Author Topic: Is this the 2013 Wutai silver medal original mint packaging????  (Read 26976 times)

Offline mmissinglink

• Trade Count: (0)
I very recently purchased a beautiful China Wutai silver medal from a Chinese dealer on eBay.

The listing description claimed that the medal comes double sealed in the original Shenyang Mint plastic pouch.

I took pictures of the actual medal I received...is this what the original official Mint plastic pouches look like coming directly from the Mint? Would the Mint really use a little folded type of plastic baggie inside a plastic pouch? Or is this not how the medal comes directly from the Mint?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: Is this the 2013 Wutai silver medal original mint packaging????
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:58:49 PM »
I am far from being an expert on OMP but I have bought hundreds of coins and medals in OMP. I have never seen any come with the interior container being an oversized Ziploc baggie folded to fit inside the outer sealed pouch. They either came in a plastic capsule and then in the outer sealed pouch or just in the sealed pouch.

Russ

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:26 AM »

The listing description claimed that the medal comes double sealed in the original Shenyang Mint plastic pouch.
sure ... mistake of the "work shop"  :001_tongue:

Details:

Shenyang Mint 2013 four Foshan Manjushri 80g Silver Mountain China medal
Material: sterling silver. Weight: 80g. Release Date: 2013. Issued at: Shenyang Mint. Diameter: 45mm. Circulation: 999
http://www.luckpawnshop.com/shenyang-mint-2013-four-foshan-manjushri-80g-silver-mountain-chi-p-188.html

Hello, sir, please rest assured that I will properly handle this issue, indeed this is my work shop mistakes, please be assured

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=9736.msg57292#msg57292

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:50:50 AM »
I am beginning to get the picture that the seller was very dishonest in his listing description. The fact that a medal is in a sandwich baggie immediately raised suspicion for me but I first wanted to give the seller the benefit of the doubt just in case it is possible that the Mint does this. But I am beginning to feel quite sure now that this is not the way this Mint seals and ships medals. I hate dishonest people.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
Looks like you got "Lucky" (luckied?).
Been there, done that.. haven't been back.

Offline fantom

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
 sure ... mistake of the "work shop"

similar to that!

If it's the same seller, then everything is clear! lucklymoney ?

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »
Not lucklymoney...another well known eBay dealer from China. I want to give the opportunity for him to work it out before I post here the seller's eBay name. I don't want to be accused of being unfair.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
Wow, good detective work fwang.  N40

I am glad I did not open my big mouth.  :thumbup:

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »
fwang has again shown why I view him as the go-to-expert in matters of Modern Chinese medals and coins. Thank you fwang.

fwang, since you read Chinese, can you tell if the text in any of the links you provide say something like 'original mint sealed pouch' or anything like this. I have to determine quickly whether or not these zip lock baggies inside the outer plastic pouch are what the Shenyang Mint puts these medals in.

Thank you for helping me determine this.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »
fwang has again shown why I view him as the go-to-expert in matters of Modern Chinese medals and coins. Thank you fwang.

fwang, since you read Chinese, can you tell if the text in any of the links you provide say something like 'original mint sealed pouch' or anything like this. I have to determine quickly whether or not these zip lock baggies inside the outer plastic pouch are what the Shenyang Mint puts these medals in.

Thank you for helping me determine this.

No wording like that. I  will ask some medal dealers in China about the standard packaging of this medal.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:55 PM »
Thank you fwang...you are very kind to be so helpful and I appreciate it because I want to make things right as I jumped the gun (figure of speech) and earlier today opened up a case against the seller. I need to close the case a.s.a.p. if this medal is packaged and shipped from the Mint like that...but it is such a bizarre way for a Mint to package a medal that way. If I am wrong, I need to apologize to the seller after closing the case and then I want to make sure to continue to give this seller on eBay my business if it turns out that the medal is shipped that way from the Mint.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:29:41 PM »
Thank you fwang...you are very kind to be so helpful and I appreciate it because I want to make things right as I jumped the gun (figure of speech) and earlier today opened up a case against the seller. I need to close the case a.s.a.p. if this medal is packaged and shipped from the Mint like that...but it is such a bizarre way for a Mint to package a medal that way. If I am wrong, I need to apologize to the seller after closing the case and then I want to make sure to continue to give this seller on eBay my business if it turns out that the medal is shipped that way from the Mint.
Two medal dealers in China confirmed that this is the original packaging from Shenyang Mint, the reason being the high relief of the medal, which may rub against a plastic capsule.

barsenault

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
fwang and missing, thanks for the info.  Good to know before I get my 2 medals soon.  Now I won't be surprised. LOL.  Missing is it beautiful?  I can't wait to see it in my hand.  Although that wrapping is quite interesting. But heck, better than the PM issuing Zeus without a capsule.  Beautiful medal!

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
It is a spectacular looking medal. Not only very high relief, but the design is exceptionally appealing. In my view, the Zeus coin is one of the worst designs I have ever seen. Of course, that's just my opinion but just from a simple anatomical vantage, the Zeus figure is very poorly rendered, very angular and not aesthetically appealing at all to me.

I'm sure you will be pleased. I specifically sought out a seller selling the medal in the original Mint packaging and the eBay seller thincat00 was the only one selling it in the original plastic pouch on eBay that I could find. Yes, I paid more because the medal is being sold in the original plastic pouch and my thinking is that at least I will get a medal that hasn't been already looked over and handled....I prefer virgin coins and medals whenever possible even if I pay a premium for it.

Now I must get back quickly to thincat00 and apologize for making the bad judgement opening up a case with my assumption that the Mint would not use what looks like a sandwich baggie.

In hindsight, I should have just waited for fwang's input in this thread as he has ALWAYS been very thorough in his research. We here on the China-mint forum are lucky to have his unrivaled research skills, his expertise and his experience and knowledge.

Thanks again fwang.