Author Topic: Peoples Repulic of China Fen coins  (Read 82902 times)

Offline DavidTucker

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Peoples Repulic of China Fen coins
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 10:47:15 PM »
fwang2450, thanks for the info. It was very helpful. It looks like nearly all of the coins from the 1950's to the 1970's are worth considerably more than I paid for them many years ago. Luckily, I had bought all of the earlier Fen coins when they were dirt cheap, I already had every circulating issue for all three denominations up through the early 1990's (plus a few of the non-circulating items from mint or proof sets only). I recently got back into trying to collect a complete set of all circulating PRC coins, and now I am basically working on trying to get all of the more recent circulating issues. As such, I recently picked up examples of the 2000 1 Fen coin, along with the entire run of 1 Fen coins between 2005 and 2013, which completed my set of all circulating 1, 2 & 5 Fen coins (leaving only the ones issued only in sets not obtained).

All of the higher denomination coins from the 1990's onward appear to be cheap and rather easy to obtain, so it probably won't be much longer before I have ALL of the actual circulating issues for the PRC (not including the so-called "circulating" commemoratives). I haven't decided whether or not to collect those as well, since there seems to be some question as to which actually circulated and which were produced only for sale to collectors. I suppose I will do some more research on those before deciding whether or not to add them to my collection as well.

P.S. I also have a rather nice collection of PRC banknotes as well, with only a few pieces missing (all of which are probably now too expensive for me to afford).

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2015, 12:52:28 AM »
fwang2450, thanks for the info. It was very helpful. It looks like nearly all of the coins from the 1950's to the 1970's are worth considerably more than I paid for them many years ago. Luckily, I had bought all of the earlier Fen coins when they were dirt cheap, I already had every circulating issue for all three denominations up through the early 1990's (plus a few of the non-circulating items from mint or proof sets only). I recently got back into trying to collect a complete set of all circulating PRC coins, and now I am basically working on trying to get all of the more recent circulating issues. As such, I recently picked up examples of the 2000 1 Fen coin, along with the entire run of 1 Fen coins between 2005 and 2013, which completed my set of all circulating 1, 2 & 5 Fen coins (leaving only the ones issued only in sets not obtained).

All of the higher denomination coins from the 1990's onward appear to be cheap and rather easy to obtain, so it probably won't be much longer before I have ALL of the actual circulating issues for the PRC (not including the so-called "circulating" commemoratives). I haven't decided whether or not to collect those as well, since there seems to be some question as to which actually circulated and which were produced only for sale to collectors. I suppose I will do some more research on those before deciding whether or not to add them to my collection as well.

P.S. I also have a rather nice collection of PRC banknotes as well, with only a few pieces missing (all of which are probably now too expensive for me to afford).
There is one caveat. Those are graded coins and the grading cost is included. You need to deduct the grading cost in order to evaluate the cost of a raw coin against yours.

It is very interesting to meet someone who only collects coins which have been in circulation. In the US, it may be the norm, but with modern Chinese coins, many are attracted to commemoratives. However, even early Chinese circulating commemoratives were in fact in circulation on their face value, like the US State Quarters. Later on such commemorative coins could not make it into circulation because investors started to hoard them in large quantities. I don't believe that you get around the proof sets though, as some years are available only in the proof version, like the Great Wall coins.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2015, 02:59:55 AM »
This inexpensive set of fens has the circulations strikes from 2005-2011 in it.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia/i]
www.pandacollector.com

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2015, 05:36:44 AM »
Hi fwang2450, thanks for the caveat. Considering the fact that 100 RMB is the lowest amount quoted, and considering the fact that at current exchange rates, 100 RMB is equal to around $16.26 US, I can safely conclude that the price for grading probably isn’t over $15.00, which means that any raw coins priced for that amount aren’t worth much ungraded. However, I have two really nice examples of the 1959 2 Fen (one for my PRC collection and one for my wife’s birth year collection), so it appears as though those are worth a tidy sum, whether graded or not (and both of them would probably grade at least MS65).

Now, the reason that I only collect the regular circulating issues is because many countries around the world go completely overboard with regard to issuing commemoratives (mostly as a money making venture) and the costs can be quite high for many issues. Actually, I did recently buy the three coin set of the 70th anniversary of the CCP issues, since I figured they had special significance, as opposed to something like the Planting Trees Festival or the Children’s Year coins, just to name a couple of examples. I may go ahead at some point and buy a few others, such as the Mao coin, but I do not envision trying to collect all of the commemoratives.

As far as the older 1980 to 1986 issues are concerned, I most definitely don’t have the money to be able to afford the proof sets, or even the 1980 & 1981 mint sets, so I suppose I will have to be satisfied with trying to complete the actual circulating dates only. The only reason that I have the 1979 mint set and the 1982 proof set is because I bought them a couple of decades ago when they were extremely cheap. If I had only known how high the price would get for the other sets, I would have been more aggressive in trying to locate them as well. I suppose that’s why hindsight is always better than foresight, huh?

At any rate, I do appreciate all of your help. Perhaps you could let me know what the 1, 2 & 5 Jiao and 1 Yuan coins for the years 1980, 1983 and 1984 would cost in uncirculated condition. I do know that they are nearly impossible to find (although the 1981 and 1985 dates, minus the 1985 2 Jiao coin, which is proof only, are easy enough to find). Of course, the 1981 & 1985 coins are also the only ones I already own (except for the aforementioned 1982 proof set). However, if I can find circulation strikes of the 1980, 1983 and 1984 coins at a reasonable price, I will go ahead and buy them. Otherwise, I will probably have to give up any thought of being able to add them to my collection (unless I find some for sale from someone who has no idea what they ae worth, which isn’t likely).

Thanks again for all of your help.

David

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »
Hi Peter, thanks for the picture of that set. I have noticed that the Chinese mint has issued a number of differing sets of the Fen coins, and I wonder if anyone is cataloging them all. For instance, I recently bought a 1991 3 coin set (1, 2 & 5 Fen) that came in a plastic holder enclosed in a colorful cardboard slipcase. I have also seen a set similar to the one you provided a picture of, but it also had the 2012 1 Fen coin in it as well. I figure that most of those sets are rather inexpensive, so it might be interesting (and possibly quite profitable someday) to collect all of them as well. Perhaps someone on this thread may have more information as to what different Fen sets are available? If so, please post a list of the sets available and the contents of each. Thanks.

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
Hi fwang2450,
Thats fantastic.
Thank you very much for the attachment.
I appreciate it.
Best wishes.
Sequoia

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2015, 08:38:15 AM »
DavidTucker,
Welcome to CCF!

CCF member poconopenn also collects fens and he has great wealth of knowlege about them and is willing to share.  You can do a search: by user: poconopenn, Search for: fen  Some examples from the search:

What he wrote about the fen of 1980's:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=218.msg570#msg570

Watch out for fakes:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=381.msg16683#msg16683
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=8785.0

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »
Hi Peter, thanks for the picture of that set. I have noticed that the Chinese mint has issued a number of differing sets of the Fen coins, and I wonder if anyone is cataloging them all. For instance, I recently bought a 1991 3 coin set (1, 2 & 5 Fen) that came in a plastic holder enclosed in a colorful cardboard slipcase. I have also seen a set similar to the one you provided a picture of, but it also had the 2012 1 Fen coin in it as well. I figure that most of those sets are rather inexpensive, so it might be interesting (and possibly quite profitable someday) to collect all of them as well. Perhaps someone on this thread may have more information as to what different Fen sets are available? If so, please post a list of the sets available and the contents of each. Thanks.
Many of the holders for recent Fen releases are assembled privately, not by the Mint. I am not aware of recent Mint albums. It will take quite a few years for them to become rare. On the other hand, top grade early Fen coins are already rare, but the pricing is not out of reach.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
Hi fwang2450, thanks for the caveat. Considering the fact that 100 RMB is the lowest amount quoted, and considering the fact that at current exchange rates, 100 RMB is equal to around $16.26 US, I can safely conclude that the price for grading probably isn’t over $15.00, which means that any raw coins priced for that amount aren’t worth much ungraded. However, I have two really nice examples of the 1959 2 Fen (one for my PRC collection and one for my wife’s birth year collection), so it appears as though those are worth a tidy sum, whether graded or not (and both of them would probably grade at least MS65).

Now, the reason that I only collect the regular circulating issues is because many countries around the world go completely overboard with regard to issuing commemoratives (mostly as a money making venture) and the costs can be quite high for many issues. Actually, I did recently buy the three coin set of the 70th anniversary of the CCP issues, since I figured they had special significance, as opposed to something like the Planting Trees Festival or the Children’s Year coins, just to name a couple of examples. I may go ahead at some point and buy a few others, such as the Mao coin, but I do not envision trying to collect all of the commemoratives.

As far as the older 1980 to 1986 issues are concerned, I most definitely don’t have the money to be able to afford the proof sets, or even the 1980 & 1981 mint sets, so I suppose I will have to be satisfied with trying to complete the actual circulating dates only. The only reason that I have the 1979 mint set and the 1982 proof set is because I bought them a couple of decades ago when they were extremely cheap. If I had only known how high the price would get for the other sets, I would have been more aggressive in trying to locate them as well. I suppose that’s why hindsight is always better than foresight, huh?

At any rate, I do appreciate all of your help. Perhaps you could let me know what the 1, 2 & 5 Jiao and 1 Yuan coins for the years 1980, 1983 and 1984 would cost in uncirculated condition. I do know that they are nearly impossible to find (although the 1981 and 1985 dates, minus the 1985 2 Jiao coin, which is proof only, are easy enough to find). Of course, the 1981 & 1985 coins are also the only ones I already own (except for the aforementioned 1982 proof set). However, if I can find circulation strikes of the 1980, 1983 and 1984 coins at a reasonable price, I will go ahead and buy them. Otherwise, I will probably have to give up any thought of being able to add them to my collection (unless I find some for sale from someone who has no idea what they ae worth, which isn’t likely).

Thanks again for all of your help.

David

My prediction is that the UNC grade early Fen coins will continue to rise in value. Although their mintage was huge compared with commemorative coins, not that many UNC pieces have survived. Less have been graded than some silver coins with a 30k mintage. On the other hand, the collector base is lot larger.

Your 79 and 82 sets certainly have skyrocketed in value. But you do not have to regret not having bought more. Our forum member Bearcat can tell you his stories of the 80-86 proof sets.  :001_smile:

Here is the pricing info of the 80-85 Great Wall business strike coins (the set is called Great Wall because of the Great Wall design on the 1 Yuan coin): http://coin001.com/read.php?tid=59297. The Chinese 角 means Jiao, and the Chinese 元 means Yuan. The prices of the proof Great Wall coins are available here: http://coin001.com/read.php?tid=59298

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
Ebay 271728665681  1980 Blue folder 6 coin set  $699.99 BIN...........

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
DavidTucker

Welcome to the forum and congratulation for your excellent collection of fen sets. The current value of UNC (MS60-63) 1957, 1958, 1963 1 Fen and 1963 2 Fen is about $100 for each at current market inside China. They are still affordable. 1959 UNC 2 Fen is considered to be the toughest date. The highest grade by NGC is 66 and none by PCGS.

Here are pictures of   柳忠良’s book (172 pages with many pictures) for PRC circulated coin published in 1999. This book was revised in 2000. The information in many articles or books published after 2000 about PRC circulated coins were derived from this book. Unfortunately, very few authors of those recent articles have ever mentioned or gave credit to 柳忠良.

Here are his recent (2013) articles about fen coins.

http://www.jibi.net/news/QBBXW/85721321.html

http://www.jibi.net/news/QBBXW/82422124.html

Recently, he published another classical research paper about the first series PRC banknotes.

http://www.chinacang.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=33&id=10346

Here is the best summary article, IMO, about PRC fen coins.

http://bbs.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=231&Id=252956&page=1&star=1

The author of this article did give credit to and consider柳忠良 as mentor.

Unfortunately, all articles mentioned above are in Chinese.

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2015, 11:30:54 PM »
First impression, always interesting. Thank you very much!

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »
Hi,
The 1991 to 2000 Sets still seem to be fairly Cheap -- do you think they will remain Cheap ?
There are not that many Mint Sets issued -- and only 20,000 Proof Sets for most years.
I can't understand why the 1993 to 1999 Proof Sets are so Cheap when only 20,000 Sets of each year were issued.
Best wishes.
Sequoia.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
Just like other MCC, the valuation of the proof and mint sets have been fluctuated but not as significant as precious metal coins. It was peaked at later 2011, same as other MCC. The current value, in average, is still more than 200% higher than the value in 2010. In other words, the proof and mint sets are doing much better than other MCC in this down market.

Price on 9/28/2010

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=284&fpage=14

Price on 4/7/2011

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=2346&fpage=12

Price on 8/17/2011

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=4959&fpage=11

Price on 11/21/2011

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=7693&fpage=10

Price on 2/26/2012

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=10774&fpage=10

Price on 3/11/2013

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=24114&fpage=8

Price on 12/31/2013

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=40206&fpage=5

Price on 12/29/2014

http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=59140

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to the forum. Your assistance has been very helpful in answering many of my lingering questions. My main regret is that I did not finish my collection of the earlier (1980's) coins, especially the proof and mint set only issues (when I could have bought them for a price I could afford). As is, it is the coins in sets only that I am still missing for the older dates, but I am now trying to go ahead and assemble the rest of my circulating PRC collection, which mostly includes dome of the newer Jiao and Yuan coins that I have not yet obtained. Of course, all of those coins (from 1991 onward) are quite cheap (except for the ones only issued in sets), so I don't expect to have too much trouble (or expense) in finishing those off in short order. Perhaps I might get lucky and find some of the pricier items from dealers here in the US who don't know the true value of the sets. I've found that many US dealers (who mostly deal in US coins) don't always keep up with world coin prices, and it is possible to find real bargains now and then. The fact that the various Krause catalogs VASTLY underprice the value of most of the older PRC issues (1950's through the 1980's) is a hopeful sign. Also, as far as I know, there don't seem to be a lot of PRC coin collectors here in the US, which might also work in my favor. If I score anything for a bargain, I will definitely post it and let everyone know.

Once again, thanks for all of the help everyone has provided, It is truly appreciated. Now that I have found this site, I will be checking in on a regular basis for additional information that others may have.