Author Topic: Heritage auction in Kowloon open for bidding  (Read 1674 times)

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Heritage auction in Kowloon open for bidding
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
Heritage has opened the internet bidding for the coin and currency auction to be held in Kowloon on December 8-9, 2016, at the Mira Hotel.  I have looked at the items on the Heritage website and now look forward to receiving a catalog.  This auction is being held in conjunction with the Hong Kong International Numismatic Fair (the relatively new coin show held in December and June of each year).

I consigned a few items from my collection to this auction.  Hopefully, someone will see my "stuff" and bid enough so that I receive somewhere near to market value for them. 

Consider attending these events.  Kowloon is pleasant in December (without doubt, when compared to the weather in western South Dakota).

Mark Bonke

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Heritage auction in Kowloon open for bidding
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »
Hi Mark,

How do I require a catalog from them? Thanks.

Offline GoldenLord

• Trade Count: (+6)

Offline bonke

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
I seem to get a catalog for world coin and world currency auctions.  I do not get catalogs for US coin and US currency auctions.  I do not know when or why Heritage decides to send catalogs to a particular person.  If you want to request a catalog for a particular auction, you should be able to do so at http://www.ha.com.  The catalogs are very nice and quite helpful when reviewing the items offered for sale in a particular auction.  Sometimes, I bid on and purchase items which are outside my interests because I see the picture and seem to expand my interests to coins from different countries.

Mark Bonke

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+46)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:08:50 AM »
Bidding recently ended on the MCC offerings from this auction. Some things I noticed were:
(Prices below are estimates that include buyer's premium)

1995 1/2: $14k and change
1998 1/2: $7.7k
1994 1/2: $6.5-7.7k range

Fair demand for early silver pandas, 1983 and 1985 moreso than 1984. Many last minute bids. 69 prices somewhat low as compared to highs.

2000 1/4 NGC 70: $1200

1996 12 Oz silver panda OMP: $4400
1995 12 Oz silver panda OMP: $3400
1994 12 Oz silver panda NGC69: $6000
1993 12 Oz silver panda OMP: $1315
1992 "   " OMP: 1200

1991 3.3Oz anniversary silver medal: $836

2000 1/2 gold panda: $2600
1992 1/2 gold panda: $1550

Offline bonke

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:40:37 AM »
The auction was very, very interesting. 

With the active bidding in the auction room at the Mira hotel, on Heritage Live and on the telephone, the auction took seven hours (with a 30 minute break for lunch).  It was obvious the bidders were "smart".   They seemed to have plenty of money, but they did not bid strongly on everything.  They carefully bid on certain items and let others pass.  The auctioneer was more than fair to remote bidders by reopening many lot items when bids appeared after she had awarded an item to someone in the room. 

Is there a benefit to being in the room?  Not really.  There is a benefit to being in Kowloon prior to the auction.  As a potential bidder, you have the opportunity to spend hours previewing the lot items to determine whether particular items are reasonable additions to your collection or inventory.

Did I take pictures of the auction room?  No.

Remember, session two starts on Friday morning (10am Hong Kong time) and Thursday night (US time) so there is still time to buy some more stuff for your collections.  I will be sitting in my hotel room, attempting to add a few items to my collection.  Many items in session two seem to be appropriate for the live auction.  I am puzzled by Heritage's reasoning in putting something in the live auction versus the internet auction.  Possibly, they want to have great stuff in both sessions so that we will take time to participate and bid. 

Mark Bonke