Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I suppose they've stuck with the decision to mint this in only the 20 oz size?
It seems sad they would end their series this way, any ideas why they chose to do this?
Chinese Panda Coins / Re: The importance of Master Sets
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Today at 11:39:51 AM »
I have done that many times, I even made 100 multi holder sets and then converted 30 of them back to single holder.  Every time you reholder you risk damage to the coin and it is expensive, roughly $17/coin, so to do it may cost you $3000.

I have been thinking of converting my 1/2oz ms70 collection to all core red holders, but don't want risk damaging the coins or worse they stop offering that holder in the future and now future purchase won't be matching. Also you need to submit 100 coins at a time to get special holders.

Finally it takes up a lot of space to store slabbed coins, which may be the biggest challenge, space in China is a luxury, while Americans live in large in 3000-7000 sqft homes, in china apartments are 500-1500 sqft so storing bulky collectibles is a challenge, same goes for safe deposit boxes. I don't know if Chinese trust banks to store their valuables.

I see Chinese collectors buying key coins or mini sets in holders, but entire master sets I don't if it is practical. Sets that trade at nice premium in holders are 12 piece lunar sets, year panda sets, silver panda set, proof sets, cultural coin sets, etc.
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Today at 11:12:41 AM »
Includes 1 from each year so 1983-1985, 1987 is included.

Someday a ngc set will be in demand, but it is very hard to make with matching labels/slabs.

One solution could be to first of all assemble the complete NGC '69 set (with different label designs and numbers) then send to NGC in one batch to get new labels and consecutive numbers. I don't know anyone who has done it but I can't see why it cannot be done.
Please check it out on the scans below and let me knows of what you think later there
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Today at 05:03:58 AM »
Includes 1 from each year so 1983-1985, 1987 is included.

Someday a ngc set will be in demand, but it is very hard to make with matching labels/slabs.
« Last post by moosician on Today at 04:24:56 AM »
With ngc getting more and more popular in China, im surprised there is no demand for say a ngc69 master set(as yet)?

Is there currently demand for Silver panda master sets? Does a set  include the 83~85,87 proofs or just the ms?
Chinese Numismatic News, Articles, Books / Re: Coins and Cannons
« Last post by PandaCollector on Today at 01:57:27 AM »
Here are a few more images of the Deshengmen coin museum. It is not very far away from Madian, the main coin market in Beijing, so the two places can make an interesting day trip. Visit the museum in the morning while the market is waking up. Afterward catch a taxi, or even walk, to Madian.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Today at 01:51:41 AM »
Simplest explanation of how the master set (1982-2017 1oz, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, 1/20, one of each coin from each date, varieties don't matter, coins at least ms68 quality) process plays out is:

1) Bank chooses several prominent mainland dealers to make certain number of sets with a fixed offer price
2) These dealers source coins from their own inventory, marketplace, online auctions and US/Germany dealers
3) Dealers sells the completed set to the bank in capsules and bank puts the coins in presentation case
4) Bank sells the completed set to their customers or customers buy the set to gift to someone - owners of the sets are investors, not collectors.
Repeat

The only variable is how many sets the bank orders in a given month.  If the number of sets ordered exceeds the inventory of coins available in the marketplace, prices rise for coins dealers are missing, because dealers are required to deliver the sets in order to protect their reputation. 

There are other set configurations beside the complete master set, such as a complete 1/10 series set, complete 1oz silver panda set, etc., some of these other sets are promoted not only in China but in Europe and US (telemarketing).

Nobody knows the end game, however, only 1000-2000 sets are possible so once they are all made then other configurations will become popular, trying to predict what those will be the challenge for the next 5-20 years.

There are two ways to make money, one is build your own master set and sell it to one of these dealers, second is buy up the coins that you think are difficult to find, buy them up and put them away until the price spikes on them. 

The more supply each of us takes off the market the faster prices will rise.  For now 1/2oz and 1/4oz are what limits how many master sets can be made.  There will come a day when other set configuration are made, say 1oz series set, then certain 1oz coins will limit how many sets can be made.

Choose who you sell your coins to carefully if are still invested in the market after you sell, ideal buyer is one that will put the coins away for a long time, rather than flip for quick profit.  I sell 85% of the 1oz, 1/10oz and 1/20oz, 65% of the 1/4oz and only 20% of the 1/2oz I receive in a given year.

Finally, once the market matures and supply is non-existent, then collector coins will become hot, 69s and 70s, varieties, errors, proof sets, etc.  I am holding my collection for this day, that is why I sell all ms68 coins to the master set builders.
« Last post by Mirkkanen on Today at 01:27:45 AM »
Yes, there's some sort of fancy, multi-level display case that we'very seen pictures of. Some member posted pics of a display within the past 15 months.
This is the depiction of a classical garden called Genyue in the ancient capital Bianjing (modern day Kaifeng) of the Song Dynasty. In this Wiki article, you can see some brief mentioning of the garden under Song Dynasty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_garden. More info is available here: https://www.ft.com/content/9120860e-a48a-11e3-9313-00144feab7de
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10