Author Topic: Buying 1989 China 1 oz silver "clear" Mirror fields Panda NGC MS 69 or better  (Read 3026 times)

Offline CoinWorld13

• Trade Count: (0)
Buying a 1989 China 1 ounce silver "clear" Panda with the Mirror fields.  NGC MS 69 or better. I honestly have never seen one. I know that there is a variety this year, and this is the ONLY coin variety that I need to complete my 1 ounce silver panda set with varieties. I am so excited. but I still have not ever found or even seen this variety. Even if you do not have the actual coin, I would love to learn more about it as well. I don't see it in Mr. Anthony's book, which scares me for both rarity and for being a real variety or not. I was wondering if someone could help me. Is it real? Or is it with the dyes or are they just PL quality? thank you all so much for any help you can give me. Obviously if it is a real distinction, I would like to buy one. I will not be happy with any white spots, or 3rd party misses like scratches or dye problems. I don't mean to sound harsh but you all know what it is like you don't only collect a set, but you want it whith the coins to look beautiful. Thank you all so much for your help.
Regards,
CoinWorld13
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline badon

I split this into its own topic so people can find it easier.

Offline CoinWorld13

I split this into its own topic so people can find it easier.

Thanks Badon! You as always are the best!! I tried to put it into a new topic as well.. But we both know how I am at the technical stuff.
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline Batman

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think ther is a mirror field 1989 silver panda?  I have never heard or seen of such of coin.

Offline CoinWorld13

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think ther is a mirror field 1989 silver panda?  I have never heard or seen of such of coin.

I have heard this rumor for a while. I first heard it at a local coin show. buynicething a member of the coin forum told me that in order to have all varieties I need this one. From what I understand It is a 1989 Panda 1 OZ Silver coin just like the ones we all know. However, unlike the business strikes that I have seen, it is supposed to have a mirror look to it. It is supposed to look like the proof, but just be a regular BU Panda. Again I have never seen this. I have heard from two or three people about it, most recently from buynicething. It could very well be a rumor, or just a case of mistaken identity. I have to admit, I felt a little off posting a topic looking for something I have never seen, and have never heard too much on. If anyone else has heard of this please chime in. Otherwise I will fade this question into the darkness. Batman, thank you so much for responding.  I do feel a little reassured if you have never heard of such a thing either.
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
It does exist.  When I first got it with P version, I thought they were same coins.  Didn't pay much attention to it.  I compared 3 coins, mirror BU is somewhere between proof and BU one.  I haven't sent them to NCS/NGC yet.  I bet it will be really shiny after NCS.  And NGC might label it as PF after NCS.  :lol:  I have seen them done that to my 97 1/2oz Silver BU Panda.

Offline CoinWorld13

It does exist.  When I first got it with P version, I thought they were same coins.  Didn't pay much attention to it.  I compared 3 coins, mirror BU is somewhere between proof and BU one.  I haven't sent them to NCS/NGC yet.  I bet it will be really shiny after NCS.  And NGC might label it as PF after NCS.  :lol:  I have seen them done that to my 97 1/2oz Silver BU Panda.

Pandagogzi, Ok thank you so much for letting me know this! Ok, well then back to the regular question. Buying 1989 "mirror field variety BU coin" 69 or above
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
Rumor is this coin is not BU version.  It was proof strike released before the one with P.

Offline CoinWorld13

Rumor is this coin is not BU version.  It was proof strike released before the one with P.

Leave it to you to find this information pandagongzi! Thank you! do you know where I can find one? thanks so much!
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Dear CoinWorld13,

I found 2 here in Shanghai. But I am not sure are those the ones whic you are looking for. Just take a look on pictures and judge by yourself. If one of them it is "clear" mirror fields Panda then just contact with me directly at cfrost1984@gmail.com

Best wishes,

KONDi
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline badon

I believe that is just a rumor, or maybe a fraud that has taken on a new life as a rumor. The same story used to get repeated credulously about the 1990 pandas. I studied the 1990 dies very carefully and ruled it out based on die identification. I haven't heard anything about them since. I believe the story for the 1990's started as a fraud to trick some unlucky buyer into paying too much for very nice, but still relatively common coins.

There are a few different varieties of the 1989 pandas, and all of them are collectible. I have not studied enough of them to be sure of this, but I suspect they are just minor die state varieties. If that is correct, then they were caused by keeping the dies in service longer than normal, and then reworking them to look decent so they could be used even longer. There are the mirror finish, and matte finish varieties, with a lot of variation in between.

Even though they might be minor varieties, the difference is so obvious for some coins that every collector of 1989 pandas should have them.

Offline Querikiol

Hi sir KONDi can I ask what is the certifate number of the last image? if that ok with you... I would like to put it in CC. Thank you and God bless.

Regards,
Querikiol

"Winter is Coming"

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Update this old thread with the Aug 2017 newsletter from NGC that 1989 silver 10Y panda now has a "mint state" and a "mint state proof like" varieties.
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6076/Modern-Chinese-Varieties-1989-Mint-State-and-Mint-State-PL-Silver-10Y-Panda/

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
NGC is a little slow in this area.