Author Topic: Panda medals make return to ANA world’s fair of money in August  (Read 2370 times)

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Re: Panda medals make return to ANA world’s fair of money in August
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:26:04 PM »
How do you buy one of these coins and is it worth it to purchase??

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
Design is too "busy", IMO. Cool ideas, but too many crammed into one small coin.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Seems like there were too many chiefs in the kitchen designing this one.  The Germans are so much better at designing coins for their shows, they keep it simple and iconic. 

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
How do you buy one of these coins and is it worth it to purchase??

Most likely will be sold at the World's Fair of Money itself. I don't know if there will be pre-orders. The 1oz silver medals should be easily available at the Fair. Some may already be pre-graded if the FUN show example is followed. The gold and 12oz silver medals are likely to be in short supply given the low mintage. Dealers and the well connected may get first dibs. Clarification awaited.

What is a coin or medal worth to someone? Difficult question to answer. I am sure serial medal collectors will have no qualms scooping up what they need if the price makes sense to them.

If thinking of these new medals from an investment perspective they should broadly follow the same rules that pertain to other medals. I suspect these medals will appeal more to collectors than investors. As usual flippers could get into the action too!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 11:54:57 PM »
slightly off topic, but is this show worth attending? how does it compare to the long beach show, as far as MCC?

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 01:14:49 AM »
The Germans are so much better at designing coins for their shows, they keep it simple and iconic.  

Hi Arif. I am curious which German medals you are thinking of? The excellent 2016 Berlin Panda medal was designed in Shanghai without, I believe, German participation.
One of the guiding principles I was taught about advertising is that you should only have a single idea per ad. I think that can be applied to many areas of design.
Incidentally, the article is only partially correct about the design of the 1983 Pandas. The gold Panda design of that year is by Mr. Chen Jian, also of the Shanghai Mint.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline trozau

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:42:36 AM »
What's the deal with Troy ounce weights? Shouldn't they be in 30 grams size now?
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 01:47:46 AM »
I like the designs of the Munich pandas, they are elegant and simple in design with front having just panda and back having great wall and a Munich building.  IMHO whoever was in charge for those panda designs really understood how to make eye appealing coins.  The 1987 NY and 1990 Zurich are also a great designs.  

The ANA show is definitely worth attending, it is one of 2 shows I plan to set up (table #349) this year.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 06:46:53 AM »
I like the designs of the Munich pandas, they are elegant and simple in design with front having just panda and back having great wall and a Munich building.  IMHO whoever was in charge for those panda designs really understood how to make eye appealing coins.  The 1987 NY and 1990 Zurich are also a great designs. 

The twin towers NY panda :) my favorite:)  I was living and working in NY during 911 ............ If I ever had to sell my collection it would be the last coin I sold

The ANA show is definitely worth attending, it is one of 2 shows I plan to set up (table #349) this year.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 06:47:12 AM »
The twin towers NY panda :) my favorite:)  I was living and working in NY during 911 ............ If I ever had to sell my collection it would be the last coin I sold

Offline trozau

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 08:03:13 AM »
The twin towers NY panda :) my favorite:)  I was living and working in NY during 911 ............ If I ever had to sell my collection it would be the last coin I sold

The 1987 NY Panda medal is the only 1 troz issued in Au and Pt. The 1988 Basel Panda medal was issued in 1 troz Au only but was struck in both Au and Pt marked dies. Both great unique attributes that make them worthy to be part of anyone's collection.
trozau (troy ounce gold)

Offline trozau

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:26:04 AM »
^^^ Also, the 1987 NY Panda is the only Pt medal ever issued (IIRC).
trozau (troy ounce gold)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:42 PM »
The 1oz gold 2016 ANA panda medal is on pre-auction pre-sale on eBay (#302021670250) for $7495. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-1-OZ-GOLD-PANDA-ANA-SHOW-COIN-MINTAGE-OF-125-PRESALE-AUCTION-/302021670250?hash=item4651e4f56a:g:AkgAAOSw-YVXkxN1. This is a private enterprise initiative and not from the sponsors AFAIK.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »
One would have to assume that the seller knows what the 1 oz. Gold 2016 ANA medal will sell for. That the ANA price will be something less than their asking price and they are sure that they will obtain at least one of the medals. Interesting play.

Russ