Author Topic: Shanghai Ice, Cold, Storage & Refrigeration Company Limited tokens  (Read 798 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Shanghai Ice, Cold, Storage & Refrigeration Company Limited tokens
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:38:32 AM »
Dear Shanghai token lovers,

I would like to introduce you shortly 3 old Shanghai tokens from the Shanghai Ice, Cold, Storage & Refrigeration Company Limited.

This company is listed in the 1911 directory, but according to book about Shanghai tokens from 1991 the company was founded in 1912 and it was located on Yangtzepu Road in Shanghai on that time. John Prentice was chairman of the board of directors. Other directors were W. S. Burns and O. Thoresen. The company stoped exist in 1956.

There are 3 denominations: 10 LBS (10 pounds of ice), 15 LBS (15 pounds of ice) and 20 LBS (20 pounds of ice).

All 3 tokens are made of copper-nickel.

Diameter:

10 LBS: 26mm
15 LBS: 34mm
20LBS: 39mm

These token were issued in England in Birmingham Mint (Heaton Mint). If you will take a look on design of Hall & Holtz copper-nickel tokens: ONE LOAF and HALF LOAF, you will find something similar. It is possible that The S.I.C.S. & R. Co. Ltd. 10, 15 and 20 LBS tokens and Hall & Holtz one and half loaf tokens where issued by Heaton mint in the same time or The S.I.C.S. & R. Co. Ltd. 10, 15 and 20 LBS tokens were issued later. In both cases tokens were shipped to Shanghai.

Those tokens were used to buy number of pounds of ice, which was putting to wodden boxes as fridge substitution to store a food and other things.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)