Author Topic: Peoples Repulic of China Fen coins  (Read 80176 times)

Offline dennisma77

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Peoples Repulic of China Fen coins
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
fen coin is now very popular...

Offline Sequoia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
Hi,
I have a 2013 1 Fen Coin -- so clearly the 1 Fen Coin has been minted up 2013.
Does anyone know whether any 1 Fen Coins were minted in 2014 ?

Also is it still the case that no 2 Fen or 5 Fen Coins have been minted since 2000 ?

Also does anyone know the NGC and/or PCGS population numbers for the different grades for each of the Six Coins in the 2000 China PROOF Set ?

Best wishes.
Sequoia

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »
Also does anyone know the NGC and/or PCGS population numbers for the different grades for each of the Six Coins in the 2000 China PROOF Set ?

Best wishes.
Sequoia

Hi Sequoia,

This topic is admittedly outside my area of expertise, but I might be able to provide you with a quick response to point you in the right direction.  Try the following link to NGC's website.

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-census/world/china-cid-5

When you click on the data for FEN (or the other denominations), you see info that may be what you are looking for.  

For instance, for FEN http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-census/world/china-cid-5/china-peoples-republic-scid-77/denom-fen-yearmint-all-base

I've included a screen grab.  It looks like for the 2000 Proof FEN, the top grade appears to be PF69 at the moment and there a not many.

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
Birdman,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have been away from home for a week -- so sorry for the delay in responding.
now I am back I will have a good look at what you have provided.
Best wishes.
Sequoia

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but I have been collecting PRC coins for some time now and I have a few questions. Different sources give differing information as to the dates of some of the later Fen coins that were struck for circulation. Some references suggest that all 1, 2 and 5 Fen coins from 1992 to 2000 were available only in mint or proof sets, whereas other sources indicate that the 1 and 5 Fen coins may have been struck for circulation for the years 1997 through 2000.

I actually have a couple of examples of 1 Fen coins dated 2000 that most definitely appear to be circulation strikes (one obtained from a dealer in the US and the other obtained from a dealer in France). Therefore, I am inclined to think that at least that one date in the 1 Fen denomination actually WAS struck for circulation. If anyone could enlighten me as to which denominations from 1992 to 2000 were actually struck for circulation, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
David

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
Actually, let me make a correction to my above post. I know that the 1992 5 Fen coin was also a circulation strike, although the 1 and 2 Fen denominations were issued in proof & mint sets only. I actually meant to say the coins struck between 1993 and 2000, but hit the wrong number instead.

Incidentally, just to let everyone know, I have a complete collection of all of the circulation strike dates for the 1, 2 and 5 Fen denominations, although a few of the earlier 1 & 2 Fen coins (4 to be exact) need upgrading to uncirculated. I also have the elusive 3 Fen from 1979, which I removed from the 3 denomination mint set many years ago. I also still have the medallion that came with the set, but I can't find the original blue holder the coins came in (but I'm hoping I didn't throw it away).

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2015, 02:10:37 AM »
OK, let me now correct my correction. I meant to say that I have the elusive 5 Fen coin dated 1979 (not a 3 Fen coin, which obviously doesn't exist). Also, just to be clear, I have all of the circulation strikes in the 1, 2 and 5 Fen denominations, which does NOT include the ones made for proof or mint sets only (with the exception of the 1979 5 Fen coin mentioned previously).

I am also trying to find out more information on the Jiao and Yuan coins issued for the years 1980, 1983 and 1984. Supposedly these were all circulation strikes (along with the proof sets), but the only thing I have managed to find for those years is the proof and/or mint sets. I have the 1, 2, & 5 Jiao and the 1 Yuan dated 1981 and the 1 & 5 Jiao and the 1 Yuan dated 1985, along with a full 1982 proof set, but I am missing all of the Jiao and Yuan coins dated 1980, 1983, 1984 and 1986 (plus the 1985 2 Jiao, which was only issued in proof sets). I know the 1986 set is in proof only and is extremely rare, but I was hoping I could find the 1980, 1983 and 1984 issues for a reasonable price.

So, if anyone knows the actual rarity and/or value of these coins, along with possible availability, please let me know.

Offline aragog

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:05 AM »
Hi,
nice to hear that someone is at the same situation as me. Fen Alu coins are my passion.
And I also miss some information on the early circulation coins.
I have purchased a book on circulation coins but it is in chinese, so need to learn language first to understand things.
Krause makes some mistakes as in all other sections.
But I believe, that all but 5f1992 fen coins from 1992-2000 come from sets only.
I love 1979 coin set ( interestingly 1 fen from the set is also valuable as it comes from a different mint. If you do not collect variants we can exchange - I have some 1980 in doubles, single coins, as well as in black and blue holders.
1980 fen coins seem to come from sets only, but 5 fen I suspect was minted additionally as it is often can be seem in numis cards.
1981 year can be found from circulation, but I never saw a bu set in red folder for sale in europe. 1982 year seems to be only in PROOF sets (jiao and yuan coins), but fen coins were struck for circulation, 1983 is the most strange year, as I think there are some coins jiao and yuan meant for circulation  in unc condition, not only PROOF sets, fen coins can be found easily in unc condition. There are no sets in bu for 1983. Proof sets from 1984 are from two mints and at least for fen coins, those seem to be even rarer than 1985 PROOF set.
And 1986 set can be spotted once or twice a year for about $16000.
I have black or blue set for offer at cca 500 euro or single coins for 350 euro.
Set 1983 in PROOF you can buy for cca 550-600 euro and set 1984 simpler mint for about 1100 euro, I do not have those sets yet.

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
Hi,
My friend in China told me some time ago that all 1 Fen,2 Fen and 5 Fen Coins for all years 1992 to 2000 were only issued in sets except for :-
1992 5 Fen --- Was issued for Circulation
2000 1 Fen --- Was issued for Circulation

He also told me that the 2000 1 Jiao and the 2000 1 Yuan were only issued in Sets.
Best wishes.
Sequoia

Offline aragog

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »

He also told me that the 2000 1 Jiao and the 2000 1 Yuan were only issued in Sets.
Best wishes.
Sequoia
True, but only the  old design, and a new one was minted for circulation in large numbers.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »
I have all the information you guys need in English. It is from the circulating coin catalog that Sun Keqin will publish in the next couple of months. But I need to get his approval to release it before the catalog is officially published. I don't think it is problem, though.

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for your rapid replies to my questions. Your answers pretty much confirmed what I already suspected, but it always helps to get opinions and information from other collectors.

Now, to reply to each poster individually:

aragog – Thanks for the offer to sell me the sets you mentioned. Unfortunately, my finances are not such that I can afford them at this time, but if for some reason that happens to change, I will be in touch.

Sequoia – I was already certain about the 1992 5 Fen being issued for circulation, and considering tat I have a couple of 2000 1 Fen coins in normal uncirculated condition (i.e. NOT from either a mint or proof set), I was fairly certain that it too was issued in circulation quantities. However, I wasn’t quite sure about the others (especially the 1 & 5 Fen coins from 1997-2000). Every source indicates that all of the 1993 through 1996 issues in all three denominations are listed as in sets only but some references indicate that the 1997-2000 issues in 1 & 5 Fen were issued for circulation. Obviously, they are mistaken. It reminds me of the 1975 5 Fen coin that doesn’t exist, but that Krause keeps listing anyway. Maybe one day they will wise up and drop it from their listings.

fwang2450 – I would look forward to seeing the information you mentioned. Also, I wouldn’t mind acquiring a copy of the book when it is published, so keep us all informed as to when it is released and the title, along with any other info that will allow us all to find it when it becomes available.

Offline DavidTucker

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
P.S. When I bought both the 1979 mint set and the 1982 proof set many years ago, they were quite cheap. I paid less than $10.00 each for them. I only wish that I had been more persistent at the time in finding the other sets (especially the 1986 proof set). Unless I hit the lottery or something, I will have to be satisfied with merely collecting the issues that were actually issued for circulation. Of course, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I already have all of the circulating 1,2 and 5 Fen coins, but I could use upgrades on four of them (three different 1 Fen coins and one 2 Fen coin). The ones I need to upgrade are:

1 FEN
1957 - XF condition
1958 - VF condition
1961 - XF condition

2 FEN
1963 - AU condition

Any idea how much it would cost for each of the above coins in uncirculated condition? If too expensive, I may just have to settle for the ones I have now, but it would be great to replace them with uncirculated specimens if possible.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
Mr. Sun authorized the release of the translation on circulating coins. All the circulating coins up till now are listed in the attachment.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »
P.S. When I bought both the 1979 mint set and the 1982 proof set many years ago, they were quite cheap. I paid less than $10.00 each for them. I only wish that I had been more persistent at the time in finding the other sets (especially the 1986 proof set). Unless I hit the lottery or something, I will have to be satisfied with merely collecting the issues that were actually issued for circulation. Of course, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I already have all of the circulating 1,2 and 5 Fen coins, but I could use upgrades on four of them (three different 1 Fen coins and one 2 Fen coin). The ones I need to upgrade are:

1 FEN
1957 - XF condition
1958 - VF condition
1961 - XF condition

2 FEN
1963 - AU condition

Any idea how much it would cost for each of the above coins in uncirculated condition? If too expensive, I may just have to settle for the ones I have now, but it would be great to replace them with uncirculated specimens if possible.
You can refer to the pricing info here: http://coin001.com/read.php?tid=59299. The price is in Chinese Yuan.