Author Topic: Old Shanghai bus tokens 1926 from 2nd set  (Read 7623 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Old Shanghai bus tokens 1926 from 2nd set
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »
Dear coin collectors and coin dealers,

This is my last post today about old Shanghai tokens. I would like to focus in this post on bus tokens from 2nd set, dated 1926.

Woodward says the 2-1/2 and 5 cent tokens were first issued sometime between 1924 and 1928. It is unclear whether they were still in circulation in 1937, but Woodward says they were made in the USA.

"C.G.O.Co.Ltd", the China General Omnibus Co.Ltd was a British-owned bus company and was established in Shanghai in 1922. However some sources of information says, that the company was established in 1924. The company was registered in Hong Kong, but all of its business is in Shanghai. J. A. Fredericks was a was a British man who founded "C.G.O.Co.Ltd". The company's first line opened to public in October of 1924.

The first line was from Bund to Jing'an Temple. The company introduced the second line in 1934 from Jing'an Temple to Hongkou Park.

China General Omnibus Co.Ltd company issued 3 sets of bus token:
1st set: 1922 1 cent, 2 cents and 3 cents.
1 cent and 2 cents are made of brass and 3 cents is made of copper-nickel.

2nd set: 1926 2 1/2 cent and 5 cents, where 2 1/2 cent is made of brass and 5 cents is made of copper-nickel alloy.

3rd set: 1939 1 cent, 3 cents and 5 cents
All bus tokens from 3rd set were made probably in Shanghai and those from 1st and 2nd set were made probably in US.
Those all 3 bus tokens from 3rd set are made of aluminium.
1 cent with JDS initials on reverse has 21mm in diameter and 2 mm in thickness.
Please notice that the reverse side of this token has the initials "JDS" written in cursive script. These initials stand for J.D. Shatler who was the General Manager of the company.
3 cents with number 3 on reverse has 24mm in diameter and 2,5mm in thickness
and finally 5 cents with number 5 on reverse has 27mm in diameter and 3mm thickness.
This is very common set, however also very interesting. There are letters hidden on the second set of Shanghai tokens as well (with 2-1/2 cut out and "5" hanging).

On 2 1/2 cent bus token on a obverse in a word "GOOD" in a second letter "O" is hidding tiny "M" letter. The different situation is when we take a look on 5 cents bus token. This one on the obverse has in the word "GOOD" I believe in second letter "O" has tiny "A" but I am not sure about this one. However I am 100% sure that there is tiny "M" letter in "D" letter hidden. Please check with your 5 cents bus token piece 1926 is there tiny "A" letter in a second letter "O". Reverses of both tokens don't have any hidden tiny letters. At least I didn't discovered it. Feel free to share your thoughts if you have some knowledge about those tokens. Thank you in advance.

If you like to collect old Shanghai tokens. I would like to recommand you catalog "The chips and coupons in old Shanghai". It has interesting tokens which are very nice to collect. Not only gold and silver shine.

I also have Shanghai cross river token or how collectors call it: ferry token. "Shanghai Ferry Company” was established in 1947, and in 1956 it became a communist government’s stated owned company. And currently, “Shanghai Ferry Company” operates all of the ferry lines on the Huangpu River. The picture I showed you here is a token issued during 1950's to 1970's. Currently the new style ferry token is still in use.

I didn't mentioned about bus fare in those old Shanghai bus tokens. Well, the standard bus fare is: first class (3 Cents, 6 Cents and 9 Cents according to different distence). Second class (2 Cents, 4 Cents, 6 Cents according to different distence). But in some years, the company changed the fares.

KONDi
CCC member 368
Shanghai/China
16:43
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

Re: Old Shanghai bus tokens 1926 from 2nd set
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
Dear all,

I got some updated information, which will fill my researches about 2nd issue of old Shanghai bus tokens 1926. First of all I would like to say thank you to Mr Paul Baker, who is a collector of transportation tokens from all over the world and also like me like to collect old Shanghai bus tokens.

According to Mr Baker. 5 cents cut out has 3 varieties:

1) The one which has clear tiny "A" (in second "O" letter) and clear tiny "M" (in "D" letter) in world of "GOOD". In word "LTD" in letter "D" there is also clear tiny "M"

2) The one which has no tiny "A" (in second "O" letter) and clear tiny "M" (in "D" letter) in world of "GOOD". In word "LTD" in letter "D" there is also clear tiny "M"

3) The one which has faint tiny "A" (in second "O" letter) and clear tiny "M" (in "D" letter) in world of "GOOD". In word "LTD" in letter "D" there is no tiny "M"

Mr Baker also noticed that all clear tiny "M" in a letter "D" of word "GOOD" are in a different location.

I also noticed by myself that the location of clear tiny "M" in a letter "D" of word "LTD" is also different.

I would like to say thank you to Mr Baker. This is great discover! Thanks to this now I know that my 5 cents cut out is a third variety:

3) The one which has faint tiny "A" (in second "O" letter) and clear tiny "M" (in "D" letter) in world of "GOOD". In word "LTD" in letter "D" there is no tiny "M"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:15:07 AM by KONDi »
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:19 AM »
Recently, when I was checking ebay. I found one 5 cents 1926 (from 2nd issue) and I discovered 4th variety for this token:)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L332-C-G-O-Co-LTD-SHANGHAI-GOOD-FOR-FIVE-CENTS-TOKEN-COIN-SEE-PICS-/350641796926?pt=UK_Coins_Tokens_RL&hash=item51a3e1373e

4) The one which has clear tiny "T" (in a first "O" letter), clear tiny "A" (in second "O" letter) and clear tiny "M" (in "D" letter) in word of "GOOD". In word "LTD" in letter "D" there is no tiny "M"

What is more clear ting "T" is a little bit bigger than tiny "A" and tiny "M" is half smaller than tiny "A" in word of "GOOD".

The same case is with 1st variety of this 5 cents token 1926...

1) The one which has clear tiny "A" (in second "O" letter) and clear tiny "M" (in "D" letter) in word of "GOOD". In word "LTD" in letter "D" there is also clear tiny "M"

...where tiny "M" is also half smaller than tiny "A" in word of "GOOD".

I think this is very interesting discover:) Enjoy:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
Dear all,

Recently I bought those 2 common old Shanghai bus tokens from 2nd issue (1926).
What is so interesting in those 2 new pieces comparing to my 2 old pieces which includes this post?
Well really nothing, except the fact that my new 5 cents is 4th variety and it is in AU condition :001_rolleyes:
Also 2 1/2 cent looks really beautiful. It is in AU/UNC condition. The only disadvantage of this 2 1/2 cent is a scar below bottom part of 2.
However I still love it N30
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
Dear all,

I think all of you will agree with me in saying: "find something rare in something common".

Well, this is what I did. I found an error 5 cents old Shanghai bus token from 2nd issue (1926)

It is as well in a beautiful condition as my 5 cents which I have just introduced you. This error 5 cents is rotated 90' degrees.

I must say this is the first time I have seen such of error in this set. This error 5 cents is as well 4th variety.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:43 AM »
I would like to dedicate this post to my friend Amber:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
Dear all,

I would like to share with you some interesting page with photos and some information about transport facilities in old Shanghai:

http://bbs.wlnews.zjol.com.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=328459&extra=&page=1
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
On the end of this day I would like to share with you some interesting article about "Shanghai's Wartime Emergency Money by John E.Sandrock"
on a p.10 there is interesting part, that we can see in 1939 these tokens where already popular among collectors N30
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:19:26 AM »
According to that what mentioned "Chinasmith" on  World of coins forum:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,16164.msg111103.html?PHPSESSID=19b3035b3aafe3272ec8054447e77884#msg111103

All together at this moment, there are 6 varieties. Those 4 above and those 2 mentioned by "Chinasmith":
2) AM hidden in 1st  O and D of GOOD  and M in D of LTD.
4) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  and M in C of CGO.

According to that what "Chinasmith" wrote:
The first person to report these hidden letters was Elmer Randall, who contacted me about them in 1998.

I also would like to say thank you to Mr Paul Baker. His 3 cents old Shanghai bus token from 1924 was the first higher resolution photographed piece where I could see some details. I was lucky to find my own piece.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline PCGS-ASIA

• Trade Count: (0)
    • PCGS-ASIA
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 02:52:20 AM »
Neat.

When I was in Nanjing around '97, they razed the corner across the street from where I lived.

Weeks later (no idea, don't ask) I was looking at a pile of refuse, and what did I see but the old bus stop sign that used to stand there.

About 2 feet in diameter, made of fiberglass epoxy, I ran and got a black trash bag.
Atop my trusty Fenghuang, I carried it under my arm until it was safe.
I shipped it home months later.

They replaced the old signs with little aluminum ones.

The lot now houses the electrical authority responsible for controlling the 3 gorges dam.  Like 43+ story building.

I'll post a picture when I dig it up.  So unique.  I had to have it.

Know what bus stop it states?  上海路。

:laugh:

Offline PCGS-ASIA

• Trade Count: (0)
    • PCGS-ASIA
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 02:55:04 AM »

Make that 3 feet.  Thing is large.  Very unwieldy!

Offline KONDi

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »
上海路 = Shanghai Road.

:)

That would be very interesting, try to dig it up PCGS-ASIA.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Dear all,

I have the new discovery in the New Chinese New Year---the year of snake 2013!!! N30

I found out that 5 cents old Shanghai bus token from 1926 (2nd issue) which is very common token has at least 6 varieties:

1) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  no hidden letters on the other side. (very common)
2) AM hidden in 1st  O and D of GOOD  and M in D of LTD. (I don't have this one yet, must be very rare)
3) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  and M in D of LTD. (rare)
4) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  and M in C of CGO. (not so many)
5) TAM hidden in 1st and 2nd O and D of GOOD (common)
6) M hidden in D of GOOD and M is D of LTD (rare--don't have this one)

So far I own nr 1), 3), 4) and 5)

still looking for nr 2) and 6)
...and the information what is standing behind those all small tiny letters: A, M and T. If you have some information which are standing behind those small letter. You can share with me and with the rest collectors.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
I found interesting information about tokens from this set:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/collection/2003-06/10/content_911501.htm
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
1) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  no hidden letters on the other side. (very common)
2) AM hidden in 1st  O and D of GOOD  and M in D of LTD. (I don't have this one yet, must be very rare)
3) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  and M in D of LTD. (rare)
4) AM hidden in 2nd O and D of GOOD  and M in C of CGO. (not so many)
5) TAM hidden in 1st and 2nd O and D of GOOD (common)
6) M hidden in D of GOOD and M is D of LTD (rare--GOT IT on 2013.02.16)

So far I own nr 1), 3), 4), 5) and 6)

still looking for nr 2)---the last one.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com