Author Topic: "Martin Weiss Video: Chinese Panda Coins" NGC Coin Videos  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)

Offline eric

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: "Martin Weiss Video: Chinese Panda Coins" NGC Coin Videos
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
cool video thanks!

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
That was very good!!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Could not find the topic so this will do.   Dragonzeng has several Martin Weiss medals for sale.....    PF 69 Piedfort $450  Ebay 162313164913      PF 70 Piedfort  Ebay 162351853567   $1,350    99 mintage        It was mentioned these are private mint?.........

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
Could not find the topic so this will do.   Dragonzeng has several Martin Weiss medals for sale.....    PF 69 Piedfort $450  Ebay 162313164913      PF 70 Piedfort  Ebay 162351853567   $1,350    99 mintage        It was mentioned these are private mint?.........

Yes, they are from a private mint.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »
When i started collecting a few years ago, private mint were taboo.     Today some private mint are prized.     The gap between private and official mint gets smaller........

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
Not sure that's proven. A few random sales on ebay aren't enough to support this. 95-99% of market is in China. Until the data there backs it up, I wouldn't want newbies to jump onto whatever is being hyped the loudest by U.S medal pushers.

Potential Chinese coin/ medal owners can keep it simple by:

1/ only buying what you really like/love

2/ research historical pricing to ensure you are not dead in the water at the beginning by paying 100's or 1000's % more than current market value.

3/ not getting caught up in following someone like they are a guru. Do your own due diligence and think for yourself!

Offline bender9876

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
Well spoken, Sir

Offline eric

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
What do you guys think of the Martin Weiss medal? As an avid panda collector I'm certainly thankful for how he created this market. He deserves to be immortalized on a medal for that. But as a collector I have mixed feelings about the medal. I think the tri-metal is cool. But do Chinese collectors want a portrait of Martin Weiss, or was this created just to sell to the US market...

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
 I worship the panda god; not some guy I never met and had not contributed in helping to pay for my next panda gold  :lol:

Offline eric

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
The gap between private and official mint gets smaller........

I've observed this phenomenon to an extent too. It seems like some private mints are creating better and better products, meanwhile some official mints are going crazy with special releases. It's like more and more of the "official" releases are basically private deals done with individuals and companies.

Still, I'm glad that the "official" designation exists for China mints, because the private mint business in China seems like the wild west. Just look at ebay. There is a crazy amount of fake Chinese coins being sold. Likewise those private mints can create so-called limited releases, which may not be limited. They can make fake silver, fake currency, and fake scarcity all day long.

One way that they have generated some trust is by putting the name of a trusted organization (like a coin show), or individual (like Weiss) on the product. Or if NGC accepts it as a part of a registry set. I have bought some of those kinds of medals. But those are the rare exception for me.

I hate to stereotype because I'm sure there are some highly reputable private mints, but for me as a collector the bad ones give them all a bad name, and because of that I would much rather collect official mint releases.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:19 PM »
I've observed this phenomenon to an extent too. It seems like some private mints are creating better and better products, meanwhile some official mints are going crazy with special releases. It's like more and more of the "official" releases are basically private deals done with individuals and companies.

Still, I'm glad that the "official" designation exists for China mints, because the private mint business in China seems like the wild west. Just look at ebay. There is a crazy amount of fake Chinese coins being sold. Likewise those private mints can create so-called limited releases, which may not be limited. They can make fake silver, fake currency, and fake scarcity all day long.

One way that they have generated some trust is by putting the name of a trusted organization (like a coin show), or individual (like Weiss) on the product. Or if NGC accepts it as a part of a registry set. I have bought some of those kinds of medals. But those are the rare exception for me.

I hate to stereotype because I'm sure there are some highly reputable private mints, but for me as a collector the bad ones give them all a bad name, and because of that I would much rather collect official mint releases.

Few large high relief copper medals (D>60mm)with limited mintage (<100) were minted by private mint as early as 2003. They were marketed as collectible arts and have appreciated significantly during last ten years. The majority of recent low mintage medals issued by China Mint  were commissioned by individual investors for profit or institutions for commemorating event related to the institutions. Those medals, unlike the legal tender of coins, do not need approved by the China Gold Coins Inc. or People's Bank of China and considered to be the high profit margin item for three official Mints. The distribution of those medals are controlled by few dealers, usually less than three, therefore, the price is usually high. The chance of further appreciation of valuation is very limited.

Very few medals were commissioned and issued by China Gold Coins Inc. during last few years. The most recent one is 2016 large lunar (monkey) copper medal (D=80mm and 45mm) with Mintage of 2,000 and 6,000 for respective size. It was sold at China Gold Coins' retail stores. It is my understanding that  the issue price is RMB 650 for 80mm medal and the current price is about RMB 1,200. Since it is rare for a medal commissioned by China Gold Coins Inc., pictures of this medals are attached.

Not sure that's proven. A few random sales on ebay aren't enough to support this. 95-99% of market is in China. Until the data there backs it up, I wouldn't want newbies to jump onto whatever is being hyped the loudest by U.S medal pushers.

2/ research historical pricing to ensure you are not dead in the water at the beginning by paying 100's or 1000's % more than current market value.

3/ not getting caught up in following someone like they are a guru. Do your own due diligence and think for yourself!

+1, great advice.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »

For me new issue, low mintage medals is not a priority.     However, i do really like Peter's Heart silver panda as it has the best design of all of them.   Lots of very positive response from collectors.    For artists like Feng Yunming i did the research.    Have asked many top collectors/dealers on this forum and in China.    Feng has a following and many think very highly of him.    Many could care less.   I believe those that have a high opinion and reasoning why, so am on board w/ Feng.    Simple research of asking top collectors/dealers in the West & East can get us in the right direction as these top people do not post their opinions.    It is good to listen to both pro and con to make up our own minds.    Some members here are quietly buying up his medals and not posting.    Coins are the priority, as usual, not early year medals at this time but medals are becoming more accepted.     Most MCC that are discovered/known are priced higher than unknown MCC & artists so i like the undervalued.     Always looking for a diamond in the rough and i believe this market has them.......I also like the Empire small silver UNC as the UNC silver dollar market leads the way.....Collecting is for me, not selling unless bills force my hand....