Author Topic: Huang Ruiyong's medal ranking list  (Read 11483 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Huang Ruiyong's medal ranking list
« on: October 14, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
I am posting the translations of Huang Ruiyong (Olive)'s medal star list. I sent it to a few members already, but I believe by posting it more members will benefit.

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Huang Ruiyong's medal ranking list
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »
WOW.

Shocking how far down the list the Pagoda medals are!

Under the Hong Kong Expo Medals from 1984, 1985, 1986.
Even under 5 oz Vault Protector from 1987.

And same ranking as 1990 Goldfish, and no mention of 1984 Goldfish by the way.  

Thank you Fwang.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
WOW.

Shocking how far down the list the Pagoda medals are!

Under the Hong Kong Expo Medals from 1984, 1985, 1986.
Even under 5 oz Vault Protector from 1987.

And same ranking as 1990 Goldfish, and no mention of 1984 Goldfish by the way. 

Thank you Fwang.
You are welcome. Please note that Huang's ranking is based on the ten criteria he laid out in his book "Ode to Grace in An Properous Age" (my translation), which includes mintage, design/workmanship/new technique, awards received, theme, popularity (sedimentation), among others, rather than mintage only.

Offline pandamania

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
Excellent information, thanks. How well received is Huang`s list in China?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »
Excellent information, thanks. How well received is Huang`s list in China?
It is widely received, as Huang is one of the few authorities on MCC. Besides, there is no other medal list to go by. Ge Zukang ranks some of the medals in his book, but not in such a convenient list form.

Offline pandaccumulator

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the information,fwang. Do you have the star ranking of "coins" similar to the medal? I habe Mr Gee's book, I wonder if there is any differences between the two.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
Thanks for the information,fwang. Do you have the star ranking of "coins" similar to the medal? I habe Mr Gee's book, I wonder if there is any differences between the two.
I believe this forum has his translated coin ranking list somewhere, but I do not have the link.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »
Hi Fwang:  We chatted about the silver medals earlier.   Many, if not the majority, of the silver medals I have not seen on ebay or in Mr. Ge's book.  81 World table tennis?  Is there a book that has photos of these medals?  Have any of them left China?   China must have a giganormous amount of medals.  As far as the silver medals I recognize the Great Wall makes sense as # 1.  The other familiar medals are the ANA, Munich, Expos, Pagodas, Goldfish and Gods of Longevity.  These medals are on ebay.  Basically all the silver medals on the list are the best to buy?  What this information is telling me is that most silver medals are not available and the best to buy for us in the US are the ANA, Munich, Expos, Pagodas, Goldfish and Gods.  Do you think this is a correct opinion?  Also the World market, excluding China, may have a different priority for silver medals.  Due to low mintage, such as the pagodas, the World market can easily buy up supply and raise price.  Is this correct?    thanks for the list..................

Offline Silverfever

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »
Its nice to see that the four blessings medal set is also on that list.

Available here.  :001_rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290776402798?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
Hi Fwang:  We chatted about the silver medals earlier.   Many, if not the majority, of the silver medals I have not seen on ebay or in Mr. Ge's book.  81 World table tennis?  Is there a book that has photos of these medals?  Have any of them left China?   China must have a giganormous amount of medals.  As far as the silver medals I recognize the Great Wall makes sense as # 1.  The other familiar medals are the ANA, Munich, Expos, Pagodas, Goldfish and Gods of Longevity.  These medals are on ebay.  Basically all the silver medals on the list are the best to buy?  What this information is telling me is that most silver medals are not available and the best to buy for us in the US are the ANA, Munich, Expos, Pagodas, Goldfish and Gods.  Do you think this is a correct opinion?  Also the World market, excluding China, may have a different priority for silver medals.  Due to low mintage, such as the pagodas, the World market can easily buy up supply and raise price.  Is this correct?    thanks for the list..................
It is true that many of the rare medals have disappeared from the market, like many of the rare coins on his coin list. Such coins/medals may once in a while appear on auctions, and are generally bartered among top collectors. We can have a glimpse of them when the collector is nice enough to share, like the copper pattern of the 30th anniversary of PRC on Wang Zheng's microblog.

The earlier medals were issued to international markets, but like the rare coins, many of them have been shipped back to China.

There are illustrated catelogs of Chinese coins and medals in addition to Mr. Ge's book. The rare medals are listed in there. But these books are not as available as Mr. Ge's book on international markets.

I really do not want to get into another discussion of the future value of medals. Personally I have nothing against them. Huang also emphasizes that medals should be part of the collection of advanced collectors. The problem is that there is a large group of not so advanced Chinese collectors who exclude medals from their collection. That is why these medals with low mintage are still available on the international market. There may come a day when the Chinese collectors realize the value of medals, and so drive up  the price. I really do not know. What I have observed is that pricing on eBay actually follows the trend in China at a certain percentage (generally lower), except for a few like pagodas and gold fish.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
I have more Chinese coins w/ yuan sign then medals.  But lately the 1980's large silver medal designs are more appealing.  The 3.3 oz God of Longevity is one that stands out as the design is unique.  Someday I hope to buy a graded 5 oz or 12 oz gold MCC.  Thats a good goal to reach for............

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »
I received formal approval from Huang Ruiyong to post the translations. He mentioned he had updated ranking lists of MCC coins and medals. I will ask him for the latest versions and post translations here on CCF.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
I received formal approval from Huang Ruiyong to post the translations. He mentioned he had updated ranking lists of MCC coins and medals. I will ask him for the latest versions and post translations here on CCF.
:thumbup:

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
I did some searching and the coin ranking list is here:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5352.0

With these two lists, we are all set.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
Hi all,

I just discovered this thread and downloaded the Huang Ruiyong list.

Please do inform me if you know; under the "Silver Medals" section on the first line which notes, "1982 5oz Great Wall first version (mirror), 1987 5oz Great Wall second version"......is that description correct in terms of year and weight? Or is that item supposed to be the 1984 3.3 oz. medal and the 1985 3.3 oz medal that other members on other threads here have mentioned and posted pictures of (like in this thread: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4488.0 ?

It's quite confusing to me.