Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 157562 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
A souvenir medal I got for 99 cents on eBay :)

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »
wow. that is nice.  frank sure does know how  to pick the diamonds in the rough.  wow. wow. wow.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
I came across the following interesting materials that relate to the Lan Ting Medal.

1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Dynasties_poetry#/media/File:Meandering_Stream_at_Lan-ting_Yamamoto_Jakurin_Hanging_scroll_color_on_silk.jpg

A Japanese painting of the Lan Ting with what seems to be poetry and yes wine drinking going on. I must stress that impromptu poetry composition seems to have been the main feature of the exercise and no the other way round!

2. http://www.chinatouradvisors.com/blog/Appreciate-Wang-Xi-Zhis-Calligraphy-in-Lanting-2032.html

This provides additional insight into Lan Ting and associated happenings. Every year there is an International Calligraphy Festival held in Lan Ting in honor of Wang Xizhi the author of Lanting Xu. This work has been described as "the most famous piece of calligraphy work ever". You will see a photo of a modern re-enactment of the ancient game called "Qu Shui Liu Shang" during which Wang Xizhu supposedly wrote the "Orchid Pavillon", another name for Lan Ting!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
SANDAC, I took the same photo as you did from the same postion, 22 years later! I am trying to upload it, hopefully successfully. This is my first upload on CCF.
KOT,
Thanks for the updated pictures.  32 years went by quickly, indeed.

So what happened to the lotus in the pond?  I thought viewing the lotus was the whole point of that part of the garden.

I have the 1982 version of the infamous marble boat.  Look like they jazzed up the pillars with "animal prints" over last 32 years.   :001_tongue:

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
KOT,
Thanks for the updated pictures.  32 years went by quickly, indeed.

So what happened to the lotus in the pond?  I thought viewing the lotus was the whole point of that part of the garden.

I have the 1982 version of the infamous marble boat.  Look like they jazzed up the pillars with "animal prints" over last 32 years.   :001_tongue:

I don't know what happened to the lotus! I was there in early spring. Are they seasonal? Was the lake cleaned up? I tried to upload some photos of 200-300 year old trees, and vegetation but the server said I had exceeded my 3000 kb allowance (for the session, day or forever?). I'll try again today or tomorrow depending on feasibility.

I thought I knew enough of China before my trip but it turned out there was a lot I did not know. Hopefully, I'll go back someday more enlightened and can then ask for the lotus specifically!!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Lotus is dormant until about late April, so maybe they just cleaned up the debris from last winter.  Lotus should be flowering by now.

You can upload pictures up to 3 meg in size.  There is also a maximum pixel restriction of 16 megapixels, that is to say the width x height of the picture in pixels can't exceed 16 million.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
A souvenir medal I got for 99 cents on eBay :)
I bought a souvenir Great Wall "bronze" medal for my self at the foot of the hill gift shop after I stagerred down from an attempt to climb part of the Great Wall! What no one tells you before hand is that you have to train for some weeks or months as if for a marathon before trying to climb that wall!!!! At a stage it wasn't my legs doing the climbing anymore, it was my hands pulling on the rails to help propel me forward. There were frequent breaks along the way and I saw it was acceptable to sit down on the steps from time to time and pant for dear life; many others were doing the same. I climbed past most adults in the group; only those crazy kids kept on climbing. Many of them got to the summit. Going down the steps was not a cakewalk either! I am satisfied with what I achieved. I have the medal hanging by my bedside to remind me that I am one of the "heros" who have climbed the Great Wall! I probably should read what is written on that medal tonight!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
Lotus is dormant until about late April, so maybe they just cleaned up the debris from last winter.  Lotus should be flowering by now.

You can upload pictures up to 3 meg in size.  There is also a maximum pixel restriction of 16 megapixels, that is to say the width x height of the picture in pixels can't exceed 16 million.
I have to go back to my photo file to see what the size is. But they were taken at the same time with those photos I already uploaded. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
I have to go back to my photo file to see what the size is. But they were taken at the same time with those photos I already uploaded. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Here we go! Flowering tree at the Summer Palace Garden in early spring. The lotus was not yet blooming at the time of my visit; they are hard to miss!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2015, 09:17:37 PM »
Many trees at the Summer Palace Garden are several hundred years' old. Each tree is tagged and registered in the government files. I am trying to remember what the color tag means. I guess Green means 200 years+ and Red means 300 years+. I may be wrong.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2015, 04:01:59 AM »
But one can hardly realize how fast we will grow old.
When we become tired of our desires
and the circumstances changes,
grief will come.
What we have been interested in
will soon be a relic.
We can’t help but lament.
Whether life is long or short is up to destiny,
but it will all end in nothingness.
I came across the following interesting materials that relate to the Lan Ting Medal.

1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Dynasties_poetry#/media/File:Meandering_Stream_at_Lan-ting_Yamamoto_Jakurin_Hanging_scroll_color_on_silk.jpg

A Japanese painting of the Lan Ting with what seems to be poetry and yes wine drinking going on. I must stress that impromptu poetry composition seems to have been the main feature of the exercise and no the other way round!

2. http://www.chinatouradvisors.com/blog/Appreciate-Wang-Xi-Zhis-Calligraphy-in-Lanting-2032.html

This provides additional insight into Lan Ting and associated happenings. Every year there is an International Calligraphy Festival held in Lan Ting in honor of Wang Xizhi the author of Lanting Xu. This work has been described as "the most famous piece of calligraphy work ever". You will see a photo of a modern re-enactment of the ancient game called "Qu Shui Liu Shang" during which Wang Xizhu supposedly wrote the "Orchid Pavillon", another name for Lan Ting!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »

NBM did you write this poem or was it by Wang Xizhu?

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
NBM did you write this poem or was it by Wang Xizhu?

Wang Xizhi (王羲之), from the 1rst link.

"The "Preface (Lantingji Xu)" to the poems is particularly famous in regard to the art of calligraphy."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantingji_Xu

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
Wang Xizhi (王羲之), from the 1rst link.

"The "Preface (Lantingji Xu)" to the poems is particularly famous in regard to the art of calligraphy."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantingji_Xu

This is a sad poem written about a phase of life that does not necessarily have to be so. Who knows what Wang Xizhi, the author's perspective was? Did he write the poem when he was already "old" and experiencing what he wrote about? Or did he see it in other people's lives? If the latter, did he envisage having similar experiences when he got old? What happened to you when you got old in ancient China?

If I should continue the questioning, what happens to old people in modern China? Is it different from what others experience in other parts of the world? By the way, what is old age? 100 years, 90, 80, ..........?!!!

Old age is a time of reflection of life lived, the experience of it all, the successes and failures, the joys and sorrows. It is also a time of self-judgement, the results of which contribute to the tone of your subsequent years on earth. The regrets and self castigation.

Old age is a time of increased vulnerability, not just to disease but to exploitation by others and harm. Humans are predatory; perceived "weaker" members are fair game! The vulnerability also has to do with the reduced ability to adapt to changing environments, specifically financial and professional/vocational. If you have not built up an adequate and resilient nest egg by then you may be forced to remain in the workplace for longer than planned, or rely on others for sustenance. You may not be as strong as you used to be and not very retrainable at work!

Yet, age is wisdom! There are many parts of the world where old age is respected and honored. Your experience of life is valued by all around you and your wise counsel is always sought for the purpose of avoiding pitfalls that confront the younger members of the family or societal unit. There are parts of the world where women become more respected as they get older and assume more communal authority and functions.

There are parts of the world where the inevitability of old age decline is not accepted. The mind set is different. The fact that you are getting older does not mean that any thing changes for you. Yes, you are getting older but you realize that "life continues" and nothing changes. Yes, you are getting slower but it does not mean that you are ready for the junkyard!

This is when you optimize your life and functions, understand your overall state of health and introduce interventions to protect and strengthen your physiological functions. This is when many begin to frequent the vitamins and minerals' aisle at the supermarkets, and start/maintain physical exercise regimens. Deliberate efforts at maintaining mental functions also occur at this time. If you are right handed you are told to use your left hand more often than before for example, soap yourself with your left hand! Do more crossword puzzles, try sudoku!

Yes, just as Wang Xizhi intoned, age comes at you fast. Our energy levels drop. The drive decreases. You get tired of fighting the same battles. You just want to throw in the towel. There may be circumstances beyond your control; you may be very sick and truly dependent on others for the rest of your life. If so accept it with grace but always maintain your dignity.

Life boils down to not giving up! You have to continue doing as much as you can. Chin up, enjoy life and don't give up. Life continues until the last breath!

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »
OH:
First, we didn’t manipulate the supply and demand. What we are doing is to protect the benefits of the mainland collectors. Like what trouble mentioned, the issue price is RMB700, we are now offering RMB880 to buyback from collectors. If they think we are just manipulating the supply, they can choose to sell back to us for RMB180 profit. But so far, nobody wants to sell us ! I believe collectors are clever enough to judge whether the medals worth this price. 

Second, the dealers don’t earn huge profit like lucky does in the products he developed. Is USD30-50 profit considered huge profit? Then what do you think the profit of selling Nanjing Panda/Lunar goat? How ridiculous you are. Admit it, you are unhappy just because you could not get the stock at close to issue price and flip it at profit just like u did in Lunar goat and Nanjing panda!. Well, I hope I could get few pcs Nanjing Panda at issue price too. Perhaps, I need your help to get it from lucky since you are have good relationship with him.

Nobody would pay crazy price for the item that they don’t think it worth that value. Market will adjust itself.

Lastly, I saw your disclaimer. But I did see many criminals claim that they are good guys as well.
This is my last post in responding this issue. I let the others judge the facts by themselves.

Lol!
/nailed it