Author Topic: H.Evans & Co. bread tokens (1858-1886)  (Read 928 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
H.Evans & Co. bread tokens (1858-1886)
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:45:47 AM »
Today I would like to tell you guys about H.Evans & Company and tokens which this company issued.

I mentioned about it in the post: "The mystery of bread token from old Shanghai (1895-1925)". However this company should be distinguish from Hall & Holtz even it is connected.

H.Evans & Co. was a small bakery. It was established by Englishman Henry Evans in 1858 in and acquired by Hall & Holtz Ltd. in 1886. It means that the company was in business for 28 years in Shanghai. Mr. Evans was a baker and his assistant in 1872 (according to "The Chronicle & Directory for China, Japan & The Philippines, for the year 1872") was Mr. Gabriel.

The company issued probably 4 bread tokens :

1) 4 loaves in brass or copper  with the griffin design
2) 2 loaves (the author of the book from 2005: "The Chips and Coupons in Old Shanghai" told me in person about it, but I have never seen one. So I can assume it must be very rare)
3a) 1 loaf in brass (varieties without and with square center hole exist)
3b) 1 loaf in zinc (I have never seen this one also)
4) 1/2 loaf in zinc with square center hole (the same case---have never seen)

All above bread tokens (except 2 loaves) are in a possession of the HK & Shanghai Bank collection currently.

Diameter:
- 4 loaves: 43mm
- 1 loaf: 29mm
Weight: unknown

Literature:

1) The Chips and Coupons in Old Shanghai, 2005 on page 71
2) The Coins of The British Commonwealth of Nations to the end of the reign of George VI 1952 Part 2 Asian Territories 1965 by F.Pridmore on page 323
3) The coins of Shanghai by T.Woodward on page 12-13.

The inscription on obverse of 1 loaf says: H.Evans & Co., below there are 2 chinese characters, which I think are phonetic pronunciation in Chinese, under them there are 4 chinese characters which means "one loaf of bread". The there is "1. loaf" and word "Shanghai". On reverse there is the name of the company within a ribbon: "H.Evans & Co". Below there in Latin: "Fortite in re" which means "With firmness in action". Under there is St. George's dragon and word: "Trade mark". The same design is on 4 loaves, except the fact that on obverse there is no phonetic pronunciation written in Chinese.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: H.Evans & Co. bread tokens (1858-1886)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:46:58 AM »
As I said I haven't seen so far 1/2 loaf and 2 loaves. I have only seen two pieces of 1 loaf with square center hole and two pieces of 1 laof without square center hole. Excpet that I have seen 2 pieces of 4 loaves.

That's all what I know about these tokens this company. I am happy to share with you. Thank you for your reading.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)