Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 142524 times)

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
Hey Frank are these mintage amounts still accurate?  :001_tt2: 20 Copper?  That thing going for about 20K?   N4  Probably as much as the infamous Antique Nanjing Panda?  :drool:   :drool:

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
looking good Frank.  Can't wait to see it in hand.  Thanks for sharing.  I believe there is one more to come to complete the series?  Thanks again.
There are three more to come, two for two Suzhou gardens; the other closing medal will have all the images of the series on it.

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2015, 07:53:39 PM »
Hey Frank are these mintage amounts still accurate?  :001_tt2: 20 Copper?  That thing going for about 20K?   N4  Probably as much as the infamous Antique Nanjing Panda?  :drool:   :drool:

The copper version is purely for gifts, not for sale. Those who receive it will have it for free.

barsenault

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »
The copper version is purely for gifts, not for sale. Those who receive it will have it for free.

thanks for the info.  Good stuff.  I'm not sure I follow your thought about the 'closing medal will have all the images...'  Interesting.   :001_tt1:

Also, I'm sure if we see one of those 'free gifts' on eBay, it will be 10K.  N20   :lol:

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2015, 08:14:02 PM »
thanks for the info.  Good stuff.  I'm not sure I follow your thought about the 'closing medal will have all the images...'  Interesting.   :001_tt1:

Also, I'm sure if we see one of those 'free gifts' on eBay, it will be 10K.  N20
If you remember the coin that was issued at the end of the first round of lunar coins, you will know what I mean, but I am attaching a picture for your reference.

Don't fall into the mintage trap with medals.

barsenault

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
If you remember the coin that was issued at the end of the first round of lunar coins, you will know what I mean, but I am attaching a picture for your reference.

Don't fall into the mintage trap with medals.

Ah, got it, makes sense Frank.  I know, I'm having fun with you about those 20 copper.  I'm not a buyer of one of those, unless it will be about 200.00 U.S.  :w00t:

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
Nice, thank you.  N48
Has anyone released a picture of the gold?
Would you explain the "mintage trap"?

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
How about this theoretical scenario?

A sponsor designs rather a rather low-mintage series, enough to get collectors and investors to buy in based on
Low Mintage rarity.

Then each year, they slightly change the design... And lower the mintage...  Until the last years where
a frenzy of sorts builds for those collectors who have bought in, invested heavily, and find they are spending ridiculously high amounts in an effort to complete their series?  

Game of "Musical chairs", anyone?
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »
I am attaching the picture of the gold.

Please see this link for "mintage trap": http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11367.msg66010#msg66010

barsenault

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »
hello Frank, quick question, there doesn't seem to be a lot of high relief on these, BUT, obviously the image is straight on so I can't tell.  Is there high relief details on these medals?  Thanks much.

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
hello Frank, quick question, there doesn't seem to be a lot of high relief on these, BUT, obviously the image is straight on so I can't tell.  Is there high relief details on these medals?  Thanks much.
The other side is high relief, at least as high as the Old Summer Palace/Yuanmingyuan. But they did not provide a good picture. This side is flatter because you cannot have both sides in high relief.

barsenault

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Thanks so much Frank. I was hoping at least one side was high relief.  That's great.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
Thank you Hippanda for your help in spelling it out.

Please see this link for "mintage trap": http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11367.msg66010#msg66010

Ah yes, lest we forget.

Now that Bob mentioned me saying the "mintage trap", I might as well explain it a little further.

Rarity is the top priority with circulating coins, whether it is a pattern, a bank specimen, a trial strike or a survivor of melting/confiscation/aborted production run. Circulating coins are strictly controlled and regulated by the government. They normally have a humongous mintage. Circulating coins with a small mintage are exceptions and as such they are very special.

With medals, often the mintage is determined by the mint or the private group/person commissioning the medal. The mintage can be manipulated to the advantage of the sponsors/commissioners. It can be artificially very small. If we apply the same rules as those for circulating coins and blindly seek rarity with medals, we may fall into the mintage trap.

I am not saying rarity is not important with medals. The Great Wall silver medals are extremely rare and highly sought after. There are some early brass medals mostly from Shanghai Mint which have a tiny surviving mintage due to loss after their release. (Who cared about brass medals with little melting  value?) Their current rarity was not intentional at the time of striking. Before someone decides to fork out a large sum of money for a new medal of a small mintage, beware of the difference between circulating coins and medals. There are tons of such medals of a small mintage out there, and more are on the way. If I see a piedfort version of the Nanjing pandas with an even smaller mintage, I won't be surprised at all. Keeping a perspective on it will save us from falling into the mintage trap.

Online fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »
Here is a picture of the lion side of the silver version.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »
Here is a picture of the lion side of the silver version.
It will be interesting to determine which metal type best showcases this medal's attributes!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!