Author Topic: Good Circulation (NGC News)  (Read 1020 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Good Circulation (NGC News)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
Sorry, Poconopenn, but you are jumping to a conclusion that's off-base. I had given my word not to publicly mention the railings prior to publication of the The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 2 and I kept my word.

To help put your mind at ease, there is no ulterior motive to crediting Panda Halves with this discovery. He certainly didn't give me anything other than some interesting information. Like I said, he is the person who showed me this feature first and that's why I credit him with the find. If I had already seen the same information on the Chinese Coin Forum, I would not have done that through two English and two Chinese editions of the book.

Also, like I said, I do not favor crediting the "discoverer" of coin features, largely because it leads to discussions like this. But Panda Halves showed me something that I thought deserved to be shared with other collectors. I had no way of knowing that there would be a later public discussion about it on this forum.

I appreciate your helpful advice that the date range for the railing design could be clearer (I was and am aware that this runs from 1989-1999, thank you) and that can be addressed in the next edition of the book.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
Now that the commercial break is over, maybe there is something more to say about circulating coins?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
.. not to publicly mention the railings prior to publication of the The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 2 ..
peter
 :001_unsure: N20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znh58WITU8

Agreed with Peter - original thread coin is Shenyang small.
( .. )

if this is shenyang mint ...

i'll eat my socks :001_tongue:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=7931.msg46602#msg46602

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 02:12:53 AM »
Games, W.G.? Who is playing games?

Following is a short email conversation from 2011 with Panda Halves. It demonstrates that he and I were using this feature to distinguish the mints of Pandas by that time. This is more than one year prior to the first discussion of this subject on the Chinese Coin Forum and the thread you have linked to. There are more than a dozen other emails that are even older that also reference the shape of the railings (or windows) of the Temple of Heaven on 1989-1999 Panda coins. This is why the discovery is correctly attributed to Panda Halves in The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 2 and 3.

The recent posts by you and Poconopenn just confirm for me what a mistake it is to credit people with "ownership" of a coin's features. There is always somebody whose feathers get ruffled.

Date: September 24, 2011 at 07:58:43 PDT
To: Peter Anthony <pricepedia@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Windows

Peter,
Yes. Useful metric for 1990's pandas.
: )
Maybe (XXX) should look at buying this one.

(Panda Halves)

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Peter Anthony <pricepedia@yahoo.com> wrote:

(Panda Halves),

Here is a Shanghai gold Panda that appears to have arched windows. It doesn't appear to be resealed, either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150666945942&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Best,
Peter

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 02:20:55 AM »
I agree it is a mistake to credit variety discovery to anyone, because it is so hard to confirm who deserves credit. 

In 2010 and 2011 a coin colleague shared with me notes from Huang Ruiyong about 30+ varieties for chinese pandas and later Huang spent time with me showing me even more details about pandas. Many of those varieties didn't show up in PA books until years later and many are still not present.  At the time the plan was Huang was working on his own book that would publish all this material and those that saw those notes were to keep it to themselves until the book's publication, which is why you rarely see me talk about varieties on the forum, because others often point them out to me (I am more investor type than a numismatic investigator) and I leave to them to publish the info. 

I hope he comes back to the market someday, his knowledge and passion for studying modern coins is second to none.  If someone knows what happened to him PM me, I have some info, but don't know rumors from facts.   

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
Who discovered the River Nile?
Who discovered the Americas?

My respectful opinion is that it doesn’t matter that the discovery of anything (within and without numismatics) is credited to a particular individual or group as long as the statement of attribution is crafted with the knowledge that someone else could have actually been the first, hence the placement of appropriate caveats in the attribution.

It is appropriate that individuals who have made important contributions to any field are recognized.

This is a general statement and does not refer to any particular individual or area of endeavor.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
I agree it is a mistake to credit variety discovery to anyone, because it is so hard to confirm who deserves credit. 

In 2010 and 2011 a coin colleague shared with me notes from Huang Ruiyong about 30+ varieties for chinese pandas and later Huang spent time with me showing me even more details about pandas. Many of those varieties didn't show up in PA books until years later and many are still not present.  At the time the plan was Huang was working on his own book that would publish all this material and those that saw those notes were to keep it to themselves until the book's publication, which is why you rarely see me talk about varieties on the forum, because others often point them out to me (I am more investor type than a numismatic investigator) and I leave to them to publish the info. 

I hope he comes back to the market someday, his knowledge and passion for studying modern coins is second to none.  If someone knows what happened to him PM me, I have some info, but don't know rumors from facts.   

Arif;  IF there are that many possible varieties of pandas then how about other MCC or circ coins/etc....?    There maybe many, many varieties undiscovered...

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:43 AM »
There are many varieties all over MCC.  There will be many errors to designate in the future.  It is early stage for MCC, give it 30-50 years to see how it turns out.