never knew that Chinese coins looks damm beautiful. I wish I could have one. Can any one guide me where to get one panda coin. Is it available online??? guys please help...

Try here: http://www.pandausa.com/silverpandacoins2.html

or here: http://www.victorybullion.com/

or here: http://www.pandaamerica.com/sresult.asp?keyword=China%202011%20Panda&sortby=priceasc

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2011, 02:51:59 AM »
I am very happy about this. A friend of me sold me a lot of Chinese coins today. Some expensive (still cheaper than today's value) and some very cheap.
Here I got the Sun Yatsen for 10x spot (is it normal, that this coin was originally only in a plastic pouch without capsule?)
Please take a look at page 4 of this topic. Mine looks the same.

« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
Hi Folks,
Here i am again with one of my non graded coin set to share with all of you. Today i went to my bank to take this set out from the bank vault and also to take some pictures.

80th ANNIVERSARY 1911 REVOLUTION SET OF 4.
KM#385 100Y Proof Mintage 2500, 8 gram gold
Rev: Sun Yat-Sen writing

KM#384 100Y Proof Mintage 1000, 1oz. gold
Rev:Sun Yat-Sen in uniform, facing

Happy Viewing !

Andrew

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »
Hi Folks,
Here i am again with one of my non graded coin set to share with all of you. Today i went to my bank to take this set out from the bank vault and also to take some pictures.

80th ANNIVERSARY 1911 REVOLUTION SET OF 4.
KM#385 100Y Proof Mintage 2500, 8 gram gold
Rev: Sun Yat-Sen writing

KM#384 100Y Proof Mintage 1000, 1oz. gold
Rev:Sun Yat-Sen in uniform, facing

Happy Viewing !

Andrew

Wow! Buy the way, did you win the bidding on ebay for the 70th Anniversary set?

« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »
[Wow! Buy the way, did you win the bidding on ebay for the 70th Anniversary set?
[/quote]

No i did not win, i really like yours.  :001_smile:

KonaJim

« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
Very nice set Andrew.  I'm very much in favor of keeping the old traditional sets intact. 

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:57 AM »
1985 Gold MS Panda 1/2 ounce...
Air Panda!
I traded something for this coin in the plastic raw at the March ANA Convention.

Offline badon

« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
Someday you're going to have to show us your whole collection. I bet it's amazing. "Air Panda", haha. It fits well with the Kung Fu Panda and the Pot Belly Panda :)

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:07 AM »
I think "air panda" is what Peter referred to it as at the convention. I didn't come up with it.

« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
Panda Halve,
I think that is not a 1995 panda please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.

Underbidder

« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2011, 05:06:18 AM »
Hey lets be fun! This is a beaut: and only 1000 made

Underbidder

« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:21 AM »
Ok, Drool is allowed if you have to: 1992 Proof Set  :001_smile:

Underbidder

« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2011, 05:15:27 AM »
This is what 1988 Hong Kong looks like:  :ohmy:

Underbidder

« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »
This is rare, way, way, underecognized, 1979 (first year) medal set

Underbidder

« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2011, 05:32:56 AM »
. :w00t:

Underbidder

« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2011, 05:39:44 AM »
Low mintage, I can't figure out pic size, sorry...
1998 Basel Au

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
This is what 1988 Hong Kong looks like:  :ohmy:

There is a second Panda medal that shares this design. It is made of brass, or gold plated brass, and is seen less frequently than the gold medal itself. Rumor has it that it was a VIP gift. Here's what it looks like:

The photo is from the Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:56:21 AM by PandaCollector »

« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
There is a second Panda medal that shares this design. It is made of brass, or gold plated brass, and is seen less frequently than the gold medal itself. Rumor has it that it was a VIP gift. Here's what it looks like:

The photo is from the Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Such a rare item there was once Panda America were selling a similar one.

Underbidder

« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
Yeah, they advertised it as .999 gold, and when I asked them if they were sure, they said, no, instead it was 99.9 gold,  :blink: then hemmed and hawed and finally pulled the item from auction. It would have been a nice curio piece, but not at the price they were asking.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
Such a rare item there was once Panda America were selling a similar one.

Yes, they had one that turned up in their vault a couple of months ago and mistakenly put it on eBay as the gold medal but then pulled it off. They didn't know what it was. I called the store to see what happened to it but couldn't get an answer.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
Yeah, they advertised it as .999 gold, and when I asked them if they were sure, they said, no, instead it was 99.9 gold,  :blink: then hemmed and hawed and finally pulled the item from auction. It would have been a nice curio piece, but not at the price they were asking.

It's definitely not worth as much as much as the gold medal right now, but as the apparently rarer of the two medals there's no telling how it might be valued in the future. It's an intriguing and mysterious medal. Perhaps someone reading this Forum has some first-hand knowledge of its history.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Panda Halve,
I think that is not a 1995 panda please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.

Correct. It is a 1985 as stated. Did you make a mistake or are you fishing for photos of a 1995 : )

Offline taciturn

« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »
cute animals  :001_smile:
(Endangered wildlife, year 1997, mintage: 30.000)

Underbidder

« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
Nice coin. I would guess that the actual Mintage was nowhere near that.

Offline taciturn

« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »
Another buy today. Sorry for the bad quality of the pic, but it's difficult to capture all 4 coins. Don't worry, fingerprints are only on the capsules. ;)

(Taiwan Scenery silver coin set 1992, 4 x 5 Yuan, planned mintage: 2000 sets)

Offline PeterPanda

• Panda America
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »

Sorry guys this item was not correctly described by our listing person as he only started working for us recently.  This indeed is a brass piece given away by the mint officials.  So we pulled this as soon as we reliazed the mistake.

Buy the book before the coin

Offline dragondollar

• Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
Bought my very first modern chinese coin today. A UNEP 5 yuan coin from 1992 for $316 USD. It looks like a problem free coin from the pictures, hope I did a good deal :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320709911078&si=HS17ucFW%252BntOr7rNJYxcPdVrPOE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Offline badon

« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »
I noticed that selling for good money. It's a beautiful coin, and I think coins with a female theme have been getting some attention lately.

Offline dragondollar

• Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Yeah, I like these Xinjiang themed coins, their design is really beautiful. I'm going to buy a 30th year anniversary of the Xinjiang SAR soon as well.

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
Congratulations dragondollar!

Offline bigtc

« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
Very nice! Good results with the grades.

Offline Nobleone

« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
My newest coins.  1989 8g Gold Year of the Snake, 1989 15gm Silver Year of the Snake, 1985 15gm Silver Year of the Ox, and 1986 15gm Silver Year of the Tiger.  All with COAs. I believe I might have over paid a bit, but I'm hoping that these years are under valued a bit.  They have relatively low mint counts.  I wonder how many did not sale out of the proposed mint of 15,000 for the Ag tiger and Ag snake and 10,000 for the Ag Ox. Only 7,500 reported mint for the 8g snake.  Now I have the tough decision of to slab or not to slab.  I might be getting the original boxes for a few of them, if the guy can find them in his house.  I have the Panda Pricepedia numbers on these, but what do you all think would be a fair price for these four coins with COAs?   

Offline badon

« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
Very nice start on the lunars.

These are hard to get in high grades, partly because most of them were stored or handled very poorly, like the tiger you have. The tiger is sliding around in a loose holder, and that is damaging the coin (the invisible dust inside acts like sandpaper).

Although they're all low-mintage, they're only rare in high grades. Low grades are pretty easy to get because they circulate.

You want high grades, if you care about the investment potential of your coins. That means you should slab all of them, and keep the ones that score the best. Remember to send them to NCS instead of directly to NGC.

They are definitely undervalued, even in low grades. I think an average early silver lunar has 1/300th the mintage of this year's 2011 silver panda.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
I bought this coin today, it was kind of expensive (for me) I gave 90USD for it  :ohmy:
But I just wanted it so bad. Is so cool to see how China tries to depict a cross country skier with the small traditional chinese "hut" (?) in the background, and the anatomy of the skier is also a bit strange... way to muscular, looks more like a downhill skill with that thorax and huge biceps.

This coin was made for the Winter Olympics in my country, Lillehammer 1994, and minted in 1992. Regarding the mintage there seems to be some different numbers out there. The Krause catalog says it is only 7500 minted, but accoring to
modernchinacoins.com the mintage was 30.000

China has never really been a great winter olympics participant, they have participated in 9 games, the first being in 1980 in Lake Placid. They have 9 gold medals, 18 silvers and 17 bronze medals. Their best sport is skating and curling.

However, if the mintage turnes out to be 7500 and someone wants to complete the olympic series this coin can get scarce.
The coins sent in to ngc are few, with: 7 coins graded 68 and 5 coins graded 69.

I think my coin need conservation, it has some haze around the edges... I use a microscope with blue light to check the coins now, as I have not yet solved my "sending in for grading problem".

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
nice buy, DN. Thanks for sharing.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »
For those who are interested in games theme coin.  Take a look at these bad boys that are on their way back from NCS and NGC with a 1,000 mintage each.

1984 23rd Summer Olympic Games:  PF69 Matte

1986 13th FIFA World Cup Mexico:  PF68 Matte

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
 :drool:

wow!

Offline GrandAm

« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2011, 02:08:08 AM »
I like this one  ;)

GrandAm  :001_rolleyes:

« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:47 AM »
GA,
Such a beauty, congrats !

Offline badon

« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »
Every time I start thinking I've got a nice collection, I see someone who has a coin that I don't have yet...

« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »
Every time I start thinking I've got a nice collection, I see someone who has a coin that I don't have yet...
Badon,
What theme do you collect care to share ?

Offline badon

« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
I collect seecoins. If I see it, I collect it :)

Offline PandaQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
   Hey Guys, Here's a few nice coins I recently got back from a batch sent to NCS/NGC. The 83 and 84 Brass Pandas were bought off an ad online 2 or 3 months back for $14.00 (Double Sealed) for the pair yes fourteen US$$$DOLLARS!!. I was skeptical at first but for $14 I took my chances, I still can't believe how little value the original owner had for them. Worked out great for me, for now I would consider them the rarest in my collection as far as PFUC69 availability on the bay goes.:thumbup:
       And the 1999 5Y LD Serif 1 I bought back in January for a couple hundred on eBay off a bad photo and coin already out of OMP, I haven't seen one sold individually in over two months. Over all my coins came back great all 69's including 1987 PFUC 1&5oz silver, 1999 silver Beijing Expo and some other goodies in fact the lowest grade was the 1999 5Y Serif ms68. Now I just need to figure out how to get the rest of my coins graded without selling, I guess I can't quite my day job yet. :biggrin:   

Offline badon

« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Wow, that brass panda came back from NCS looking spectacular!

Offline PandaQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
Thanks Badon,
   I believe the 84 had a few copper spots and they cleaned her right up. They looked good in the OMP but NCS did a fantastic job conserving them.

Offline banyantree

« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2011, 02:50:51 AM »
Hello,

here a nice picture from my china coin collection.

Banyantree

Offline badon

« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »
Very nice! I love that unicorn design. It's one of my favorites.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
A few highlights of my latest batch of raw coins sent to NCS/NGC.  Turnaround time was about a month.  The coins should be arriving any day now.  Interestingly, I sent a batch of mostly older coins directly to NGC at the same time (6/24) (bypassing NCS).  That batch is still "scheduled for grading."

1979   CHINA   YEAR OF THE CHILD   G450Y   PF 69 CAMEO
1987   CHINA   PANDA NEW YORK EXPO   G1OZ   PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
1993   CHINA   PANDA                   G50Y   MS 70
2003   CHINA   PANDA                   G200Y   MS 70

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »
A few highlights of my latest batch of raw coins sent to NCS/NGC.  Turnaround time was about a month.  The coins should be arriving any day now.  Interestingly, I sent a batch of mostly older coins directly to NGC at the same time (6/24) (bypassing NCS).  That batch is still "scheduled for grading."

1979   CHINA   YEAR OF THE CHILD   G450Y   PF 69 CAMEO
1987   CHINA   PANDA NEW YORK EXPO   G1OZ   PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
1993   CHINA   PANDA                   G50Y   MS 70
2003   CHINA   PANDA                   G200Y   MS 70

This is the highest concentration of high grades and rare coins in a single batch that I have seen! Congrats Birdman!!

Offline BoyBlueJay

« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »
My lastest aquisition from Xu Hong and I would love to see a COA if anyone can post one or email it to boybluejay@aol.com

His description to me:

These words are "星星之火可以燎原----毛泽东"。 This is a very famous saying by Chairman Mao Zedong. It means " A single spark can start a prairie fire. "
土地革命战争时期1927-1937 means the period of Agrarian Revolution war (1927 - 1937)
上海造币厂铸造 means the medal was made by Shanghai mint.
井冈山龙源口战斗旧址 A place where a battle took place in Jinggang Mountain
长征路上遵义会议旧址 The place where the famous Tsunyi Meeting took place (Jan, 15 to Jan 17, 1935 )
五次反围剿苏区政府旧址 the government building of the Red Army during the five times of anti-encirclement (fighting against Chiang Kai-shek government. )
南昌起义总指挥部旧址 The general headquarters of the Nanchang Uprising (1927)

Offline badon

« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2011, 01:51:07 AM »
Very interesting coins!

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Year: 1996
Theme: 40th Anniversary of Chinese Aerospace Industry Set
Material: 1 oz Silver
Authorized Mintage: 20,000
Quality: BU
Grade: MS69

Offline badon

« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
Very nice!

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
Did you buy them graded or did you send them off to NCS and NGC yourself?

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
I sent them to NCS/NGC myself. I already had the same year's 40th anniversary of aviation set and I thought rounding out the set for a low price would be a worthwhile endeavor. In my opinion the 1996 airplane coins are a better investment, especially the Jet Airplane which will probably be the key to this mini-set due to popularity. However, from a collector's standpoint I would rather own all four coins instead.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
On vacation I stopped by a hillbilly pawn shop in the Ozarks and bought these two beauties a few days ago...
Yes those small stickers are actual price paid.
2oz of silver for $29.90 in the form of double sealed piedfort 1997 Auspicious Happiness coins...
I also found a 1984 Year of Rat PF Silver coin in original box with COA in perfect condition at a random coin store for $250.00 and sold it to a fellow forum member at cost because I don't collect those things.
Auspiciuos Awesomeness!

Offline peng_you

« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
didnt bother putting a picture up due to the availablity of my new purchase. anyways, just bought 8 sheets of 10 1989 bu silver pandas. super fresh. hiphip hooray!!

Offline badon

« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
Oh no, you don't get off that easy! Pictures are required! Front and back too. You might have some interesting varieties in there.

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
On vacation I stopped by a hillbilly pawn shop in the Ozarks and bought these two beauties a few days ago...
Yes those small stickers are actual price paid.
2oz of silver for $29.90 in the form of double sealed piedfort 1997 Auspicious Happiness coins...
I also found a 1984 Year of Rat PF Silver coin in original box with COA in perfect condition at a random coin store for $250.00 and sold it to a fellow forum member at cost because I don't collect those things.
Auspiciuos Awesomeness!

You've got a great bargain! Now I know where to go on my next vacation...

Offline KonaJim

« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »
Here is a recently graded Invention & Discovery Coin from 1995.  It depicts the invention of the Cannon & Gunpowder.  There are only three graded by NGC with this being the highest graded by NGC.  This is a legal tender 50 yuan gold coin.  These coins from the Invention & Discovery series are still extemely undervalued in my opinion.  Check the NGC population figures and compare to any of the "popular" coins, 1995 Panda Proof, Fu Lu Shu, Peacock, or Unicorn.  None of those come close in rarity yet the price of these coins is significantly below the coins mentioned.

Offline badon

« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2011, 02:46:03 AM »
Is that one for sale?

« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2011, 04:49:18 AM »
KJ,
Such a "perfect" and beautiful coin you have there, did you manage to assemble the full set of 1995 I&D ?

Offline exchange

« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
1979 GOLD CHINA 400 YUAN 4 COIN PROOFSET 30 ANNIVERSARY - IN CELEBRATION OF THE 30tH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA.

This is the set that started it all for the Modern Chinese coin era. Extremely difficult to find in this condition and fully complete. The coins were not double sealed by the mint.
In original wooden box with gift wrap box and COA. The design on top of the box is all wood 3D elevated with very accurate details. The pictures does not capture that.
I removed the COA number for security reasons. Best quality presentation box I have ever seen.

Interesting story behind this set. A very reputable dealer in Florida had this set for just a few days and was ready to have it shipped and graded. Lucky for me I stumbled on it just a day or two before been shipped to the slaughter house (I'm sorry the grading service). I told the dealer if these were graded, I would not have bought them. She was extremely puzzled and could not understand why. She could not understand why I wanted this set the way they were issued and not graded. A perfect indication why these OMP are disappearing fast. Why would anybody want to grade these coins and put them in a credit card!....... I already the answer to that......

Enjoy the pics......

exchange

Offline KonaJim

« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
I have a full set of 1995 I&D plus some extra singles.  All my coins are for sale.  I also have a 1993 set, and a 1994 set.  There is presently on Ebay a nice 1993 set for sale.

Offline exchange

« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »
I have a full set of 1995 I&D plus some extra singles.  All my coins are for sale.  I also have a 1993 set, and a 1994 set.  There is presently on Ebay a nice 1993 set for sale.

Yes I saw, but for $27k+ they can keep it. I paid my 1979 set double the price of gold spot.

exchange

Offline KonaJim

« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »
With rare coins the content of the metal becomes irrelevant.  I can think of many examples.  There are copper coins that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The 1997 10 yuan platinum panda is a $ 20,000.00 coin.  The price of the 1993 I&D set is about right.  It's a very clean set, too bad one capsule is cracked.  There is a set being auctioned in Germany next month and we will see the pricing.  I sold a 1993 set recently, no box, no coa's but all graded NGC PF69UC for $ 26,000.00.

Offline exchange

« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
With rare coins the content of the metal becomes irrelevant.  I can think of many examples.  There are copper coins that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The 1997 10 yuan platinum panda is a $ 20,000.00 coin.  The price of the 1993 I&D set is about right.  It's a very clean set, too bad one capsule is cracked.  There is a set being auctioned in Germany next month and we will see the pricing.  I sold a 1993 set recently, no box, no coa's but all graded NGC PF69UC for $ 26,000.00.

Yes I agree. It's just a better feeling getting them as close to spot as possible.  I just cant afford them!

exchange

Underbidder

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »
I'm sure that's a great rule in a organized, rising market, like in the inflationary periods we've seen.  But in a deflationary time, it's prudent to have a mix with no premium ie bullion, because the high end high premium stuff might have no buyers, and be hard to liquidate, hence the premium diminishes, hence loss of money. I'll defer though to the longer term guys who lived through the 2007- 2008 asset drop, as to what they saw.
It's all about where you are in the cycle, that determines what is a good investment.

Offline badon

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2011, 12:26:33 AM »
Yep, that's good advice. If you buy bullion, you want the cheapest bullion available, with no premium at all if possible.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
I know these pictures are horrible but I took them with my Iphone.
I looked at the coins under magnification and they appeared in excellent shape. 

Here are four gold pandas just in from APMEX in OMP that I sent off yesterday to NCS/NCG
1983 1 oz Gold Panda
2005 1 oz Gold Panda
1982 .25 oz Gold Panda
2011 .25 oz Gold Panda

They are nothing exotic but it is gold and they are pandas so I’m happy. :001_smile:

Offline taciturn

« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
Hi,

here another buy today.
Panda Bimetallic coin set 1997

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »
WOW taciturn that is a phenomenal bimetal panda set ... I want one like that !!! Great score man !!!  :w00t:

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
Yep, that's good advice. If you buy bullion, you want the cheapest bullion available, with no premium at all if possible.
This is off subject, but let me know if you find gold/silver bullion with little or no premium-I'm all in!! The Sprott physical silver CEF (PSLV) has traded at a premium to NAV of 15-23% since it came to market (took them almost three months to get their silver). The Comex is paying at least a 30% dollar premium for contract holders not to take delivery at settlement. I find it telling that the cheapest gold to buy earlier this year was the Sprott physical gold CEF (PHYS) that was trading at less than 1.8% to NAV. It has moved up to about 4% to NAV, but as the PM's enter the parabolic move of phase three of this bull market, I expect the premiums on these CEF's to go to 30-50% -or more. The Sprott CEF's have fully allocated metal to back their outstanding shares-unlike GLD/SLV. This is long, but well worth watching....  

http://goldsilver.com/video/debt-collapse-the-case-for-20-000-gold-mike-maloney-full-presentation/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:28:43 PM by Grip »

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
Hi,

here another buy today.
Panda Bimetallic coin set 1997

These are totally awesome! Great Job!!

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
I know these pictures are horrible but I took them with my Iphone.
I looked at the coins under magnification and they appeared in excellent shape. 

Here are four gold pandas just in from APMEX in OMP that I sent off yesterday to NCS/NCG
1983 1 oz Gold Panda
2005 1 oz Gold Panda
1982 .25 oz Gold Panda
2011 .25 oz Gold Panda

They are nothing exotic but it is gold and they are pandas so I’m happy. :001_smile:
I hope the early dates get a 68/69. Most of these were mishandled and the higher grades are tough to find.

Offline buynicething

« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
Its not gold like comeaux's beautiful pandas, but it is the only 70

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »

AWESOME!!

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
wow buynicething that coin is phenomenal ... congrats on the 70 !!!

I don't know much about those coins but from what I do know I believe this one is very rare and highly valuable isn't it?

What would this coin auction off at? Oh yea I see you've had it NCS conserved as well ... very nice !

good on you man for such a nice collectible !

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »

I love the design of your coin and it looks really nice! Congratulations on getting the 70.

Offline exchange

« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »
Here they are, 1995 Kwan Yin 1/2 ounce silver set with mintage of 3,000 in OMP and 1995 Mazu 1/2 ounce silver coin with mintage of 8000 all double sealed with COA.
Now why would I send them to the slaughter house, just the thought    :scared:

exchange

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »
Most of these were mishandled and the higher grades are tough to find.
yes grip you have a valid point here and that is a concern for me. My last gold panda (new orleans 1987) graded at 69 so I am optimistic and these coins did look pretty good although the pics were horribe, the plastic on the older coins affected the pics too.

Well I may know by tomorrow as I expedited them (I'm impatient) and called today, they were printing the labels so hopefully quality control/finalized/imaged/shipped tomorrow !   :001_smile:

Offline exchange

« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
1995 Kwan Yin 1/2 ounce double sealed set with COA in OMP

exchange

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »
Now why would I send them to the slaughter house, just the thought    :scared:
exchange
I'm a strong beleiver in NCS/NGC however in my opinion coins such as this should be left as they are.

Offline exchange

« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »
I'm a strong beleiver in NCS/NGC however in my opinion coins such as this should be left as they are.

Thank you.

Your gold Pandas are magnificent, I still have all of mine in OMP. I also just received the 2001D 1 ounce.

exchange

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
Very nice 2001-D !!! :001_smile: I still need to get this one.

I am just starting to begin sending in some of my 1 oz gold pandas to NGC and will be getting more out of the bank next week to send in as well.

Yea I know there has been alot of discussion about graded verses OMP and i think both sides have valid reasons to support their views, I think it's just a matter of preference.

Although I do have the majority of my S10Y pandas graded, I still have many in OMP and will never grade such as my 5oz's, commemoratives & 2007 Anniversary set.

I buy and have bought nearly every one of my pandas in OMP before having them graded and have done well but many still remain in OMP and will always be in that state.

There are situations such as am MS69 2000 Mirror or MS69 1995 Micro that I felt better buying NGC graded.

In any case, all of these coins you have uploaded I am 100% behind you that I would not graded them as well.

They are beautiful, rare & just as valuable as they sit right now. That is just my opinion.

Very , very nice coins indeed man  :001_smile:

Offline exchange

« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
Very nice 2001-D !!! :001_smile: I still need to get this one.

I am just starting to begin sending in some of my 1 oz gold pandas to NGC and will be getting more out of the bank next week to send in as well.

Yea I know there has been alot of discussion about graded verses OMP and i think both sides have valid reasons to support their views, I think it's just a matter of preference.

Although I do have the majority of my S10Y pandas graded, I still have many in OMP and will never grade such as my 5oz's, commemoratives & 2007 Anniversary set.

I buy and have bought nearly every one of my pandas in OMP before having them graded and have done well but many still remain in OMP and will always be in that state.

There are situations such as am MS69 2000 Mirror or MS69 1995 Micro that I felt better buying NGC graded.

In any case, all of these coins you have uploaded I am 100% behind you that I would not graded them as well.

They are beautiful, rare & just as valuable as they sit right now. That is just my opinion.

Very , very nice coins indeed man  :001_smile:

Thank you.

Very good points. Do you keep the OMP?  When you sell your graded coins one day, you can include their OMP and grade receipts so it proves to the buyer you were the original owner prior to them been graded. That could increase the confidence of the buyer knowing who the original owner was before it was removed from the pouch.

sincerely,
exchange

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
Thank you.

Very good points. Do you keep the OMP?  When you sell your graded coins one day, you can include their OMP and grade receipts so it proves to the buyer you were the original owner prior to them been graded. That could increase the confidence of the buyer knowing who the original owner was before it was removed from the pouch.

sincerely,
exchange

I totally agree with this. Even if I buy graded coins, I would like the OMP to be included.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Do you keep the OMP?
I must have swallowed some dumb pills which hindered logical thinking so no I did not keep the OMP but really wish I would have for all the reasons you have stated, not to mention it would have made it possible to identify the various mints on certain coins. This was a newbie mistake on my part. :(

From this point forward I will be keeping the OMP on all of my coins before grading.

On a side note I’m curious why gold pandas are not double sealed? Since gold is much softer than silver this only would seem sensible. I’m hoping that future mintages of gold pandas are double sealed and that the silver coins would revert back to double seal packaging. 

Offline digbird

« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
Nice set of Kuwan Yin's "exchange"...I like them in the OMP's.

Comeaux raises a good point. Why aren't the gold pieces double sealed from the mint? Would have perhaps saved one of my coins. I just received it in the mail, and upon opening the package the seal on one end of the pouch was cracked because it was dry and the coin fell out and rolled out of my dinning room and into my kitchen. Rim nicks on my dragon. The air was blue in my house for a few hours. To bad the China mints don't have a suggestion box? cheers   

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
I guess this 1983 grading at MS69 further substantiates that gold coins left in their OMP for 30 years can remain in mint condition.  :001_smile:

I was bummed about the 1982 as being “tooled” as it was also in OMP and I have always gotten very good NGC grades from my APMEX pandas which made this particular one anomalous.

Good news is I sent this NGC order to APMEX and they amiably agreed to issue me a credit or exchange plus pay shipping and grading cost so no buzzkill for me ! :001_smile:   

Offline Grip

• Supporter
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Superb grade for the 83!!! Congrat's...

Underbidder

« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
"I was bummed about the 1982 as being “tooled” as it was also in OMP ..."

In looking more closely, it appears maybe the mint pouch was resealed..?..

Offline catfury

« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
My favorite Chinese coin series -- Bronze age finds / Unearthed Artifacts. This is a 1992 set.
Fyi, this series is one of a very few Chinese coin series THAT DO NOT have nation's (People's Republic of China) name on either side.. This is actually quite weird, or even possibly a design error, they have face values because they are legal tenders. Few other examples are some 1980 lunar coins and some early sports theme sets. 
Anyway they are really beautiful.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »
Congrats! Gorgeous coins! They are hard to find in 69. Any idea how i can get my hands on the Resting Deer & the Lantern one.

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
Congratulations Catfury! These are good looking coins. I'm always interested to see the rare and beautiful coins that members of this forum have on their collection.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:47 PM »
In looking more closely, it appears maybe the mint pouch was resealed..?..
Maybe it was just the picture but no it was not resealed from what I could tell. I inspect all of my OMP very closely and to the best of my ability I could not visually see any signs of being resealed. The APMEX director of Numismatics was very cool about it and said of the 4 he had remaining he would pick the best one in his opinion for my replacement. That plus paying grading/shipping is a fair business deal. I'm happy with it ...

Oh and awesome bunch of coins you have there catfury very nice set indeed  :001_smile:

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #284 on: August 24, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
Got this in from NCS/NGC a day ago ... just another crappy panda from APMEX but I'm happy with it  :001_smile:

I know everyone has noticed the huge delay when submitting "World Modern" to NGC which is now about 30 to 40 working days but I have noticed that when submitting through NCS my orders like that have processed much faster.

For example one of the orders I am waiting on was submitted to NCS on 8-9-11 and I checked online today, it's already in quality control today !

Here is the 1987 that I got from Panda America last month for $1,708 and it also graded PF69 ... I really like this coin.

Underbidder

« Reply #285 on: August 24, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
Nice !  I see a lot of those 1987 New Orleans that don't grade that well. That one is gorgeous.  Worth a cool 1k more than you paid, at that grade.   That gets a strong UB :thumbup1:

Offline buynicething

« Reply #286 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Just got my first Munich.
I am wondering though if this is the original seal.
I have never seen anything like it.

Offline exchange

« Reply #287 on: August 25, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
Just got my first Munich.
I am wondering though if this is the original seal.
I have never seen anything like it.

The seal looks like its from the Shenyeng mint. Do you have the COA because that is key. Usually on the COA it is indicated where the coin was minted.

exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #288 on: August 25, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
The seal looks like its from the Shenyeng mint. Do you have the COA because that is key. Usually on the COA it is indicated where the coin was minted.

exchange

also wanted to add..... the plastic pouch appears to be from the Shenyeng mint, if on the COA it also confirms that, chances are it is an original seal.

exchange

Offline Devlin

« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
I had a great morning at a local coin shop ! 

A 2002 Gold Panda 1/2 oz in the original packaging for $920.00

A 1999 Gold Panda  1/10 oz (large date) in the original packaging for $200.00

A 1984 Gold Panda 1/4 oz in the presentation box for $453.00 

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
These are my 1994 Small Date Gold Panda and a 2000 Frosted Gold Panda in OMP.  These pandas will be sent to NCS and NGC for conservation and grading this Monday.  Wish me luck on the grading.  They will be my first gold pandas to be submitted for grading.  Being a rookie on CCF,  NGC recommends that you place each coin in a non-pvc coin flip prior to shipment.  I usually follow their recommendations.  Does any CCF members send your Chinese Pandas in their OMP during shipment? I was thinking about doing this as a another means of verifying authenticity of the coin.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
Panda Express.
Great Questions:
For double sealed coins such as your 2000 I never break them from their double seal.
In fact, I typically request that the capsule be returned to me.
Chinese modern coins have the advantage of already being in a plastic pouch. Not all coins come this way so NGC/NCS prefers that they be sent with this method of protection. This is probably a general rule to avoid receiving something like a sock full of old randomized coins they have to dump out on a bench. You have to think in terms of the average coin submitted and Chinese coins are typically above average. I know some people that put them into the recommended non-PVC flips but I simply leave mine in the original plastic. They have been this way for years and the likelihood of them getting damaged further by removing them yourself is probably greater than if you just left them where they were. That being said, I actually believe original sealed coins do not offer sufficient protection from sliding around and getting damaged so I have developed my own personal way to double seal and protect them during shipment. What I do is buy Coin World plastic holders (that typically come with some random sized insert). Then I take the insert out and put my coin inside with it in the original plastic. I fold the flap of the original mint packaging over the coin to offer a bit more padding and to ensure that it doesn’t slide around. I then take all the coin world holders which actually stack very nicely and sandwich them together with a rubber band adding double seal coins on the end then I send them in this way. I’m sure people have other probably less complicated methods but this seems to work for me so I thought I’d share with the community. Coin World holders can be had for $2-$3 and they seem like a good investment. You will not get them back though so it adds a modest fee to your bottom line. I have never had the privilege…. Er… I mean inkling to send in 1 ounce coins but I’d imagine this process would work there too.
PH

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »
Hello Panda Express … very nice Gold Pandas you have here !

The gold pandas up above in my post were sent to NCS where I did just as Panda Halves instructed you and all was fine. I submit my gold pandas to NCS/NGC exactly as Panda Halves has conveyed for the exact same reasons, on the NCS form below each coin entry I type in “Please conserve NCS then grade/encapsulate NGC. Please return all original mint packaging”. 

For some reason I have found when I submit directly to NGC, I don’t always get the mint packaging back but when submitted to NCS before NGC … I always get it back so I don’t know why but that has been my experience.

Good luck on your submission !!!  :001_smile:

Offline exchange

« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »
These are my 1994 Small Date Gold Panda and a 2000 Frosted Gold Panda in OMP.  These pandas will be sent to NCS and NGC for conservation and grading this Monday.  Wish me luck on the grading.  They will be my first gold pandas to be submitted for grading.  Being a rookie on CCF,  NGC recommends that you place each coin in a non-pvc coin flip prior to shipment.  I usually follow their recommendations.  Does any CCF members send your Chinese Pandas in their OMP during shipment? I was thinking about doing this as a another means of verifying authenticity of the coin.

Gorgeous coins, especially the double sealed 2000. Considering only two years (2000 and 1999) where the gold pandas were double sealed, it really is a shame to send them out. 

exchange

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
PH, I certainly learn something new every time I view this forum especially coming from CCF members whom I routinely follow.  I will certainly keep these gold pandas in their original pouches as recommended by you during shipment.  I will also request for the OMP.  Thanks for your advise.  On another side note,  I see you have a beautiful rare 1994 half oz. panda as your coin logo.  Your coin has a very limited mintage of  16,788 with only 2000 coins in BU condition.  In the not to distant future,  I would like to complete a 1994 small date collection.   

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
Gorgeous coins, especially the double sealed 2000. Considering only two years (2000 and 1999) where the gold pandas were double sealed, it really is a shame to send them out. 

exchange

Exchange, most of my panda collections are in slabbed NGC coin holders which I prefer over OMP.  I had second thoughts on sending my 2000 frosted panda for grading for the same reason you just stated. From an investment perspective since I am holding my collection for at least 5-10 years, would certified graded coins have an advantage over OMP? I would definitely like to hear your thoughts concerning this matter.

Thanks.

Panda Express

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
Hello Comeaux!  Thanks for those encouraging words.  I will definitely be needing it during my upcoming NGC grading.  I also want to congratulate you for your high scores on your gorgeous looking 1 oz gold pandas.  Incidentally, you are 2 years ahead of me, and I am holding on to my collection for all the same reasons when your first introduce yourself to the forum. 

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »
I see you have a beautiful rare 1994 half oz. panda as your coin logo.  Your coin has a very limited mintage of  16,788 with only 2000 coins in BU condition.  In the not to distant future,  I would like to complete a 1994 small date collection.  

The 1994 BU coins are sweet but this one is something even more special  :001_smile:
Notice the small "P" to the left of the Panda's back? It is the proof version not BU.

Authorized mintage is 2,000
Actual Mintage is 903
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:13:25 AM by Panda Halves »

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #298 on: August 27, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »
I am holding on to my collection for all the same reasons when you first introduce yourself to the forum.
It’s great to see someone else collecting for the same reasons! My wife joking claims I am much too enthusiastic with this panda collection for it to be only for our son but honestly that is most of the excitement building this collection. Panda Collector stated “nothing like a new arrival in the family to give dad a sharper focus” and he is right on with that statement.

Here are the pictures of gold pandas I submitted yesterday and as you can see they are exactly as Panda Halves did as well. This is two 1 oz & five .25 oz pandas and as you can see they are not exciting dates but hey they are gold pandas ... much better than any American Eagle or Canadian Maple ! :laugh:

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
Maybe it was just the picture but no it was not resealed from what I could tell. I inspect all of my OMP very closely and to the best of my ability I could not visually see any signs of being resealed. The APMEX director of Numismatics was very cool about it and said of the 4 he had remaining he would pick the best one in his opinion for my replacement. That plus paying grading/shipping is a fair business deal. I'm happy with it ...

Oh and awesome bunch of coins you have there catfury very nice set indeed  :001_smile:

How did you get in touch with the Director of Numismatics? It would be great if one can buy a coin and the seller will say that he or she will choose the best coin if there are multiple coins available.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
Apparently my email to apmex returns department expressing dissatisfaction was forwarded to him and then he responded to me. The fact that my membership there is now “gold member” may have had some influence but I’m not sure. All I know is that he did as promised … I just received my replacement 1982 panda in OMP today and from what I can tell under magnification he did an excellent job picking one for me. :001_smile:
I’ll be sending it to NCS/NGC on Monday so I will soon find out what it grades.

Here are the pictures which are not that great because of the plastic but the coin looks phenomenal.

Offline exchange

« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »

Hi Panda Express,

I hold bullion and then I hold Pandas. Pandas to me is something I will sell last if at all. It is surely an investment just like my bullion, but unlike my bullion it has significant numismatic value even though Pandas were originally meant as bullion. It is because they were meant as bullion with low mintages they are so much sought after.

Most in this forum will grade any coin that comes across their hands because of the conservation theory and what "supposely" NGC does to protect coins long term. Many articles on that subject have been written and both sides have valid points. When a coin comes in a plastic pouch and all coins from the series have the same OMP I guess grading them isn't a big deal, but when out of all those years, only two of them come in a different OMP such as double sealed then I believe paying for plastic will come into play........ (resealing is another issue).

Before I sell any of my Pandas, I will sell every other coin I have. The gold pandas I hope to leave to my children one day. I am very fortunate to have started buying Pandas in 2008 and premiums for them back them were non existent.

Sincerely,
exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »
It’s great to see someone else collecting for the same reasons! My wife joking claims I am much too enthusiastic with this panda collection for it to be only for our son but honestly that is most of the excitement building this collection. Panda Collector stated “nothing like a new arrival in the family to give dad a sharper focus” and he is right on with that statement.

Here are the pictures of gold pandas I submitted yesterday and as you can see they are exactly as Panda Halves did as well. This is two 1 oz & five .25 oz pandas and as you can see they are not exciting dates but hey they are gold pandas ... much better than any American Eagle or Canadian Maple ! :laugh:

Spectacular coins. One regret I have when I started buying Pandas in 2008, I only concentrated on the 1 ounces, I never bothered looking at the fractionals. I was paying something like $30 to $40 over spot for most of the Pandas I got. Back then I just did not want to pay the higher premiums for the fractionals compare to the 1 ounces..........  oh well at least I have all the one ounces.

exchange

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2011, 11:45:55 PM »
Hi Panda Express,

I hold bullion and then I hold Pandas. Pandas to me is something I will sell last if at all. It is surely an investment just like my bullion, but unlike my bullion it has significant numismatic value even though Pandas were originally meant as bullion. It is because they were meant as bullion with low mintages they are so much sought after.

Most in this forum will grade any coin that comes across their hands because of the conservation theory and what "supposely" NGC does to protect coins long term. Many articles on that subject have been written and both sides have valid points. When a coin comes in a plastic pouch and all coins from the series have the same OMP I guess grading them isn't a big deal, but when out of all those years, only two of them come in a different OMP such as double sealed then I believe paying for plastic will come into play........ (resealing is another issue).

Before I sell any of my Pandas, I will sell every other coin I have. The gold pandas I hope to leave to my children one day. I am very fortunate to have started buying Pandas in 2008 and premiums for them back them were non existent.

Sincerely,
exchange

Hello Exchange, I certainly share the same sentiments on owning bullion and numismatic gold panda coins.  During the early part of 2008, I too began to invest in gold and silver bullion mostly gold eagles, buffalo, and Canadian maple leafs strictly as a means of preservation of wealth and investment.  I also bought pre-1933 British sovereigns as another means of asset protection from the remote possibility that the US government may nationalize gold.  From a historical perspective dating back from the Great Depression, holders of numismatic gold coins were protected from Executive Order No. 6102.  My only mistake was not investing in modern Chinese numismatic coins at the time.  I only started collecting and investing in Chinese gold and silver coins during the early part of this year.  I just hope the prices of panda bullion and proofs do not sky rocket to fast to the point that it will be out of reach for most collectors and investors alike. Due to limited mintages of panda coins and the gaining popularity of these beautiful rarities, I soon began to realize that these coins were far outpacing my other investments which began my interest in these coins.  Additionally, considering modern gold panda bullion may be subject to the possible nationalization of gold, I have all my panda collections slabbed and certified by 3rd party grading companies preferably NGC to preserve its numismatic significance as compared to holding OMP Chinese panda coins.

Cheers!

Panda Express

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »
The 1994 BU coins are sweet but this one is something even more special 
Notice the small "P" to the left of the Panda's back? It is the proof version not BU.

Authorized mintage is 2,000
Actual Mintage is 903

Wow Panda Halves!  You really have a winning 1994 Panda half proof, a true gem.  I totally overlooked that peculiarity of your coin. I may need to get my eyes checked out. lol.   :001_rolleyes:

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
oh well at least I have all the one ounces.
exchange
Yea that's a bummer when all you have is multiple one ounce gold pandas !!!  :w00t:
I'm just kidding you but no really that's really totally awesome to have all of the one ounce gold pandas, very nice !

I'm kind of like you with the fractionals and predominately I buy the one ounce gold pandas but more and more lately I've been picking up the fractionals as well to complete my sets. I have a really nice order in route to me now and plan on getting more of the fractionals in the future.

Panda Halves that is an extremly nice/rare panda you have in your collection bud ! :001_smile: 

Offline Devlin

« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
Just picked up another 1/10 1999 Panda this morning.

Offline arksight

« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »