Author Topic: Baltimore coin show report  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
Baltimore coin show report
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
Chinese coins seemed to be the hottest coin sector at today's Baltimore show.  I saw more than one person going to table after table asking specifically if the dealer had any Chinese material.  Several dealers with pandas had their Panda Pricepedias handy to quote prices (no super deals to be found at those tables!). 

There were a few dealers with some higher end modern China material.  There was, however, very little high grade Empire/Republic material at the tables.  I think it is all going directly to auction.  I did see a Hupeh 1909 dollar Y-131 NGC XF for $600 at one table.  I came back a bit later to take another look at it and it had already been sold. I was able to get some solid prices for some of my extra silver pandas and a few better date 1/20 ounce gold pandas. 

I did pick up a few nice older Chinese minors from one dealer for an attractive price.  I sold about half of the surplus material that I was looking to unload (China and other countries).  I'll work the tables again tomorrow to sell the rest, and then buy one or two nice coins with the proceeds.

I'll try to remember to snap a few photos of the Chinese coin action to post on this site, or perhaps someone else that was there today took a few photos that they'll post?

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Baltimore coin show report
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Chinese coins seemed to be the hottest coin sector at today's Baltimore show.  I saw more than one person going to table after table asking specifically if the dealer had any Chinese material.  Several dealers with pandas had their Panda Pricepedias handy to quote prices (no super deals to be found at those tables!). 

There were a few dealers with some higher end modern China material.  There was, however, very little high grade Empire/Republic material at the tables.  I think it is all going directly to auction.  I did see a Hupeh 1909 dollar Y-131 NGC XF for $600 at one table.  I came back a bit later to take another look at it and it had already been sold. I was able to get some solid prices for some of my extra silver pandas and a few better date 1/20 ounce gold pandas. 

I did pick up a few nice older Chinese minors from one dealer for an attractive price.  I sold about half of the surplus material that I was looking to unload (China and other countries).  I'll work the tables again tomorrow to sell the rest, and then buy one or two nice coins with the proceeds.

I'll try to remember to snap a few photos of the Chinese coin action to post on this site, or perhaps someone else that was there today took a few photos that they'll post?

Great reporting! Pictures will be very nice. Enjoy the rest of the show.

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
Re: Baltimore coin show report
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:10:56 AM »
That's about 3900 yuan for a Hupeh dollar... It's probably about right, around feb/march the market price was already around 2600 yuan.