Author Topic: Coin Show in Jacksonville Florida  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
Coin Show in Jacksonville Florida
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »
A quick report from today's coin show in Jacksonville, Florida.  About 80 tables of dealers and light traffic of customers.

It didn't take me long to walk through all the tables, and there wasn't much to see regarding China. 

I saw one table with a dozen or so picked-over gold pandas.  For instance, he had a 1994 G1/20 OMP with red spots, and several raw 1992 MS G1oz and a 1988 proof set.  The best thing he had was a raw 1996 G1/2.  Since he was asking $1750 for it, I didn't bother to check for hairline damage or to check the variety.

I struck up a conversation with another dealer who had several silver pandas and a 2003 China G50Y Guanyin PF69.  That sure is a pretty coin with its iridescence.  He was asking $350 for it.  He said he had had a good batch of Chinese material, but he said he got "cleaned out" at last month's coin show in Tennessee.  He said he wished he had more of it because it was a good seller.

I asked a second dealer who had an assortment of world gold coins if he had any gold pandas.  He said, "I had a lot until last month.  I had about 20 ounces of different dates and sizes of gold pandas but they went quickly at one of the coin shows out West.  There was a mini panda feeding frenzy at my table and I ended up with $30,000.  I listened and remarked, "wow, I guess it is good to move the inventory so quickly so you can invest in new material"  He commented, under his breath, "yeah, material that I can't sell."

So there you have it.  I was in and out in less then an hour.  There wasn't much China material there, and what was there wasn't all that special.