Author Topic: Is this the 2013 Wutai silver medal original mint packaging????  (Read 24979 times)

Offline fantom

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Is this the 2013 Wutai silver medal original mint packaging????
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:31 AM »
So that the original packaging from the China Mint!?  N24

?

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 07:19:54 AM »
It is a spectacular looking medal. Not only very high relief, but the design is exceptionally appealing. In my view, the Zeus coin is one of the worst designs I have ever seen. Of course, that's just my opinion but just from a simple anatomical vantage, the Zeus figure is very poorly rendered, very angular and not aesthetically appealing at all to me.

I'm sure you will be pleased. I specifically sought out a seller selling the medal in the original Mint packaging and the eBay seller thincat00 was the only one selling it in the original plastic pouch on eBay that I could find. Yes, I paid more because the medal is being sold in the original plastic pouch and my thinking is that at least I will get a medal that hasn't been already looked over and handled....I prefer virgin coins and medals whenever possible even if I pay a premium for it.

Now I must get back quickly to thincat00 and apologize for making the bad judgement opening up a case with my assumption that the Mint would not use what looks like a sandwich baggie.

In hindsight, I should have just waited for fwang's input in this thread as he has ALWAYS been very thorough in his research. We here on the China-mint forum are lucky to have his unrivaled research skills, his expertise and his experience and knowledge.

Thanks again fwang.

Hey Missing. Great intel.  Thanks again.  I went ahead and asked Thincat for an invoice to order one.  Looks like I'll have to get the other one graded.  Was just about to place the order for the 2nd one thru lucky again, but not now.  I didn't know it didn't have the wrap.  Oh well.  He's been good to me.  I'll just send it in to get graded, and the wrap or no wrap won't matter. LOL.  But you're right, how do I know there isn't finger prints, and oil marks and scratches, or 'ooopsie, dropped to the ground, let me brush it off, no one will know...'  Knowing my luck, all of the above. :-)  Appreciate the heads up sir.  And again thanks for sharing the info.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »
I can now say that thincat00 is a trustworthy and excellent seller. We finally communicated and he reminded me that the time difference was one of the reasons it took a long time to respond to me. I am putting thincat00 on the top of my list of eBay Chinese medal and coin sellers as he has been very polite even though I wrongly opened up a case against him (which I closed yesterday) because I was too impatient. I explained how to me, honesty is the most important quality I want when I am looking for a seller/dealer overseas. For me, it's worth it even to pay a little extra to get that piece of mind.

Offline ggoodluck2013

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
No problem,It is an original packing.such as the photos following

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
No problem,It is an original packing.such as the photos following
ggoodluck2013 was one of the dealers I consulted yesterday. He has been dealing in Chinese brass, bronze and silver medals for quite a few years.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
I can now say that thincat00 is a trustworthy and excellent seller. We finally communicated and he reminded me that the time difference was one of the reasons it took a long time to respond to me. I am putting thincat00 on the top of my list of eBay Chinese medal and coin sellers as he has been very polite even though I wrongly opened up a case against him (which I closed yesterday) because I was too impatient. I explained how to me, honesty is the most important quality I want when I am looking for a seller/dealer overseas. For me, it's worth it even to pay a little extra to get that piece of mind.
I am glad this got worked out, and that you are a happy customer. Thanks for your kind words about me, too!

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:27 AM »
Thank you ggoodluck for sharing those pictures.

Offline mowi

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:22 AM »
Thanks again fwang.

+1.

Plastic baggie OMP. :-O

Interesting! There is lots of knowledge in these treads.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
Here is the link to Shanghai Mint website. The page shows pictures of 51 silver medals issued by Shanghai Mint during last two years.

http://www.shmintjp.com/product/default.aspx?cate=21

Anyone with money can ask China Mint to issue medal as long as the person is willing to pay the production cost plus few percentage points as profit for Mint. The 2013 Wutai silver medal was commissioned by CCTV.com (China Central Television Network) and produced by Shenyang Mint. The privately commissioned medal is not considered as an "official China mint” product which requires the approval of the People's Bank of China. Most Pre-2000 medals are considered as “official China mint” medals. There is significant valuation difference between these two types of medal.

IMO, when CCTV starts to promote medals publically, it may be the start of the end of medal bull market. If you are a collector and like the design of those medals and willing to pay more than 2X of silver value, it is fine. However, if you are an investor/speculator, IMO, this is a very bad investment.

Here is another link to another silver medal commissioned by CCTV.com with a very similar design issued recently with a planned mintage of 1,500 and actual mintage of 1,000.

http://shop.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=25&ID=104737&replyID=104737

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »
Here is the link to Shanghai Mint website. The page shows pictures of 51 silver medals issued by Shanghai Mint during last two years.

http://www.shmintjp.com/product/default.aspx?cate=21

Anyone with money can ask China Mint to issue medal as long as the person is willing to pay the production cost plus few percentage points as profit for Mint. The 2013 Wutai silver medal was commissioned by CCTV.com (China Central Television Network) and produced by Shenyang Mint. The privately commissioned medal is not considered as an "official China mint” product which requires the approval of the People's Bank of China. Most Pre-2000 medals are considered as “official China mint” medals. There is significant valuation difference between these two types of medal.

IMO, when CCTV starts to promote medals publically, it may be the start of the end of medal bull market. If you are a collector and like the design of those medals and willing to pay more than 2X of silver value, it is fine. However, if you are an investor/speculator, IMO, this is a very bad investment.

Here is another link to another silver medal commissioned by CCTV.com with a very similar design issued recently with a planned mintage of 1,500 and actual mintage of 1,000.

http://shop.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=25&ID=104737&replyID=104737

Thanks for the reminder, poconopenn, but I find your tone on this medal somewhat negative. First, this medal is not to be mixed with the listing you gave at the end of the post. That one commissioned by CCTV was not minted by an official mint, designed by an unknown artist. Second, I have not found any information linking this Wutai medal designed by Liao Bo from Shenyang Mint to CCTV. I will appreciate it if you can provide more info on this. Third, this medal is widely praised among Chinese collectors, like its predecessor the Putuo medals from the same designer, which have already seen significant price appreciation.

I myself give cautious notes when some low mintage medals are found and talked about, especially medals commissioned by companies or individuals. But I do not see any reason to give the warning shot on this one. The theme, the series, the designer and the mint will guarantee its success in popularity, followed by price appreciation.

Disclosure: I do not own the Putuo or Wutai medals.

Here is the picture of the Shenyang Mint designer for this series, Liao  Bo.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
Here is the picture of COA. It is clearly commissioned by CCTV.com.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
Here is the picture of COA. It is clearly commissioned by CCTV.com.
The back page of the COA shows that Shenyang Mint is a partner of the cctv.com advertising program. It runs ads on CCTV.com. If you are not sure how the program works, please see the following links:

http://home.gz.soufun.com/news/2013-04-22/9956671.htm
http://www.dearland.com.cn/Article/jiemengyangshiwangdi_1.html

It is likely that this logo is printed on all COA's from Shenyang Mint. Our dealer friends can verify or falsify.

Offline ggoodluck2013

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
This medal was minted by Shenyang Mint,and total sold by Shenyang spring silver industrial company.In the middle of the COA on the left side ,It is the mark of Shenyang spring silver industrial company.
Shenyang spring Silver Industrial Company under the Shenyang Mint Co Ltd, its predecessor for the Shenyang Mint Industrial Company, is the Shenyang Mint limited self economic entity with independent legal person qualification, the company enjoys "the exclusive right to use the Shenyang Mint Co Ltd" trademark and brand
The relationship of them is similar to Shanghai Mint and Shanghai Shen Quan Industrial Co., Ltd.
Because Shenyang spring silver industrial corporation is advertising partners of CCTV.so the mark of CCTV appears in the top of the COA on the left side.
In China, CCTV is so famous,with CCTV on a relationship is to enhance the visibility of a shortcut,So no one will give up such a chance,so the mark of CCTV appears......
That is all the reasons

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:37:34 PM by ggoodluck2013 »

barsenault

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
This medal was minted by Shenyang Mint,and total sold by Shenyang spring silver industrial company.In the middle of the COA on the left side ,It is the mark of Shenyang spring silver industrial company.
Shenyang spring Silver Industrial Company under the Shenyang Mint Co Ltd, its predecessor for the Shenyang Mint Industrial Company, is the Shenyang Mint limited self economic entity with independent legal person qualification, the company enjoys "the exclusive right to use the Shenyang Mint Co Ltd" trademark and brand
The relationship of them is similar to Shanghai Mint and Shanghai Shen Quan Industrial Co., Ltd.
Because Shenyang spring silver industrial corporation is advertising partners of CCTV.so the mark of CCTV appears in the top of the COA on the left side.

And all this means.....what? Is this good or bad?  LOL.

Offline ggoodluck2013

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:35 PM »

I'm just explained the relationship between Shenyang Mint ,Shenyang spring silver industrial company and CCTV.
My conclusion is to say, the medal has no direct relation with CCTV