Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 149042 times)

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »
KeepOnTrying,
I do not judge the writing or read quite that much into it.
I see it as an artistic expression, a point of view or experience.
It is reminiscent of other discourse I've read on the nothingness of man.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2015, 09:12:45 PM »
KeepOnTrying,
I do not judge the writing or read quite that much into it.
I see it as an artistic expression, a point of view or experience.
It is reminiscent of other discourse I've read on the nothingness of man.
I also was not judging the man and his writing. I was just extending the commentary on age and giving my perspective. Your mention of the nothingness of man is also deep! I'll have to ruminate on that for some time. Soon this thread will change into a discussion on existentialism!!
(I don't like writing "Lol" but my "!!" carries similar emotions!!)
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2015, 04:43:21 AM »
Fair enough my friend, life is short so let's make the most of it.  N40

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
Fair enough my friend, life is short so let's make the most of it.  N40
No problems. I "keep on trying" to enjoy life! Time definitely flies! Perhaps it is human perception or real. The virtually continuous hard work, from childhood onwards, to succeed and become a responsible member of the society often masks the passage of time. It's almost like you have to slow down time by forcing yourself to get some leisure time!

These MCC forums have been interesting. I have the rest of my mountain resort medals inbound. Then next to NGC for grading. Or is PCGS a better option for the Classical Garden medals? I have more of NGC graded coins than PCGS.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
As a collector I prefer OMP and have trust issues with NGC.
As a long term investor most of my graded are NGC but in the last several years I have began buying PCGS. FWIW, the PCGS coins/medals seem to be consistently better looking than I have seen in NGC.
Choose your poison?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
As a collector I prefer OMP and have trust issues with NGC.
As a long term investor most of my graded are NGC but in the last several years I have began buying PCGS. FWIW, the PCGS coins/medals seem to be consistently better looking than I have seen in NGC.
Choose your poison?
Yes! I have left recent purchases in their OMP for now due that same "trust issue". However the Mountain Resort silver and brass medals are being sold without their original OMP. They are being opened (for whatever reason I still don't understand/accept) and despatched enclosed only in the rigid plastic coin holder which at times is wrapped with cling film or enclosed with a new dealer applied pliable plastic pouch!

I don't like this because it means that the coins could now be contaminated with body oils, fluids (saliva), atmospheric pollutants and varying degrees water vapor. This is why I think I need to slab them. I am even wondering if I shouldn't send them first to NCS for "preventative" conservation (if there is anything like that) or straight to NGC/PCGS.

I like these classical garden medals. I want to make sure they are preserved in tip top condition!

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Yes! I have left recent purchases in their OMP for now due that same "trust issue". However the Mountain Resort silver and brass medals are being sold without their original OMP. They are being opened (for whatever reason I still don't understand/accept) and despatched enclosed only in the rigid plastic coin holder which at times is wrapped with cling film or enclosed with a new dealer applied pliable plastic pouch!

I don't like this because it means that the coins could now be contaminated with body oils, fluids (saliva), atmospheric pollutants and varying degrees water vapor. This is why I think I need to slab them. I am even wondering if I shouldn't send them first to NCS for "preventative" conservation (if there is anything like that) or straight to NGC/PCGS.

I like these classical garden medals. I want to make sure they are preserved in tip top condition!

An acetone soak with multiple deionized water rinses is possibly your best bet with the silver medals/coins.
Though the pictures posted of the medals being handled is concerning I have trouble giving much credence to a forum owner who calls the Chinese sponsors and dealers "Ball Sweat Monkeys".
Those are the rantings of a deranged mind IMO.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »
An acetone soak with multiple deionized water rinses is possibly your best bet with the silver medals/coins.
Though the pictures posted of the medals being handled is concerning I have trouble giving much credence to a forum owner who calls the Chinese sponsors and dealers "Ball Sweat Monkeys".
Those are the rantings of a deranged mind IMO.

Alas you make the same mistake many others continue to make the world over; trying to explain away gross misconduct and bad deeds on the basis of mental disease. This is nothing against you personally but that's how it is. You probably can't imaging how a sane person can say such things. But they do!

The "insanity plea" has never withstood critical legal and medical evaluation in the law courts except in very few instances. I have been dismayed at how well meaning people have been denigrated as they conduct their normal lives and social interaction. It is revolting to say the least but not unique; there is at least a recent history of increasingly foul language mixed into the usual diatribe. I have tried to keep away from it all but continued politically correct silence by all witnesses has to be regarded at some stage as acquiescence and complicity with what is been done.

It is paradoxical that the same individuals who have innovated a highly regarded medal series are now being dragged in the mud with onlookers just watching. This medal series has led to increased MCC collection offerings. Many mouths are being fed from the venture from design to production and marketing. It has provided material to keep segments of online forums ticking along nicely. The very people who are "feeding you" are being insulted. They are not just alone in this maltreatment; all associates, family and (dare I say) country folks, by association and proximity, have to bear the insults too.

There is a group of individuals in this world who think somehow that it is their God given right to exploit others and put them down at the same time! Unfortunately there is also a larger group that just standby and watch!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2015, 06:12:58 PM »
I was new to the forum about 4 yrs ago when the badon/CCF bad blood started.   Today, one side makes comments that yank one parties chains and they respond.   Then the other party yanks chains and the other respond.   Pretty soon we have a Simpson's TV show rerun.     Sadly the 1984 silver pagodas got dragged into this personality conflict and they soon became a unwanted MCC.   Good for the collectors of them as they were priced dirt cheap and have not gone up much in value since then.     So i post on both forums to clear the 84 silver pagoda name.   NGC has already done that.   Hopefully we can keep the disagreement focused on the parties involved and not on a MCC.   It does not look like it will come to a end so I choose to ignore it when possible.    We need both sites.   Other members should not be involved but they are at times.     Lets clear the 84 silver pagoda name, a on going process.....after all it is a unique and rare silver MCC medal.    If the China mint were to strike a new pagoda medal then maybe that is what it will take...........

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »
We will have to agree to disagree on the "deranged mind".
He is IMO mentally unsound and has a long history of predatory behavior that leads me to believe he is sick.
As to those who still contribute to that sad circus and are silent I would assume greed is their master.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
...Today, one side makes comments that yank one parties chains and they respond.   Then the other party yanks chains and the other respond.   Pretty soon we have a Simpson's TV show rerun.

Folks, this is one of the hot button topics that is best not revisited.  It will rapidly descend into futile personal attacks.  Let's stay above it, please.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
This is the Brass/Colored Brass COA for the just newly released 2015 Mountain Resort medals. You will notice that it is a combined COA for both the brass and colored brass medal. Thus out of a total of 600 original brass medals 180 were used for the subsequent production of the colored brass medal. The practical importance of my showing this COA is to highlight the fact that your colored brass medal may have a COA# above 180!!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2015, 11:25:33 PM »
This is the Brass/Colored Brass COA for the just newly released 2015 Mountain Resort medals. You will notice that it is a combined COA for both the brass and colored brass medal. Thus out of a total of 600 original brass medals 180 were used for the subsequent production of the colored brass medal. The practical importance of my showing this COA is to highlight the fact that your colored brass medal may have a COA# above 180!!

This is unlike the situation for the antique silver medal which has a separate COA from that of the regular silver medals. You will notice that out of the 500 planned mintage stated on the COA only 380 medals were eventually minted. Let's see if anyone receives a COA above 380!!!

This is all conjecture on my part. I may be wrong!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2015, 11:55:20 PM »
Given how culturally important COAs are in MCC collection, it is important to keep your COAs clear, clean, unstained and unmoldy! I am sure many of you already do this but I just started doing this in a concerted manner. I now file individual COAs in separate plastic PVC free envelopes. These are the same envelopes that are also used for protecting coin slabs from scratching. I leave the end unsealed to allow it breathe and toss in a few sachets of dessicant in the container holding the COA.

andrewlee10

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »

This coa a bit confusion. Will the colored brass medal cao stated clearly as colored brass medal?

It is or NOT the medal is still colored brass.